Different Exodus booster versions and Others...

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

fancyman
Librarities Member

Different Exodus booster versions and Others...

Post by fancyman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 am

I've seen two variants of the Exodus booster, but I thought they were only coloring differences. In one, there is a lot more black and the word Exodus doesn't seem to have any inner letter detailing, like this one:

While this one does have inner letter detailing, and the golden foiling to the wrapper jumps out a bit more

I just noticed that there is another major difference though. The darker one has a straight line crimp on the pack while the detailed one has a waffle crimp as seen here
and here http://i.imgur.com/e3duFsF.jpg

Does anyone know of any other crimping variations within Exodus or if there were multiple crimp types for other expansions?

Default User
Librarities Hero

Post by Default User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 am

I was going to reply that these came from the Vanguard boxes, but it appears that I'm messing these up with the Visions boosters. (Altough the box had a korean Weatherlight pack, so I wasn't that far off.)

Maybe WotC tested different printing facilities and they would have different machines for the sealing. They are most likely from differnet print runs, as it's not too usual for packing material design to be changed during printings, unless there's been some serious mishaps. (Corrupted design files and too small initial material orders etc...)

I distinctly remember opening the waffle crimp packs during the Mirage-block and finding the line seals strange, when seeing them for the first time. Too bad I cannot remember the time frame any better.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:54 am

Maybe a Made in USA( Pre Release Pack)s and Made in Belgium(regular Packs) issue ?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 am

mmgun wrote:Maybe a Made in USA( Pre Release Pack)s and Made in Belgium(regular Packs) issue ?
Hi

I was about to write the same thing, will be interesting to check about it, as in that case, I will need a Second Exodus Booster for my Sealed booster Collection. I just checked mine it says in French "Exclusive Distribution in France by Wizard of the Coast France". I own a Light One with the waffle crimp.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 am

This was discussed here:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... ght=exodus

But similar conclusions were drawn aswell. Underneath the seal, it should say where each was printed, but that's only visible if you're willing to fold up the seal, which globalboosterhunter was not, as it would no longer be a mint pack.
Last edited by berkumps on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fancyman
Librarities Member

Post by fancyman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for the link berkumps. I did a forum search before posting but didn't find the link you provided.

My question still stands though, does anyone know of other editions that have this or similar variation. I'd like to know so I can search out the variants I don't have.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:14 am

berkumps wrote:This was discussed here:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... ght=exodus

But similar conclusions were drawn aswell. Underneath the seal, it should say where each was printed, but that's only visible if you're willing to fold up the seal, which globalboosterhunter was not, as it would not longer be a mint pack.
Hi Mark

No need to fold up the seal, just lift it carefully, to see what's written under, that's what I did.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:10 am

I will have a look under the tab when I manage to dig them out. Not sure where I put them all at the last tidy up.

I am still on the look out for other examples of this but I have not come across any so far. I also haven't come across any doubles so I think they must be a relatively low print run but with such small numbers it is hard to be sure.

fancyman
Librarities Member

Post by fancyman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:31 am

Sorry for taking so long to post a reply, but here is what you'll see when you pull back the seal:
http://i.imgur.com/JlDDHrF.jpg?1
I didn't mind opening these two since they are not in great condition and I have duplicates:
http://i.imgur.com/qF3Pdht.jpg?1
waffle pack:
http://i.imgur.com/h5nn8ws.jpg?1
lines pack:
http://i.imgur.com/3qBYLGy.jpg?1

What's interesting is the collation of these two. The rare divides the comoons and uncommons in the lined pack but in the waffle pack has a few commons after the rare and some before the uncommons. If anyone has access to the uncut sheets for exodus, we might learn even more...

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:10 am

So one is made in Belgium and one is made in the USA.

Probably the Belgium variety appear rarer in the USA and the USA variety is harder to find in Europe.

At least we now know what to ask for when buying packs. I will check some of the others to see if they are the same.

I don't fancy trying to get two of everything...

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 am

fancyman wrote: What's interesting is the collation of these two. The rare divides the comoons and uncommons in the lined pack but in the waffle pack has a few commons after the rare and some before the uncommons. If anyone has access to the uncut sheets for exodus, we might learn even more...
My Korean exodus packs are packed the same way, already discussed here:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... c&start=30

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 am

Hi

Great, so now, I need to find an Exodus Booster "Made in USA", as the one I have is "Made in Belgium", and the Japanese one also "Made in Belgium".
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:56 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi

Great, so now, I need to find an Exodus Booster "Made in USA", as the one I have is "Made in Belgium", and the Japanese one also "Made in Belgium".
I know Mirage had starters printed in both US and Belgium, not sure about boosters, but that's the earliest set I know about that has both printings (other than alternate 4th).

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:53 am

Pretty sure I have two different types of Mirage boosters. Some had very golden ends and some were dull looking.

Same differences in the sealing as well.

I have scanned them so I will dig out the scans when I get home.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 pm

I knew I had some around here.

I will have to dig out the original packs to confirm they were made in different countries but...

Fifth Edition
ImageImage

Mirage
ImageImage

ImageImage