Alt art in SHM and EVE

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Alt art in SHM and EVE

Post by squt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Did anyone ever come up with a full list of SHM and EVE alt art cards? I don't remember if there was anything in SHM, but I just noticed a couple of Hags in Chinese Eventide had alternate art - the Hedge Mage and the Desecrator. I still like to collect those...

There aren't any in ALA or Conflux.

Squt

squt

Post by squt » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Is this a "no", a "nobody collects those anymore", or "Hey Squt you missed a thread where we already talked about this?"

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:09 pm

I don't think you missed a thread.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:59 am

squt wrote:Is this a "no", a "nobody collects those anymore", or "Hey Squt you missed a thread where we already talked about this?"
I'll check with a friend of mine in Panang and see if we can shake some loose.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Re: Alt art in SHM and EVE

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:56 pm

squt wrote:- the Hedge Mage and the Desecrator.
Which Hedge Mage has been redone? My friend did not know of an alt art but is looking and would like the exact name.
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:32 pm

squt wrote:Is this a "no", a "nobody collects those anymore", or "Hey Squt you missed a thread where we already talked about this?"
Looks more like the forum has become slower and slower in the last weeks...

squt

Post by squt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:17 pm

In EVE, Hag Hedge Mage and Desecrator Hag. I have both of those, but was wondering if anything turned up in SHM.

In fact, I actually have extras of the foils if anyone wants to trade.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:46 am

squt wrote:In EVE, Hag Hedge Mage and Desecrator Hag. I have both of those, but was wondering if anything turned up in SHM.

In fact, I actually have extras of the foils if anyone wants to trade.
Ooops, I read your post to say you were looking for those. Yes, I want one of each in foil and non-foil. I will PM you.
Gary Adkison

monkeymadness
Librarities Legend

Post by monkeymadness » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:10 am

These are the ones that I know of. If anyone knows of any more, please let me know.

Shadowmoor:
Cinderhaze Wretch
Corrupt
Kulrath Knight
Sootwalkers
Tettermunge Duo
Tattermunge Witch
Lurebound Scarcrow
Reaper king

Eventide:
Wilderness Hypnotist
Desecrator Hag
Hag Hedge-Mage
Harvest Gwyllion

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:42 am

monkeymadness wrote:These are the ones that I know of. If anyone knows of any more, please let me know.
Wow, thanks. Will start looking. Though it makes one wonder why some of these would need alternate art... but, oh well.
Gary Adkison

monkeymadness
Librarities Legend

Post by monkeymadness » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:25 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
monkeymadness wrote:These are the ones that I know of. If anyone knows of any more, please let me know.
Wow, thanks. Will start looking. Though it makes one wonder why some of these would need alternate art... but, oh well.
They all have skulls in the non-Chinese versions. Chinese versions have the blobs or rocks instead.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:07 am

Hi Members.
I have remarked that starting Shards of Alara, Simplified Chinese Cards are fully showing skeletons, etc...Is it the end of Alternate Art?Does the policy of Chinese Authorities or WOTC have changed? Does anyone have info about this.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Jeppe
Librarities Legend

Post by Jeppe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 am

From Ask Wizards:

November 12, 2008

Q: Did you ship Shards of Alara to China? If so, how did you bypass their strict rule of a skeleton-free culture in the country? (especially in this set where there are lots of skeletons)
–Dominic, Quezon City, Philippines

A: From Jeremy Jarvis, Magic Art Director:
Chinese Skeletonize

Hi Dominic,

Yes, we shipped to China, and no, there aren't an abnormally large number of alternate illustrations for that market. In fact, there are none. In early discussions within Magic Creative, once we started to hone in on the idea that the uBr shard would be this sort of Magic version of a "Heavy Metal" Hell-scape we knew we would have to diverge from our normal approach, if for no other reason than time line. We simply could not alt-illustrate an entire shard. We opened discussions with Brand, and at the end of the day, were give free reign to make Grixis look like we felt it should look, without concession to any singular market. I'll let Elaine Chase from Brand speak to the 'how' of your question:

A: From Elaine Chase, Magic Brand:

We took a look at the current state of the Chinese games market to see what has changed since we started selling Magic there. While skeletons are still not exactly "polite," they have turned more into an unlucky symbol that the older generation reacts much more strongly to than the younger, games-playing population. Video games have really opened up what is considered acceptable, and if anything, the use of such "edgy" images can be seen as a draw to our audience. Society hasn't changed to anything-goes in regards to representing the dead, but the Wizards of the Coast office in charge of China agreed to let us proceed with Grixis.
My cat collection and my Scathe Zombies collection
Do you have cards that I'm looking for? Let me know!

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:55 pm

It should be noted, however, that, even thought there was a strong feeling about images representing the dead and death itself, there was another strong motivation for alternate art in China. The Ministry of Culture pushed hard for Chinese representation in the depiction and creation of the game. You will notice many of the lands and other alternate art in Portal was done by Chinese artists. This carried over into the development of P3K and horsemanship instead of flying. It gave them both a little feeling of ownership and a bigger piece of the pie.

I suspect that motivation will raise it's head again so don't assume you have the final page in your alternate art collection.
Gary Adkison