Stamped Product

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Stamped Product

Post by BillBo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:22 am

Sorting away cards to make room for Theros, I was wondering whether anyone on this forum cares about stamped product from professional drafts?

I try to keep a play set of each card with different stamps but would be happy to trade the rest with someone who happens to be interested in it.
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:45 am

I always thought we should catalog these stamps on this site somewhere. I have a pile of these. Nobody has ever been interested in them but me.

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:47 am

You're no longer alone ;-)

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:04 am

Hello,
so you are interested in all Theros cards set with a draft stamp "Pro tour Dublin" (as exemple) ?

That is weird :)

Some time you will find a classic stamp like this :

But since few GPs/PTs, their used a stamp with the mention "Pro Tour San Diego" (for exemple)... I don't remember to see a date on it.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 am

Hi All

I do have some of them, while I never play, I do have a last page of a binder with Stamped cards. Tim, I can always create a Section/subsection in the future or use an existing one. How to name it? Same thing, I will depends on good scans of Members as I do own very few.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm not sure how we would name it. Something like Tournament Stamped Cards? I'm open to ideas.

I can scan the ones I have eventually, but I have very little information about their origin.

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 am

I feel collecting is a multifaceted activity and aiming at complete sets of X is just one among many other options. So, to answer yvel's question, I'm not interested in getting complete sets. I just happen to have many from events I worked and like them as souvenirs and use them to "pimp" my deck when I get a chance to play. That's all, pretty low key.

I raised the question primarily for two reasons. First (personal interest), I'd be interested in trading stamped cards with others who happen to have them. Second (as a service to the community), I think having a list stamps used would be a great general resource to have. These cards are, after all, "rare." Eg, it could be used to resolve disputes like the one we've seen the other day on the MTG Rarities and Oddities fb group.

If others (like Tim) think it's worthwhile, I'd be willing to start such a project with scans and provenance (just give me a couple of weeks) and believe I could use my judging network to get more samples than I happen to have and get more information I currently have.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

I have a number of stamped cards, including playables like Intuition and Lotus Bloom, and a playset of stamped FS Tarmogoyfs that was quite difficult to put together. I think they're worth discussing as rarities.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:49 pm

I have long thought that these cards deserved recognition in some way. I hate to think of where some of mine might be. I know in Korea in the early days the players got real upset with stamped cards (and I don't think the card value was the reason...).

I think they deserve mention as an aside to the game itself. Collecting them would be an interesting though endless endeavor. The challenge would be to identify which mark was used where and when.

Are there any places that still do this? I really liked the European thing of opening and pre-listing sealed product. Probably too much work but I see and hear of way too much cheating at prereleases and am afraid it is going to taint the game. More than one person I know has stopped playing Magic events because of it.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:05 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:The challenge would be to identify which mark was used where and when.Gary
That Quest is Sooooooooooooo Yours Gary :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:15 pm

I had a ton of stamped product from pre-2000 sets. I always gave them away as oddities. They were never one of my collecting interests, as there were enough variations of symbols and colors that I would have gone crazy trying to collect them all.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:19 pm

hammr7 wrote:I had a ton of stamped product from pre-2000 sets. I always gave them away as oddities. They were never one of my collecting interests, as there were enough variations of symbols and colors that I would have gone crazy trying to collect them all.
Hi Henry

If I ever create that Section/Subsection in the future, my idea is to put the Most beautiful stamps, and enough different ones, that makes the Section interesting. This my favorite one:

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:57 pm

That Myr sure is eyeing up that delicious ice cream cone.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:00 pm

berkumps wrote:That Myr sure is eyeing up that delicious ice cream cone.
Hi Mark

Me too, whenever I look at that Stamped Card =P~
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

vegas10
Librarities Hero

Post by vegas10 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:57 am

I have a couple of PT stamped cards as well I can send scans of once this is put together. Seems like a good idea I actually do try to get these when I can.