Picture requirements

Pics about Magiclibrarities Members.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Picture requirements

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:43 pm

Could someone give us a link to where the picture requirements for this board are listed? My pictures must be the wrong size or some such because my link works for some photos but not all.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Are you trying to set an avatar for your account or just post an image in one of your posts? The requirements are different for each. Only our admin would know the specifics, but I might be able to help if you give me an example of one that doesn't work.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm

l0qii wrote:Are you trying to set an avatar for your account or just post an image in one of your posts? The requirements are different for each. Only our admin would know the specifics, but I might be able to help if you give me an example of one that doesn't work.
Boy, wish I knew how to explain what little I know. The picture as It came out of my camera was high res so I put it in photoshop and saved it "for the web" which reduced it's quality and size from 1.5 MB down to about 200KB. I shot some other pictures in medium and low rez and took the original and croped it. None of these pictures would show up. I wondered if it might be my code so I just copy pasted an image code from a previous post--it showed up fine. It must be the size or quality that is messing things up but I can't seem to get the right combo.
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Well when you put an image into a post it doesn't actually upload anything, it just links to it, so it has to exist someplace other than your personal computer first.

If you need a public place to upload the pics try ImageShack or TinyPic. These are free services that just let you upload files and link to them.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:42 pm

l0qii wrote:Well when you put an image into a post it doesn't actually upload anything, it just links to it, so it has to exist someplace other than your personal computer first.
Right, that is why the image of my display at:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... ht=display

works, I have it on the web site that my ISP provides and, as you can see, the link to it works fine. That is why I think it must be picture specifications that are preventing this one from being displayed. It is at the same URL as the one that is working now (with a different picture name of course). As mentioned above, I have tried different ways to get an image with the same specifications (ppi, size, etc.) as the one that worked but nothing seems to work. Probably just some little knat that I am overlooking.

There must have been some instructions someplace on the board for me to get it right the first time. I sure can't find any now though.
Gary Adkison

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:03 pm

There's nothing that should prevent you from being able to link to an image. The rules stated in the FAQ are the only ones I know of that we put up about images, and I basically paraphrased those above.

Any image file that is viewable in a web browser should be postable on this board, assuming it is not behind some authentication mechanism. I don't know of any size limit and I've tested with an image over 1Mb, so your 200Kb file is not a problem.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:44 am

l0qii wrote:...I've tested with an image over 1Mb, so your 200Kb file is not a problem.
Thanks much for your trouble. I'll just keep messing with it so wish me luck.
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks to everyone for helping me. Picture specifications did not turn out to be a problem (after I reduced pixels from 3072Kx2304K to 600x500) but rather security requirements on my web site that I had not met. Once those were taken care of the link and picture worked fine.
Gary Adkison