Jester's Cap Global Set

Web Galleries of Individual Members Collections

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, mystical_tutor, hammr7

User avatar
JesterSB
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by JesterSB » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been playing magic since Ice Age came out, and Jester's Cap has always been my favorite art in the game (probably Inquest's fault). With that in mind, I went about collecting every version of the card I could. I am down to 4 needed, 1 of which is Spanish Ice Age which will be easy to get. The other three are 9th edition Foil German and Foil Simplified Chinese as well as the Portuguese Ice Age Proof. Dan Frazier just found all his proofs, but for some reason the Portuguese ones were not in there (his agent went through them all and confirmed). I am hoping someone on here happened to pick one up back in the day. In the pics below the 9th proof and box topper proof are not shown, but are on their way to me. Thanks for checking my modest collection out!

Image

Image


P.S. If anyone has any information about the whereabouts of the original art for Cap, I would be eternally grateful. I have talked to everyone I can think of connected with the game back then and no one knows much. Dan swears he sold it to Wizards as a prize for a tourney, but no one else seems to remember that (Maro, Skaff, Peter etc.).
Art collector, Jester's Cap collector, Magician

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by dragsamou » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi

Congrats for your Collection. I've just noticed that there an extra card that you might want as it's from a Magic Related Game:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/620-rar ... index.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/621-rar ... other.html
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
JesterSB
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by JesterSB » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:59 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi

Congrats for your Collection. I've just noticed that there an extra card that you might want as it's from a Magic Related Game:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/620-rar ... index.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/621-rar ... other.html
Thanks. I know about this and the 2 jokers from the non-Magic backed poker decks. I'll probably try to pick them up eventually, but they aren't high on my list, and they are hard to find on their own.
Art collector, Jester's Cap collector, Magician

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by dragsamou » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:16 pm

JesterSB wrote:
dragsamou wrote:Hi

Congrats for your Collection. I've just noticed that there an extra card that you might want as it's from a Magic Related Game:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/620-rar ... index.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/621-rar ... other.html
Thanks. I know about this and the 2 jokers from the non-Magic backed poker decks. I'll probably try to pick them up eventually, but they aren't high on my list, and they are hard to find on their own.
Hi

You're welcome. I don't know where you are based, but for the Instinct and Wizards of the Coast Poker Decks, they are easy to get in the US and quite cheap. But, as you mentioned low priority.

Back in years, some Artists didn't received some AP or some from Specific languages. So, I believe first task is to prove existence for Dan Frazier's Ice Age Portuguese A.P or Ice Age Portuguese Jester's Cap A.P.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:09 am

Nice collection.

Proofs are made from regular sheets that just weren't printed on the back.
To prove that Portuguese Jester's Cap proofs were made, just find any Portuguese Ice Age proof from the Rare sheet.

I have Portuguese Ice Age proofs from the Common sheet, so those exist at least.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by dragsamou » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:07 am

cataclysm80 wrote:Nice collection.

Proofs are made from regular sheets that just weren't printed on the back.
To prove that Portuguese Jester's Cap proofs were made, just find any Portuguese Ice Age proof from the Rare sheet.

I have Portuguese Ice Age proofs from the Common sheet, so those exist at least.
Hi Tav

To avoid confusion:
Ice Age Portuguese A.P. do exist for Common, Uncommon and Rare.
Did Dan Frazier received a full set of 16 Ice Age A.P. in Portuguese, I don't know, I don't collect Ice Age A.P. or Portuguese
If he received Ice Age A.P. in Portuguese, out of the 16 cards, was some not sent to him therefore missing (This has happened to other Artists). I guess only Dan Frazier knows about that.
Also when it comes to European Foreign languages (and Asian also), making the difference between Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, German is not an easy task for a lot of people. In the case of Jester's cap Portuguese and in your hunt to find it you need to mention: Gorro do Bufão
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:54 am

So we have confirmed that Potuguese Jester's Cap proofs were made.
Now it's a question of what happened to them. We don't know if Dan got them, or if someone else got them. (or maybe a little of both)
Maybe they have been thrown away since then, as this happened with some other artists.

I do know that both Dan and his agent Mark have trouble telling the different languages apart.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by dragsamou » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:05 am

cataclysm80 wrote: I do know that both Dan and his agent Mark have trouble telling the different languages apart.
Yes, That's why I wrote my previous sentence. Better ask for a HQ scan.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:37 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by TheJGit » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Awesome collection! Thanks for sharing. Good luck on the missing pieces...I collected a global set of slaughter cry and even though it is a "recent" card it was surprisingly difficult to find.

User avatar
Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:15 pm
Location: Hamburg (Germany)

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by Knutsen » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:34 pm

Beside the cards (great collection!) - do you have this one: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Signed-Dan-F ... SwqfNXpTYE ? :)

Image

User avatar
JesterSB
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by JesterSB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Just a guess, but I was probably one of the first to own one, since I am friends with Dan's agent, and as soon as the post went up that they were selling them, I had one ordered ;)
Knutsen wrote:Beside the cards (great collection!) - do you have this one: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Signed-Dan-F ... SwqfNXpTYE ? :)
Art collector, Jester's Cap collector, Magician

User avatar
Shough
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:46 am

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by Shough » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi JesterSB... I also have a collection similar to yours. I started collecting all the jester/joker related magic cards too around the time of Ice Age. In fact the first pack of Magic cards I purchased was Ice Age and my rare was a Jester’s Cap, I have been hooked on the game ever since. I have all of the Ice age versions except Portuguese. All the 5th edition versions except: Italian, French, and Traditional Chinese. My 9th edition collection needs lots of help…
I have Ice Age Jester’s Cap artist proofs in: English, Spanish, Italian, and French (All the ones Mark & Dan found before the GP) and 5th in English. In addition I have collected several miscut, crimp, and other misprints of Jester’s Cap. I also collect any Magic Cards with the word Jester in the name or that have Jester/Joker related art. Here is a list of the cards I have found and collected:

Festival (The Dark)
Jester’s Cap (Ice Age) (5th Edition) (9th Edition) (From the Vault: Relics) (World Champ 1996: Justice/Locanto)
Jester’s Mask (Ice Age)
Chaos Harlequin (Alliances)
Jack-in-the-Mox (Unglued)
Jester's Sombrero (Unglued)
Jester's Scepter (Coldsnap)
Booster Tutor (Unhinged) (Arena Promo)
Sandals of Abdallah (Arabian Nights)
Fool's Tome (Tempest)
Gaze of Pain (Ice Age)
Demon's Jester (Dissension) (Duel Decks Anthology) (Divine vs. Demonic)
Spike Jester (Dragon's Maze)
Goblin Battle Jester (Magic 2013)
Master the Way (Khans of Tarkir)
Showstopper (Dragon's Maze)

If anyone knows of any other Magic: The Gathering cards that feature a jester/joker in the art please let me know. Some are questionable as related cards but if they caught my eye I added them to the list. Thank you for sharing your collection! Your Proof with the drawing is awesome!

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by dragsamou » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:06 am

Shough wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 pm
Hi JesterSB... I also have a collection similar to yours. I started collecting all the jester/joker related magic cards too around the time of Ice Age. In fact the first pack of Magic cards I purchased was Ice Age and my rare was a Jester’s Cap, I have been hooked on the game ever since. I have all of the Ice age versions except Portuguese. All the 5th edition versions except: Italian, French, and Traditional Chinese. My 9th edition collection needs lots of help…
I have Ice Age Jester’s Cap artist proofs in: English, Spanish, Italian, and French (All the ones Mark & Dan found before the GP) and 5th in English. In addition I have collected several miscut, crimp, and other misprints of Jester’s Cap. I also collect any Magic Cards with the word Jester in the name or that have Jester/Joker related art. Here is a list of the cards I have found and collected:

Festival (The Dark)
Jester’s Cap (Ice Age) (5th Edition) (9th Edition) (From the Vault: Relics) (World Champ 1996: Justice/Locanto)
Jester’s Mask (Ice Age)
Chaos Harlequin (Alliances)
Jack-in-the-Mox (Unglued)
Jester's Sombrero (Unglued)
Jester's Scepter (Coldsnap)
Booster Tutor (Unhinged) (Arena Promo)
Sandals of Abdallah (Arabian Nights)
Fool's Tome (Tempest)
Gaze of Pain (Ice Age)
Demon's Jester (Dissension) (Duel Decks Anthology) (Divine vs. Demonic)
Spike Jester (Dragon's Maze)
Goblin Battle Jester (Magic 2013)
Master the Way (Khans of Tarkir)
Showstopper (Dragon's Maze)

If anyone knows of any other Magic: The Gathering cards that feature a jester/joker in the art please let me know. Some are questionable as related cards but if they caught my eye I added them to the list. Thank you for sharing your collection! Your Proof with the drawing is awesome!
Hi

Oversized Jester's Cap:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/465-rar ... azine.html

Jester's Cap Box Topper Artist Proof Ninth Edition
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/295-rar ... index.html

Jester's Cap Box Topper Ninth Edition
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/295-rar ... ml#seecard

Instinct Trump Card:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/621-rar ... other.html

Wizards of the Coast Poker Decks Cards:
Joker Version 1
Joker Version 2
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/631-rar ... s-red.html

Memorabilia:
MTG Ice Age Booster (Jester's Cap)
MTG Unglued Booster (Jester's Sombrero)
MTG Ice Age Poster (WotC)
Jester's Cap Deck Box
Storage Box Magic the Gathering with different illustrations: Mox Sapphire, Mox Diamond, Grinning Totem, Black Lotus, Jester's Cap, etc...
Ice Age/Alliances binder (Jester's Mask)
Magic: The Gathering Binder 1997 (Jester's Cap)
Deck Bynder by Rembrandt 1995 (Jester on the side)
Playmat and Print Magic Undead Jester by Dan Frazier
Print of Jester's Cap Ninth Edition (WotC)
Jester's Cap Statue (WotC Office):
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2008-11-24
MTG Phone cards advertisements (Phone card was not produced):
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/1068-ra ... index.html
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
Shough
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:46 am

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by Shough » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 pm

I have the Oversized Jester's Cap, Jester's Cap 9th Box Topper Signed AP, and the Instinct Trump Card. I would love to have the joker's out of the poker deck to add to my collection. I have one each of the booster packs, the deck box, “artifact” storage box, M: TG Binder, and signed Playmat. I don’t know much about the Rembrandt 95 binder or the MTG Ice Age Poster, but if they have a Jester’s Cap on them I would try to get one.
I also have this tournament bag with the embroidered cap on it that picked up at my local game store around 1996 and a matching backpack I purchased from another collector. Here is a pic… Thanks for your post!
Attachments
11140120_10106076328725373_3114043491236973874_n.jpg
11140120_10106076328725373_3114043491236973874_n.jpg (138.72 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
1016343_10202212001674651_1149803180_n.jpg
1016343_10202212001674651_1149803180_n.jpg (93.96 KiB) Viewed 5408 times

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5615
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Jester's Cap Global Set

Post by dragsamou » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:07 am

Shough wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 pm
I have the Oversized Jester's Cap, Jester's Cap 9th Box Topper Signed AP, and the Instinct Trump Card. I would love to have the joker's out of the poker deck to add to my collection. I have one each of the booster packs, the deck box, “artifact” storage box, M: TG Binder, and signed Playmat. I don’t know much about the Rembrandt 95 binder or the MTG Ice Age Poster, but if they have a Jester’s Cap on them I would try to get one.
I also have this tournament bag with the embroidered cap on it that picked up at my local game store around 1996 and a matching backpack I purchased from another collector. Here is a pic… Thanks for your post!
Hi

My pleasure. I knew I forget another one: Grand Prix Rio (1998) T-Shirt with Jester's Cap on the back
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2011-07-11

Image

Ice Age Poster:
Image

The 2 Ultra Pro Rembrandt Deck Bynd'r 3 Ring Binder 1995: Dragon face and Skulls face have a Jester on the side but those are not Jester's Cap or related to MTG illustrations.

Also 2 different Jester that are official Wotc Product:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/846-rar ... index.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/846-rar ... mages.html

PS: I don't own the T-shirt or poster, just pics that I've grabbed from the internet so you know what I talk about.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests