Is anybody good at building websites?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

bigbob585
Librarities Member

Is anybody good at building websites?

Post by bigbob585 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:29 am

I'm looking to start an online store to help pay my way through college and I need somebody who can build me a website. I'm looking around for quotes and can either pay cash or give a better deal in product.

I originally was going to purchase an existing store but he decided not to sell at the last minute so I'm resorting to this.

I'm posting here to hopefully keep the flow of money within the magic community.

If you can build websites please send me a PM with your name, email, IM screen name, and what you can do.

Thanks

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:51 am

I think your best bet is to use something like google or ebay stores...they have built in marketing. By the time you buy your own domain, own vender software copy, own credit card processing--you probably would be better off with a prebuilt store. Sure you can skimp and have a big list of cards, but then your going to be paying someone to constantly update your website in all liklihood.

bigbob585
Librarities Member

Post by bigbob585 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:11 am

ebay is by far the worst possible choice for a store as it takes a lot longer to list items and it's even more of a pain to relist. I only get limited exposure. I need an actual retail site as well.

The domain is the easy part and my friend has a dedicated server he can hold the built site on for as long as needed.

Marketing is easy as that's my specialty so I'm not too worried

I already have an ISO lined up to process my credit cards and the rates are even better than any magic store has and even better than Costco gets.

I am wondering what you mean by vendor software copy as I'm not familiar with this.

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:30 am

I think that there are quite good ready to use alternatives out there. Have you had a look?

bigbob585
Librarities Member

Post by bigbob585 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:38 am

I know nothing about website building. My specialties lie in sports, marketing, and psychology. I know a lot about hardware and can build my own server but I know nothing about the application and programming side of things

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:08 pm

i 'll lunch my own website starting '09 for magic maket.... but i 'm not from the building team...

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:18 pm

You can use CMS like Joomla!, they are free and easy to use.

bigbob585
Librarities Member

Post by bigbob585 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:31 am

I have found 3 inventory systems built for magic.

one is free but has very little exposure and integration with other sites
one is $50/month plus a small % of sales and has good integration
one is $500 base + $100/mo + a small percent of sales and is the best system out there

I'm just debating which to use. I have a friend who's a pro that can build it for around 3k but he's literally one of the best out there. I have a handful of others for less but i don't trust their work.