japanese mirage printrun variations

Everything that's missing in the Magic Rarities, Magic Card Sets, Magic Memorabilia and Magazine and Comics Galleries Sections.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

japanese mirage printrun variations

Post by mmgun » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 pm

As alexis posted this link to japanese misprints
( http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 1&start=30) i did some further research and it become more and more weird.
Somehow there are many cards with print variations ( beside the color issue and the RPG magazine promos sandbar crocodile and zalfirin knight), which makes it almost obvious we have somehow a made in USA and made in Belgium Set.

Alexis started it with the "Dirtwater Wraith" Variation.
(http://66272.diarynote.jp/201104190657002903/)

I encountered these variations as well:

Plains with missing letter "r" in Artist Name ,i dont know if both version for each plains exist:

Telim Tor with different flavor text:

Grasslands with last line of text missing ( know error from SQUT page)

Subterran spirit with different flavor text

Patagia Golem with all Flavor Text in Rules font and in correct font:

Ward of Light last textline missing and correct version:

Sorry for the partially bad pictures , but i do not own some of those cards.

I asked a japanese shop to check their stock for more of those variations, they will come back to me with more infos, but it might take a while.

Does anyone of you got multiple copies of japanese mirage cards to check for more variations ?

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:28 am

Very interesting!

I think sometimes the sheet layout for cards destined for boosters can differ for those destined for starters. If this was the case for Japanese Mirage, it might not be a case of US vs. Belgium, and more a case of booster vs. starter versions.

I've only opened booster packs of Japanese Mirage, I do have 1 sealed starter deck, but dare not open it to check this until I get another.

Anyone got a starter to sell/open? :)

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:51 am

Hi mmgun

I didn't know that "Dirtwater Wraith" Variation. will bring a Pandora Box...Finding sealed Japanese Booster or Starter is a Nightmare....I don't own any.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:29 pm

If there are multiple copies of the same card on a sheet you can end up with variations within a single print run. This had happened before but I don't if that's the case for Mirage.

I have some sealed boosters still but I don't want to open them

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 am

This is really not my area of at least a little knowledge but were there any other printings of Mirage? There are no theme decks or starter sets that I see listed on the sets page but how about things like special boxes that had boosters from different places (Vanguard or some such?).

Just a thought as some of these differences are really really different.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:This is really not my area of at least a little knowledge but were there any other printings of Mirage? There are no theme decks or starter sets that I see listed on the sets page but how about things like special boxes that had boosters from different places (Vanguard or some such?).

Just a thought as some of these differences are really really different.

Gary
There should only be boosters and starters. Not sure if there was US and Belgium printings.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue May 27, 2014 12:54 pm

I got some feedback from the japanese shop. There is a cardguide from Hobby japan, where all or many of those mirage variations are listed. Does anyone have this ?

Trading Card Game Guide Series Link

Trading Card Game Guide Series

Release, publisher Hobby Japan . It is not goods handling code books , etc. . In about 30 pages in A4 size brochure about the movie just . ¥ 500 list price .

Story and characters , Q & A and the rule description , theme deck commentary , content , card list . However , both the contents of the introduction about very simple . Publication to Prophecy . You have no articles such as Volume 19 of the last , only with an illustrated card list of the seventh edition .

Introductory guide
5th edition correspondence Getting Started Guide
Mirage Visions Weatherlight guide
Tempest Guide
Stronghold Guide
Exodus Guide
Urza's Saga Guide
6th edition correspondence Getting Started Guide
Urza's Legacy Guide
Urza's Destiny Guide
Mercadian Masques Guide
Japanese full version card list
Nemesis Guide
Japanese version card rules text Collection ( 1)
Prophecy Guide
Getting Started Guide 2000
Japanese version card rules text Collection ( 2 )
Magic Comprehensive Rules
Seventh Edition card catalog

トレーディングカードゲーム・ガイドシリーズ

発売・発行元はホビージャパン。書籍コード等はなくグッズ扱いである。 A4版で約30ページで、ちょうど映画のパンフレット程度。定価500円。

内容は、登場人物とストーリー、ルール説明及びQ&A、テーマデッキ解説、カードリスト。ただし、いずれも非常に簡単な紹介程度の内容。 プロフェシーまで刊行。最後の19巻は記事等は一切なく、第7版のイラスト付きカードリストのみ。

入門ガイド
入門ガイド 第5版対応
ミラージュ・ビジョンズ・ウェザーライトガイド
テンペスト・ガイド
ストロングホールド・ガイド
エクソダス・ガイド
ウルザズ・サーガ・ガイド
入門ガイド 第6版対応
ウルザズ・レガシー・ガイド
ウルザズ・デスティニー・ガイド
メルカディアン・マスクス・ガイド
日本語版完全カードリスト
ネメシス・ガイド
日本語版カードルールテキスト集(1)
プロフェシー・ガイド
入門ガイド2000
日本語版カードルールテキスト集(2)
マジック総合ルール
第7版カードカタログ

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:55 pm

More Confirmed Variations for japanese Mirage. The "dark" version seems not always to be the wrong one.

Cards where a part of the Flavor Texyt is missing, but its unknown yet, if a correct version exist, any input welcome:

Early Harvest is missing the line " Love Song of Night and Day" , the other two cards next to it have it.
Jabaris Influence is Missing the Line " Sidar Jabari" , the other two cards next to it have it.

Crimson Hellkite is missing the Line " Rashida Scalebane" , , the other two cards next to it have it.

More examples for Light and Dark version:

The Purgatory dark version seems to have a different name, however the japanese letter is just crippled and therefore looks different due to the background color overlapping the white of the letter.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 pm

Another variation: Dirtwater Wraith confirmed.

This scan is still missing on the website, Promo and Regular Talrum Champion, i dont know which is the promo. Difference is in the flavor text, first line last letter.

Another japanese print variation, this time the wrong card comes from the DarkSteel Precon Deck "Master Blaster" , has an additional letter in last line of flavor text.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:27 pm

mmgun wrote: This scan is still missing on the website, Promo and Regular Talrum Champion, i dont know which is the promo. Difference is in the flavor text, first line last letter.

The one on the right is the Standard version. So, for the Promo RPG version: Different font size and style and flavor text is positioned in a different way.

Zhalfirin Knight Promo RPG: Different font size and style and different flavor punctuation and Standard version:

ImageImage

Shrieking Drake RPG Promo: Different font size and style and text and flavor text is positioned in a different way and Standard version.

ImageImage

Steam of Life RPG Promo: Comma in flavor text, ink of copyright line is blue and Standard version.

ImageImage
Last edited by dragsamou on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 pm

I wonder if any of the Japanese Mirage variations are involved with the Japanese Nalathni Dragon redemption program. Originally a card was missing from the Japanese Mirage set, being replaced by another card that was already in the set. You could send two copies of the card and receive back once copy + the missing card (a land) + a Japanese Nalathni Dragon.

It makes me wonder if the set was corrected part way through the print run or not.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:15 am

cataclysm80 wrote:I wonder if any of the Japanese Mirage variations are involved with the Japanese Nalathni Dragon redemption program. Originally a card was missing from the Japanese Mirage set, being replaced by another card that was already in the set. You could send two copies of the card and receive back once copy + the missing card (a land) + a Japanese Nalathni Dragon.

It makes me wonder if the set was corrected part way through the print run or not.

Tav
Hi Tav

Redemption Program has been used 6 times:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/52-rari ... index.html

For Japanese Mirage:
Caused by a printing error in October 1996, the Japanese Mirage set was missing the card Flood Plain. In its place an extra Crystal Vein was printed. Wizards of the Coast offered a replacement: For two sent-in Japanese Crystal Veins, the customer received one Japanese Crystal Vein and a Japanese Flood Plain. Additionally a Japanese Nalathni Dragon was added as a bonus card.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.