Quality of From the Vault: Dragons

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Quality of From the Vault: Dragons

Post by chaosdjinn » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:08 am

Hi guys- long time no speak with. I picked up FTV: Dragons today and have to say that the cards inside are really nice. However, the cards are reminiscent of the early foil cards from Urza's Legacy- All three packs contain cards which are significantly curled because of the foiling process. Anyone else have similar product?

magicdude

Re: Quality of From the Vault: Dragons

Post by magicdude » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 am

chaosdjinn wrote:Hi guys- long time no speak with. I picked up FTV: Dragons today and have to say that the cards inside are really nice. However, the cards are reminiscent of the early foil cards from Urza's Legacy- All three packs contain cards which are significantly curled because of the foiling process. Anyone else have similar product?
I have seen the contents of 2 boxes: all foils were indeed extremely curved, even more than ANY other foils I have EVER seen!
People WON'T be ably to play with them (in a sanctioned event) (but they probably never wanted to anyway), since it'll be very easy to cut to these (very) bent cards...

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 pm

I think all foils do that if given the space to do it and left out for several days. Couldn't these be flattened again by sticking then in a pile of cards for a while?

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

Post by jamesbond » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 pm

l0qii wrote:Couldn't these be flattened again by sticking then in a pile of cards for a while?
No :'-( , i already tried on other foils...

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:52 pm

The issue isn't as much that they are bent like other foils. The EDGES are far more bent. Right now I have the one box I opened in hard top loaders trying to straighten them up.

Time will tell (literally)...
He's just this guy, ya know?

AzureWinter
Legendary Flying Green Mana Bird

Post by AzureWinter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:08 pm

foils can be flatted just a bit quicker if you put it somewhere warm.
Foils bend cause the foil layer sheet shrinks if placed somewhere cold. When it shrinks, the total width is shorter, but it's glued onto the card, hence why it tries to bend the card.

But I only tried this with older foils, not sure about the newer ones.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:09 pm

Can we get a pic of this?

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Wow, everyone with sets except for me... =P~ 8-| Anyone want to guess how many orders I had canceled. :'-( Just unbelievable amounts of greed.

So I try two sources locally, they don't cancel my orders--they just call to jack up the price to $65...

then several online websites flat out canceled my order...

then my friend in another city gurantees 4...then 3...then down to 1. Then, he tells me it depends on how fast he can get to his shop on the morning of.

So all this talk of FTV today just makes me sad and angry.

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:45 pm

I have tried to scan all cards from Dragon Box. Look here for results:

http://slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopi ... 5&start=16

There's no need to have this box...

Spectral_bears
Librarities Hero

Post by Spectral_bears » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:15 pm

AzureWinter wrote:foils can be flatted just a bit quicker if you put it somewhere warm.
Foils bend cause the foil layer sheet shrinks if placed somewhere cold. When it shrinks, the total width is shorter, but it's glued onto the card, hence why it tries to bend the card.

But I only tried this with older foils, not sure about the newer ones.
I was under the impression that foils actually curl because humidity in the air cause the cardboard to expand and while it does this the plastic of the front layer does not expand, causeing the card to curl. I always store my foils with silica packets in the box and they don't curl too bad.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:20 pm

l0qii wrote:I think all foils do that if given the space to do it and left out for several days. Couldn't these be flattened again by sticking then in a pile of cards for a while?
The cards, out of the box, were curled as described above by others. Well...still a nice set. I'll try to use my heat gun to flatten them out (j/k) :-D

implode

Post by implode » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:41 pm

UPDATE: lesser known shop got more product then 2 bigger shops, and was charging MSRP. I picked up the 2 they had, so now if person in other city picks up 1 I will have 3 total. Have no idea why a small shop would get 6, but the bigger shops got 2 apiece. Still not complaining, glad I tried to do a little research.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:56 pm

implode wrote: but the bigger shops got 2 apiece.

...or did they??

implode

Post by implode » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:22 pm

l0qii wrote:
implode wrote: but the bigger shops got 2 apiece.

...or did they??
Well if I see them as singles in the owners binders I will know...both sell a lot of singles.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:32 pm

Seeing the comments of Mr Foil Card, (I have yet to get my boxes), it seems that I was right.

This boxset is a fiasco, both in terms of quantity produced, distribution and quality of cards. But I had been told about this latter fast 3 weeks ago.

I'm glad I did not have to spend $99 on these (times 2 since I buy 2 boxes).

But in the end, I would have spent €60 ($90) which is DEFINITELY OUTRAGEOUS...