weird Portuguese translations for creature type bird

Everything that's missing in the Magic Rarities, Magic Card Sets, Magic Memorabilia and Magazine and Comics Galleries Sections.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

weird Portuguese translations for creature type bird

Post by mmgun » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm

I recently became aware of some weird translation on portuguese cards, that are all related to creature type "Bird"
First i thought this was a simple error, but several cards were affected, so i did more research.

These cards are affected:

Keeper of the Nine Gales
Raven Guild Initiate
Soulcatchers' Aerie
Seaside Haven
Airborne Aid
Aven Brigadier
Aven Warhawk
Celestial Gatekeeper
Cloudreach Cavalry
Crookclaw Elder

All cards use in their portuguese translation the word "bird" twice ( "Ave" = bird and "passaro" = bird.)

Example:
Seaside Haven

english original text:
.... Sacrifice a bird: Draw a card.

translates to:
.... Sacrifique um Pássaro ou uma Ave: Compre um card.

which means in english:
.... Sacrifice a bird or a bird: Draw a card.

I already asked a portuguese native speaker about this issue.
He explained, one word is used in european portuguese and the other is used in brazilian portuguese for bird.
Wotc probably did not want to discriminate either nations players, so they used both words.
This only affects sets from Judgment to Scourge.
Earlier sets were probably not yet made for the brazilian market, since famous example Invasions "Kangee, the Aerie Keeper" just refers to "AVE"

Both words "Ave" and "passaro" are still used as a creature type even on recent sets. Usually Bird tokens use "Ave" and all the Phoenix like firebirds use "passaro".
Maybe another portuguese native speaker has additional infos about this.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:56 pm

I only know two words of Portuguese "Bon Dia".

I can say, though, that Portuguese publications have always calculated in the Brazilian market. In fact that is what carried the day in deciding if magic would be printed in Portuguese.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.