What misprints have you pulled from packs?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

What misprints have you pulled from packs?

Post by fvzappa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:51 pm

Hi all,

I just opened a case of Fifth Dawn that I bought at a great price. And what made this an even better deal was that I got several rares with glaring ink smears in the top left of the card... good enough on a few to make it into my busting-at-the-seams binder!

It just got me thinking. Most of us here track down & collect misprints, and even if you don't you stand just as good of a chance as anyone to get a misprint in a pack, right? So what stories do you have to tell??

My stories, in brief- I got plenty of the dark Visions & Mirage cards, as well as the ink smeared Chronicles commons, all of which are now sought-after by (mostly) people who were not buying packs back then! I also incidentally bought a lot of Alt. 4th (this stuff was manufactured in my hometown). I also bought a box of Dark a few years after it was released, when it was still somewhat affordable... and I got about 20-25 crimped cards in it! I was annoyed!

I also was helping my nephew in a draft when we discovered a 3 card connecting green smear... I replaced the 3 cards w/ my own copies & everyone was happy. It remains one of my most admired misprints.

Not misprint per se, but I was also lucky enough to buy an Onslaught starter (simply because I wanted 1 of each basic land for my set) & get 9 rares. I bought several more, & got 6-9 rares each. The store owner pulled the remainder of his product for drafting. And he had GREAT attendance for that draft!

Anyhow, what stories do you have on getting misprints in unopened product?

AzureWinter
Legendary Flying Green Mana Bird

Post by AzureWinter » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:34 am

I've had good moments opening crimps in my life

during onslaught, my first draft ever, I opened a crimped bane of living
during mirrodin, crimped foil shrapnal blast
during ravnica, crimped GB guildmage
during time spiral, crimped magus of scroll

if i opened a crimped card during kamigawa block, it woulda been 5 blocks in a roll :D

for lorwyn, my local store i goto had a miscut tournament box where all the cards were slightly miscut (by only like, 2mm toward left top)
Last edited by AzureWinter on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:01 am

Various crimps.
Various "they were all misprinted" korean/japanese misprints.
Foil miscut Thallid Germinator where you can see the bottom of the sheet on the bottom.
Various miscut but not miscut enough to see another card staples from Time Spiral (Cancel, Rift Bolt, etc), which came from 2 packs in a TPF draft.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:12 am

I had a crimped Salvat card once, and like you Keith, opened some Portuguese WB packs with no rares inside, or with 2 or 3 rares (happened with several packs).

I opened a SOK (German) pack this week end with 2 foils in it. A rare and an uncommon.

Other than that, nothing, even though I opened quite a lot of boxes.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:43 am

My story is not as great.

I have ALWAYS been after misprinted cards since I was fascinated by them, but I NEVER pulled one out myself (with the exception of the standard Drudge Skeleton from a German WB revised pack).

Granted I usually pick up singles rather than sealed products, but I did open some Ice Age, Fallen Empires etc. etc. in my life and I always got perfectly centered, accurately colored and non-smeared cards !

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:14 am

Looks like the more you search for misprint, the less you are likely to find them (poor Mark :-) )

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Misprints

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Only German Ice Age misprints here... unfortunately.
I would have prefered to get some of these misprints as corrected versions too :wink:
Chris

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:32 pm

2x boosters engl. Homelands w/ all commons miscut
Several engl. revised boosters w/o rare (great misprint! invisible rare! extreme miscut from outside the sheet :D )

that's all i can remember

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:55 pm

I opened a fallen empires pack where all the commons were miscut vertically at about 40/60 showing 2 cards. I've also opened a handful of minor ink smears and crimps. Nothing really great.

Spectral_bears
Librarities Hero

Post by Spectral_bears » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:08 pm

I openned a box of Lorwyn and in about half the packs, three of the commons were badly miscut, where there was about 1/2MM of top border and the rest was one the bottom. I kept hoping that one would show another card but none did.

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Beside some ink smears and such printing problems i have only opened some exodus uncommons with to much red ink (or to little of something else) and a few foil MM with upside down and miscut back. In both cases i got some for my TN-collection! :D

Jeppe
Librarities Legend

Post by Jeppe » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Just some minor offcenter cards for me, although the offcenter-Jace was nice enough to keep in my misprint collection.
My cat collection and my Scathe Zombies collection
Do you have cards that I'm looking for? Let me know!

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:30 pm

agzz wrote:Beside some ink smears and such printing problems i have only opened some exodus uncommons with to much red ink (or to little of something else) and a few foil MM with upside down and miscut back. In both cases i got some for my TN-collection! :D
Were the Masques foils rares? Because I have several myself. Didn't open them, however...

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:53 pm

fvzappa wrote:
agzz wrote:Beside some ink smears and such printing problems i have only opened some exodus uncommons with to much red ink (or to little of something else) and a few foil MM with upside down and miscut back. In both cases i got some for my TN-collection! :D
Were the Masques foils rares? Because I have several myself. Didn't open them, however...
No rares, one common and 2 or 3 uncommons if i remember correct, was some time ago. only have the common now.

magicdude

Post by magicdude » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:29 am

30 square-cut P3K-commons...(28 different)
Those 12-card packs sometimes contained up to 14 commons (with the 'extra's' being square-cut): apparently the 'booster-filling-machine' has trouble with square cards...

At the time I opened these boosters (about 2001), they only cost an equivalent of US$3 each! :-D
At first I only bought 5, but after discovering that several contained square-cut commons I bought all the remaining boosters that that store had (about 12 or so...: pity they didn't have more...)