TheJGits' Misprints & Other Stuff

Web Galleries of Individual Members Collections

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, mystical_tutor

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

TheJGits' Misprints & Other Stuff

Post by TheJGit » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:59 pm

Hello everyone! New memeber, long time lurker. I've been collecting misprints for a few years, and wanted to share my collection here. You can find them on my blog http://thejgitsmisprints.tumblr.com/ but I'll post some images of my favorties here:

Update: Global Set complete! Some of the images on this original post broke, so I removed them and I'll toss some more up later :)
Last edited by TheJGit on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:12 pm

That fallen empires misprint is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:06 pm

berkumps wrote:That fallen empires misprint is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
At first i was " What ?" and then i was "WoW !"

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:14 pm

mmgun wrote:
berkumps wrote:That fallen empires misprint is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
At first i was " What ?" and then i was "WoW !"
That was probably my best find from ebay. I don't think anybody realized what it was, so I had no competitive bidders. After lots of staring, I'm pretty sure the 2nd card is Vodalian Soldiers. :-D

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Here is another card from the sheet with your t-chinese miscut doubleprinted Raka Disciple from Apocalypse:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-MAGIC-DOUBL ... RL:DE:1123

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Ya I've got that one on my watch list mmgun. A few of these from this sheet have been on ebay for a while now. I'm a John Avon fan so I might pick this one up. :-D

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:32 am

Not a terribly difficult set to complete, but hey, gotta start somewhere! I'd like to try and track down an artist proof eventually and one day own the original art.
The altered one was painted by my wife this weekend at GPNJ while I was playing :-D

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:40 am

There are artist proofs for English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish Ice Age. Should be a fun quest!

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:27 pm

berkumps wrote:There are artist proofs for English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish Ice Age. Should be a fun quest!
For some reason I only thought the ap's were in english, spanish, and portuguese despite how clearly it says otherwise here: http://www.firstturninc.com/proofs-FAQ.html. Will still be a fun quest indeed.

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:13 am

Just a small collection update! Slowly checking things off my misprints and rarities want list (which I should really get around to making). Also, getting painfully close to completing my global set of slaughter cry (huge thanks to Ron for making it possible). Currently I have 37 of the 40 versions and and one of the English APs. I've got all the non-foils :-D .

Anyways here's some of the neat misprints I've added to the collection recently:
ImageImage
ImageImage

I also picked up a pretty neat vertical crimp (not pictured) It's two cards that have been crimped together. Don't really want to photograph it because of the risk of accidentally separating them.

Cheers!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks for posting these.

We need this kind of stuff in one place where it can be found. Searching is very difficult for me as I don't remember exact titles or terms.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:58 am

mystical_tutor wrote: We need this kind of stuff in one place where it can be found. Searching is very difficult for me as I don't remember exact titles or terms.
I'm still liking your idea of organizing everything as a historical timeline.

Tav

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:35 am

cataclysm80 wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote: We need this kind of stuff in one place where it can be found. Searching is very difficult for me as I don't remember exact titles or terms.
I'm still liking your idea of organizing everything as a historical timeline.

Tav
There is such a wealth of knowledge in this site and so much of it can't be found--at least by me. Some is generic and doesn't fit historically like the post by one of the members that detailed some of the printing process or the one that gave insight on scanners and why they have problems with foils.
Of course misprints/cuts/crimps/etc. are largely topic related but can be cross referenced historically.
Almost all else would benefit from historical timelines and would show us where ideas were born and, in come cases, where they died.

Massive project if ever undertaken though.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

TheJGit

The State of Misprints in MTG

Post by TheJGit » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:43 pm

For the past 6-8 months, I've had this nagging inclination that I can't seem to get out of my head, "Your collection is a waste of resources($$$). The misprint community is getting supersaturated with junk. Get out now. Sell..." Every time I get that feeling, I give it some time. Maybe it's just a temporary feeling. The last thing I'd want is to sell off cards I love and regret it later. But, the feeling keeps coming back.

I still love misprints. The problem is the majority of them just aren't exciting anymore. Magic is the largest it's ever been. They're printing tons of product, and doing a relatively terrible job at it. So the supply of misprints is much higher than it used to be. The community of misprint collectors hasn't grown too much despite MTG's surge. What has grown are people's awareness of the community, which has led to a flood of non-caring idiots asking how much slightly smudged card X is worth. With that said, there are the occasional worthwhile misprints that pop up.

I think my misprint collection is pretty nice, probably worth a few thousand, if I were to tally it all up. That's nothing earth shattering (especially next to some of the collections you guys have), but it is a nice chunk of change. As far as my spending habits are concerned, I'm not the most responsible person. Would liquidating my misprint collection help that? No, but it would reallocate some resources into places where I could be "more responsible."

Either way, I'm conflicted. To sell, or not to sell? I've only been collecting misprints for 5 or so years, so I'm curious if any of you veterans have any insights or advice you'd like to share.

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: The State of Misprints in MTG

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:09 pm

TheJGit wrote:For the past 6-8 months, I've had this nagging inclination that I can't seem to get out of my head, "Your collection is a waste of resources($$$). The misprint community is getting supersaturated with junk. Get out now. Sell..." Every time I get that feeling, I give it some time. Maybe it's just a temporary feeling. The last thing I'd want is to sell off cards I love and regret it later. But, the feeling keeps coming back.

I still love misprints. The problem is the majority of them just aren't exciting anymore. Magic is the largest it's ever been. They're printing tons of product, and doing a relatively terrible job at it. So the supply of misprints is much higher than it used to be. The community of misprint collectors hasn't grown too much despite MTG's surge. What has grown are people's awareness of the community, which has led to a flood of non-caring idiots asking how much slightly smudged card X is worth. With that said, there are the occasional worthwhile misprints that pop up.

I think my misprint collection is pretty nice, probably worth a few thousand, if I were to tally it all up. That's nothing earth shattering (especially next to some of the collections you guys have), but it is a nice chunk of change. As far as my spending habits are concerned, I'm not the most responsible person. Would liquidating my misprint collection help that? No, but it would reallocate some resources into places where I could be "more responsible."

Either way, I'm conflicted. To sell, or not to sell? I've only been collecting misprints for 5 or so years, so I'm curious if any of you veterans have any insights or advice you'd like to share.
Hi Jason

I belong to a very specific category in MTG, I'm an Only collector since the beginning, I never play, never speculate or invest, just trying to finish goals in my collection. I'm really not a big Misprints collector, I only have 2 binders, one for regular misprint (like on Squt website) and one for the others (Crimped, Blurry, Square Cut corner, etc...). Since I start, I try to focus on getting at least one of each, I never care if the card was a spoiler, a value card or else, any will make me happy. It is your decision, to still enjoy your collection and having joy adding things, or to decide to sell it in order to get "more responsible, or focus on another part of MTG, but you need to make sure about it, cause, if you sell it, and then in few years you want to come back to it, it might be a nightmare to start again, getting back a 5 years misprints collection won't be an easy task, and you will probably have to pay much more for the cards that you eventually sold. Point is that MTG is not longer ruled by Player/Collector but by Investor/Speculator, so a lot of fun has been gone from the old good years, and indeed the awareness of the community has lead on a constant basis to that sentence: How much , it's worth even for the crappiest misprint in existence. As the madness of products printed, one of the best thing that I did as a collector was quitting at the year 2010, so anything after that, I don't even bother looking at it. To finish, back in the years, so many Misprints were just considerated as garbage, and we were very few to collect them, there was not all the FB groups, Internet was not controlling the world, etc...now, the quality service of WOTC, has almost nothing to do, and for them, they do a terrific job, cause the percentage of people sending back cards is at the lowest as anyone getting any misprint believe it's a goose that lays golden eggs. IMHO
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.