GlobalBoosterHunter's Global Boosters

Web Galleries of Individual Members Collections

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, mystical_tutor

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 am

A few of the 'also rans' in the trading card race!

I thought I had a few more of the Star Wars Boosters but I guess not.

Somewhere I have another batch of card games that didn't quite make it, whenever a new game came out I gave it a try, Tomb Raider, Xena, Blood Wars, Aliens vs Predators, X-Files etc. but the rest of my group just bought Magic, they assumed (correctly) that the late comers would be rubbish and decided to concentrate on MtG.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm

I got some of my UK collection over as well but I had to box them up straight after this photo because apparently 'we aren't going to start that nonsense again'. Apparently moving to Australia means we don't leave stuff out for weeks.

I will update my spreadsheets when I have finished tidying my room :(

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 pm

OH! That is how it is to be done!!!

Tidy up room ----then update spreadsheet. I just continue to work on the spreadsheet and never seem to catch up, thus, the room is, well, dangerous.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:A few of the 'also rans' in the trading card race!

I thought I had a few more of the Star Wars Boosters but I guess not.

Somewhere I have another batch of card games that didn't quite make it, whenever a new game came out I gave it a try, Tomb Raider, Xena, Blood Wars, Aliens vs Predators, X-Files etc. but the rest of my group just bought Magic, they assumed (correctly) that the late comers would be rubbish and decided to concentrate on MtG.
WOW!! Now I know how to get rid of a pile of stuff I have and not feel guilty about throwing it away...

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 pm

While I agree with most of those, I strongly disagree with calling Jyhad (Vampire) an "also ran". To this day I still feel it has a better multiplayer aspect than MtG. In fact, for years we got together to play Jyhad as a group; as people were eliminated they picked up MtG games on the side until a new game started. Despite virtually no support for years the game carried on - bloodsuckers are loyal to the end!!!

Sorry - this isn't an attack of any kind. I just love VtES and feel that the game is one of the classics. I wish more people had the ability to try it out in a dynamic, multiplayer atmosphere :wink:

Of course, it's also a WoTC game... just saying.

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:53 pm

thulnanth wrote:
While I agree with most of those, I strongly disagree with calling Jyhad (Vampire) an "also ran". To this day I still feel it has a better multiplayer aspect than MtG. In fact, for years we got together to play Jyhad as a group; as people were eliminated they picked up MtG games on the side until a new game started. Despite virtually no support for years the game carried on - bloodsuckers are loyal to the end!!!

Sorry - this isn't an attack of any kind. I just love VtES and feel that the game is one of the classics. I wish more people had the ability to try it out in a dynamic, multiplayer atmosphere :wink:

Of course, it's also a WoTC game... just saying.

Take it easy,
Jared
I never played Jyhad (I do have two unopned boxes and a complete set of it though) but I observed what you are saying. I remember finding a group of Koreans playing it in one of the Magic shops in Seoul some time after it went out of print and hearing people talk about it with a sad note that there were no new cards for it. At least it got some follow up whereas one of my favrets, Netrunner, was left to die.
Gary Adkison

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Netrunner is up again, as a LGC.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:36 pm

And it's goooood...
He's just this guy, ya know?

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:23 am

We tried Jyhad a few times but at the time we could only afford to support one game, and nothing could compete with MtG!

Some of the art from VtES was amazing (gotta love goth chicks!) and the game play was a touch above the others but there can be only one winner.

I still have an unopened box of X-Files Starters and Boosters and that wasn't a bad game either. We opened a few boxes but I don't think we ever had Mulder or Scully and who wants to play without them?

Ultimate combat was a terrible game, I bought a discount box and handed out the boosters and we still couldn't play more than a couple of games, it was a direct clone of MtG, but done badly.

Netrunner was a great game, not sure we played it 100% correctly though and no one was really sure what cards were good but we got the general idea! I still see boxes come up occasionally and I am tempted to take it up again, maybe when I own all the MtG boosters I will have some cash to buy something different.

Rage was not much good and Wyvern...enough said :)

Edit: apparently Legend of the 5 rings was good too but I never played it, anyone give it a try?

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:19 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:...Rage was not much good and Wyvern...enough said :)
Sorry, had to!

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 am

Yikes

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:28 am

Waaaay too much Wyvern?!

You must have the entire production run for Canada there, did anyone else get a chance to buy any? No wonder the game tanked!

I bet there is a story behind that purchase..!

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 am

He expected to get Wyvern Backed Magic cards :-D

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:apparently Legend of the 5 rings was good too but I never played it, anyone give it a try?
I played it in high school, mainly due to it being almost as popular as MTG at my local card store. Nothing beats a sneak attack for an honor victory! I never could quite get good at it, but it sure was fun to play. I still have some OLD cards (the original Imperial Edition - the Alpha of L5R) and don't think I'll ever give up the original Avoid Fate.

Clay

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 pm

I learned L5R in Korea from some Air Force guys and liked it quite a bit. When I got back to the US I found a shop where it was played and tried to get in the group but they were so clanish it was hard to get included. Then when I pulled out a Kolatt Assassan (sp?) from my Lion deck I got slam dunked "because Lion is honorable and you can't play that". OK, you play your game and I'll play Magic. Never played again.

Gary
Gary Adkison