Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Cards from the Gary Adkison Collection

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Update Notes:

Players Rewards added Mar 2012
Guru Cards added Mar 2012
Happy Holiday Cards added Mar 2012
Judge Gift cards updated Mar 2012

Well it is actually happening. After having the URL for over a year there finally is something there to see--not much mind you but a start.

www.mystical-tutor.com/wp/

The /wp is for work in progress which is surely is--a lot of work.

Please take a look and give me some feedback on layout and stuff. I am also interested in what you think should be presented. Except for "first printings" I only collect in English and I only collect playing and promo cards.

Content plans at this point are:

Promo collection, which, of course, will be an ongoing project until I die or Magic does. It will be sections organized in a functional/historical format that looks at why and when a card was published. All size cards will be considered equally.

Basic Edition Cards, 1st through 7th editions. This is a take off of my 10th anniversery of Magic Display. The focus is the artwork and design changes in the game.

Glenn Angus: A presentation of his work for Magic the Gathering.

Artist Proofs of the First Edition.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Gary
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Cool!

But there seems to be a problem with the cards aspect ratio?!

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Are you able to take a picture of the rubber cement mark on the back of the Duelist Nalathni Dragon? I have not seen that before.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 pm

berkumps wrote:Are you able to take a picture of the rubber cement mark on the back of the Duelist Nalathni Dragon? I have not seen that before.
Let me look around. If I have an extra I'll send it to you. The mark is one of those "get it just right in the light" things. I used to have about a dozen of them so I'll check.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 pm

pp wrote:Cool!

But there seems to be a problem with the cards aspect ratio?!
Yes there is. I can't figure it out but because the magazine flip thing is a plug-in I may be able to get the designer to help a bit.

At present I will not worry about it because the objective is to get the basic site up and perfect it from there. Because I am still new (in abilities) at Photoshop I have a LOT to learn. Spent two hours with the hoast yesterday and he showed me a bunch of stuff--now if I can just remember some of it.... LOL.

Added the last of the Judge foils that have been released to date a few min ago.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:49 am

I assume you mean the rubber cement mark from those that actually came in the magazine, or are we talking about something else?
He's just this guy, ya know?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Gryfalia wrote:I assume you mean the rubber cement mark from those that actually came in the magazine, or are we talking about something else?
I assumed that is what he ment but you both raise the question for me of which were the more common. My SWAG is that the magazine copies were.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Every Nalathni I have ever owned has had the rubber cement mark from the magazine.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Every Nalathni I have ever owned has had the rubber cement mark from the magazine.
I looked long and hard to find a non-glued one and was estatic when I finally got it (and the dealer couldn't figure out why).

Couple days ago an old friend (one of Peter's HS buddies) had a bunch of his cards out and I just flipped the dragon for the heck of it--no glue.

"Hay, did you ever go to Dragon Con?" "Ya, I think I did one year....."

Not a clue to what he had.

Gary
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Because someone asked and because I haven't had the patience wiht Photoshop to finish my my "Philosophy and Terminology" blurb for the site I will make a short comment here for clarification and guidance.

No I do not abide by the layout of promotional cards as presented on this board. Several things just do not fit for me so my own collection is organized a bit different.

I use a historical/topical approach to my presentation. This is best displayed by my presentation on Player's Reward cards.

ALL Players Reward cards are in the same section and arranged chronologically. That includes Tokens and large cards.

This was a single program with a single objective and all cards given out by WotC are in a single presentation.

I credit WotC with the business savy needed to keep a game going for so long as it has. Part of that savy is having a reason for what you do when it comes to promoting your product. I will do my best to undrstand their reasoning and use it in designing the presentation of my collection.

I hope you like it and that it "fits" as you use it. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.

Gary

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Alexis is having trouble accessing this site.

Are there any other members that have problems? Please let me know so I can ask the webmaster and see if that can be changed.

Gary

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:20 pm

I am able to view the display under Partner Appreciation, the one under Marketing & Brand Awareness and the couple pages that are there for the Basic Edition Display. If Flash isn't working, however, you won't be able to see much of anything.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:26 pm

psrex wrote:I am able to view the display under Partner Appreciation, the one under Marketing & Brand Awareness and the couple pages that are there for the Basic Edition Display. If Flash isn't working, however, you won't be able to see much of anything.
sorry for the lack of computer knowledge but is the "flash" your talking about the Adobe program?

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:32 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
psrex wrote:I am able to view the display under Partner Appreciation, the one under Marketing & Brand Awareness and the couple pages that are there for the Basic Edition Display. If Flash isn't working, however, you won't be able to see much of anything.
sorry for the lack of computer knowledge but is the "flash" your talking about the Adobe program?
Yes.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:00 am

Well, this my not be "mainstream" signiture collecting but I got a bang out of it anyway.

Steve Argyle had an accident not long before GenCon 2012 in which he injured his hand and it had to be in a cast---his RIGHT hand. Knowing he would not be able to sign cards his wife came up with the idea of a special stamp that would be a momento of the situation. Thus the "Broken Hand Edition Gen Con 2012" came into being. It will only happen once and these cards will be unique in the collecting community. I missed getting two but I will never be able to find them on "you know where" I bet. I think the set is complete except for those two (as of the time of GenCon).

Gary Adkison