Magic Print Sheets / Card Distribution / Odds in a booster

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Magic Print Sheets / Card Distribution / Odds in a booster

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:44 am

So I'm embarking on a bit of a project, ultimately I would like to calculate the "chance of opening" each card, from each set, from their respective boosters.

To do this, I've made some spreadsheets that tally up rarities of card, number of cards in boosters, numbers of each rarity per booster, etc. The math is super easy on the new sets, and somewhat tricky on the older ones where they are so many rarities (C1, C2, C3, C4, U1, U2, U3, etc). To double-check my work, I'm comparing the checklists (available everywhere) to the actual print-sheets to insure that U2 are really appearing on each Uncommon sheet twice, etc. I also like the idea of having the mapping of each print sheet recorded. I am 'collecting' photos of each (quality doesn't matter, even a somewhat fuzzy shot of a print sheet, at an odd angle is fine) to help proof this.

So far I have determined the print sheet layouts (in full) for:

Antiquities Common Sheet
Antiquities Uncommon Sheet
Fallen Empires Uncommon Sheet
Legends Uncommon Sheet (Italian)
Legends Rare Sheet (Italian)
Revised Common Sheet (English)
Revised Uncommon Sheet (English)
Revised Rare Sheet (English)
4th Edition Rare Sheet (Portugese)
4th Edition Rare Sheet (Spanish)
4th Edition Common Sheet (Portugese)
4th Edition Basic Land Sheet (French)
Urza's Saga Rare Sheet (English)
Arena 1996 Basic Land Sheet

I would be very appreciative if anyone has print sheets and could send me or imbed a photo or photos of them here, or if you just have the layouts that helps too. I am also making notes of other things on the sheets such as cut lines, marks (in marker, pencil, etc), and other interesting traits (ie: revised sheets have partial 'empty' card frames on the left, bottom, and top edges - other sets that I have seen do not)

Thank you for your help! I am more than happy to post my photos, and my layouts that I know, as well as some of the odds I've calculated thus far if anyone is curious too :)
Last edited by Tenacious_Dyl on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:59 am

Check out my uncut sheet thread, I have French 4th Rare sheet, and Urza's Saga Rare sheet

Im assuming you got others from cardhaus site =p

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:51 am

Is there a difference between the languages? I mean are the cards on different positions?

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:26 pm

pp wrote:Is there a difference between the languages? I mean are the cards on different positions?
That's a great question, part of me believes that they are the same (at least for the majority), especially because most releases were almost instantaneous in terms of different language releases. However, sets where there seemed to be a fairly long delay between English and foreign may very well have been redone, especially when there were no 'special' rarities. I would guess that if any foreign/English sheets were different from each other in layout that it would be Legends and/or Revised. Does anyone know?

wizard1 wrote:Im assuming you got others from cardhaus site =p

Guilty! This is where I found the Fallen Empires Uncommons, and the French and Portugese stuff. However, the Revised, Antiquities, and Legends sheets I know because I own them :) Normal Magic backed as well.

Thanks for mentioning your thread, I grabbed all your great photos from there, but I'm still definitely looking for more. Some that are mentioned are also not photographed or the auction and/or photo links are dead (couldn't find either Vanguard, 'Pokemon' Pre-con, the Shards foil rare sheet, or a clear shot of the FTV sheets that were discussed)

Anyone have any sheets they could photograph or know of any more images?

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:43 pm

I have a Foil Shards Rare sheet in German and 1 of the Exodus rare sheets I'll try to get some pics for you.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Here is some data I posted on the PSA forums regarding the Alpha/Beta set. I happen to own a set of Beta Artist Proof sheets and can send you a set of images if you PM me your email address.

* There are 4 "RARE" Islands on the beta and Unlimited Sheets, 5 on alpha. 1 of the alpha Islands was supposed to be the rare dual land Volcanic Island.
* There are 26 Lands on the Uncommon Sheet broken down as 2 Islands, 6 Swamps, 6 Plains, 6 Mountains, 6 Forests.
* There are 41 Lands on the beta and Unlimited Sheets broken down as 10 Islands, 9 Swamps, 8 Plains, 10 Mountains, 9 Forests. There is one additional land on the alpha Common sheet that took the spot of the C.O.P Black.

--------------------------------------------------------

Since Dave seems to have a little too much time on his hands these days, I'll toss out a little more information so he can decipher exactly how many of each land picture are available

*Disclaimer, this will ONLY pertain to the beta and Unlimited sets as I am unsure which land pictures replaced which from the alpha Sheets as there were only 2 of each picture on the alpha printing and 3 for beta and Unl.

Rare Sheet = 4 Islands
2x Islands pic 1 (Blue)
2x Islands pic 2 (red)

Uncommon Sheet = 2 Islands, 6 Forests, 6 Mountains, 6 Plains, 6 Swamps

1x Island pic 1 (blue)
1x Island pic 3 (dark red)

2x Forest pic 1 (shadow)
2x Forest pic 2 (path)
2x Forest pic 3 (eyes)

2x Mountain pic 1 (left snow)
2x Mountain pic 2 (right snow)
2x Mountain pic 3 (no snow)

2x Plains pic 1 (clouds)
2x Plains pic 2 (trees)
2x Plains pic 3 (dark clouds)

2x Swamps pic 1 (low branch)
2x Swamps pic 2 (hi branch)
2x Swamps pic 3 (dark)

Common Sheet = 10 Islands, 9 Forests, 10 Mountains, 8 Plains, 9 Swamps

4x Island pic 1 (blue)
3x Island pic 2 (red)
3x Island pic 3 (dark red)

3x Forest pic 1 (shadow)
3x Forest pic 2 (path)
3x Forest pic 3 (eyes)

4x Mountain pic 1 (left snow)
3x Mountain pic 2 (right snow)
3x Mountain pic 3 (no snow)

2x Plains pic 1 (clouds)
3x Plains pic 2 (trees)
3x Plains pic 3 (dark clouds)

3x Swamps pic 1 (low branch)
3x Swamps pic 2 (hi branch)
3x Swamps pic 3 (dark)

GET TO WORK DAVE, WE DEMAND ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!

I'll see if I can get an answer to exactly what the ratio of Starters and Boosters were for these sets. I know a few peeps up here that might have the answer and will see if they'll share.

-------------------------
Len
Tap4black

2006 PSA Hall of Fame Modern Non-Sport Set Recipient
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Magic Print Sheets / Card Distribution / Odds in a boost

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Tenacious_Dyl wrote:
I would be very appreciative if anyone has print sheets and could send me or imbed a photo or photos of them here, or if you just have the layouts that helps too.
This probably won't help you any but it is the only sheet I have that you didn't list.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmqz0dlmyaz

The thing that doesn't jump right out in the pictures is that is is only 10x10 and not 11x11. The rarities are not the same.

Gary