How do you catalog your collection(s)?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Re: berk's horde

Post by berkumps » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Mirror_Lich wrote:But wheres the evidence of the 300 lbs of stuff I sent you?!
The 300 lbs didn't make it into the room, I reserved half the basement for that, and strewn it all about.

I thought about constructing a baby crib out of cards, but it proved structurally unsound. Had to "splurge" on an IKEA crib.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: How do you catalog your collection(s)?

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:36 pm

ninjason wrote:Do any of you use tools to manage, catalog, and document your various collection(s) and trade lists? I've heard of Magic Workstation and it seems intriguing, but before I start down any particular path and put the effort into cataloging mass amounts of cards, I thought I'd check with the experts. Here is the URL if you want to check out what Magic Workstation can do. http://www.magicworkstation.com/
Like Mister Foilcard I use MS Access and have built my own DB. The reasons he gave are real plusses in the longterm. If I had it to do all over again I would probably go with Magic Suitcase (as was mentioned in answer to your other post) just for the ease of adding the new expansions as they come out. I have had to format all the present expansions in a way that I can import the data to Access--it is a bit of a pain in the ...... and would be worse if I had to work also. Nice thing is that making trade lists/deck lists/whatever is easy as pie--I just change my DB as I desire, adding or deleating as I expierment with it.

best of luck
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:08 am

HAHAHA best method EVER!!!
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm

berkumps wrote:I admit, it needs a little work, but this is my cataloging method at the moment:
Well now that Berkumps has hijacked this thread with his "X" rated pictures and shared with the world a real collectors perspective of organization I'll share a couple shots:

Image The play set, Image Extra beyond playset
Image Packaged Stuff--kinda Image L5R and Tokens.

Image and of course the closet where you hide all the junk.

So, ninjason, you have no worries--it will be easy to do better than this.

Gary

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm loving the asian themed card catalogue for L5R. Beats the plain drab white monster boxes I use.

Also, is that some alpha starters and boosters I spy in your closet?

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:37 pm

wow. nice pics! My collection is only 3 big binders and thats pretty much it. I rejoined magic so many times each time i just ended up selling what i had before so no oldies for me... even at booster drafts i usually leave all non-rare cards to the owner to sell....

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am

berkumps wrote:I'm loving the asian themed card catalogue for L5R. Beats the plain drab white monster boxes I use.

Also, is that some alpha starters and boosters I spy in your closet?
koff koff,,,, no it's just junk...... (the LAND box has the good stuff in it).

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 am

shaselai1 wrote:wow. nice pics! My collection is only 3 big binders and thats pretty much it. I rejoined magic so many times each time i just ended up selling what i had before so no oldies for me... even at booster drafts i usually leave all non-rare cards to the owner to sell....
Well, there have been a couple "usless" cards that I threw back and was real glad later that I did....Bazaar of Baghdad comes to mind. Some of the HOT cards that I treasured though have kinda faded away..Juzam Djinn...
So you may really be ahead of the rest of us......
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:41 am

Great photos!

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:06 am

Great Pics =D>
Was calculating how many pics will be necessary to show up my MTG Collection with Extras, and I end up to 20 #-o
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:10 pm

dragsamou wrote:Great Pics =D>
Was calculating how many pics will be necessary to show up my MTG Collection with Extras, and I end up to 20 #-o
Well, you really need to learn the art of stuffing stuff in closets.......

Actually the webmaster here has been kind enough to set up a special section called "Collections" where we ALL would LOVE to see those pictures....... [-o<

Gary

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:29 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
dragsamou wrote:Great Pics =D>
Well, you really need to learn the art of stuffing stuff in closets.......

Actually the webmaster here has been kind enough to set up a special section called "Collections" where we ALL would LOVE to see those pictures....... [-o<

Gary
Gary, trust me, things are stuff in closets and any place that can contains MTG cards or products, I do have a full MTG Room, but there's also some in the living room and my bedroom as well #-o
I'm right now taking a break from Big Updates, 8 monthes, I didn't took care of my collection, so I will manage to take some pics, and post them :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:48 pm

dragsamou wrote:Gary, trust me, things are stuff in closets and any place that can contains MTG cards or products, I do have a full MTG Room, but there's also some in the living room and my bedroom as well #-o
I'm right now taking a break from Big Updates, 8 monthes, I didn't took care of my collection, so I will manage to take some pics, and post them :wink:
For histroical documentation you really need "Before" and "After" pictures. Works for weight-loss adds.
Besides, Berkumps has shown us the way. No one need fear showing their rooms after those pictures....
Gary Adkison

Faustgeist

Post by Faustgeist » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:04 pm

I used to use Magic workstation (MWS)... but there are some bugs which killed my master library list and a whole ton of work, alas... so I decided to move to a paper/scan format... easy enough.

I use the DCI Deck Checklists to inventory my cards, scan them and have a web site to check on what I have/need while shopping in any store around the world... using an iphone, ipad, computer, et all.

Physically, cards each sleeved & organized by edition, by color, alphabetically. Contained within thirty or so 3,500 card boxes. Bulky, but there are not many ways around that, ha.

The promo collection, which is my present focus is not in boxes, but rather stored in 9 sleeve card-pages... I find it easier and more entertaining to thumb through these. *grin*

What does it look like online? Easy....

http://columbiamagicleague.com/?page_id=100

*My organization method does have some simple drawbacks = updating.

If I get a large update I
1. Write the changes down on the 'master piece of paper for that edition'
2. Scan it
3. Upload it

My biggest challenge right now is deciding on how to organize the darned promos. I think this web site has the best list, so have adopted it's categories. :)

Magic paraphernalia is more challenging - clothing, props, posters and oddities just have to sit on the shelves looking kinda organized. The 'Magic Room' is shared with my girl's sewing machine. :)

Pics forthcoming...
My local MtG Group :
ColumbiaMagicLeague.com

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:18 am

Faustgeist wrote:My biggest challenge right now is deciding on how to organize the darned promos. I think this web site has the best list, so have adopted it's categories. :)
First of all:

1) Love that web site. Do you do these yourself??
2) Love the atmosphere of your gaming group and the pictures--that is real Magic the way it was ment to be.

Second:

While I have drawn VERY heavely on the information on this site for my promos, The arrangement does not work for me. My basic approach is historical. My divisions are based on the "reasons" the promo cards were used--mainly Organized Play or Marketing.

I will post an outline of the structure in the near future (when I can find a way to draw a chart that I can post). It is not perfect and will not work for some people but, because of the logic of it, I can find what I am looking for easily.

Thanks for your post--love it.

Gary