Actors MTG Promos from 2008 ?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:31 pm

ouallada wrote:Will look through it and get back. Not feeling well at the moment :)
Get better...Take your time.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:00 pm

I don't know if I agree with the Gift Promo category. I'd almost classify this in the same vein as cards like Splendid Genesis. They look like a Magic card, they may even be officially printed by a WOTC sub-contractor, but they aren't *really* Magic cards--as in cards you can play.

So, I guess my definition of promo are promotional cards that are useable in a game of Magic. The holiday gift cards ride the line here, as "Un" sets are not tournament legal, but they are playable magic cards in a casual format.

While these "actor" cards have real magic abilities that you could play in a game of magic, I'm not sure I know anyone that would allow these cards to be played. In fact, they seem to be more akin to officially printed "joke proxy" cards you see around the 'net (where people use their own picture and create fictional abilities) than to a real magic card.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:13 pm

aleksandr wrote:I don't know if I agree with the Gift Promo category. I'd almost classify this in the same vein as cards like Splendid Genesis. They look like a Magic card, they may even be officially printed by a WOTC sub-contractor, but they aren't *really* Magic cards--as in cards you can play.

So, I guess my definition of promo are promotional cards that are useable in a game of Magic. The holiday gift cards ride the line here, as "Un" sets are not tournament legal, but they are playable magic cards in a casual format.

While these "actor" cards have real magic abilities that you could play in a game of magic, I'm not sure I know anyone that would allow these cards to be played. In fact, they seem to be more akin to officially printed "joke proxy" cards you see around the 'net (where people use their own picture and create fictional abilities) than to a real magic card.
Hi Aleksander

Thanks for your input. Like I say, I need to create a subsection before anything in order to put Logo, Scans, Info, etc....They are placed nowhere for the moment, from the different comments on this topic, it seems that the Gifts Cards Section was the more appropriate, on my level, I do not consider them as "Promos", that's why the word Promo is not mentioned :)
More input from different Members will be interesting, on my part , I need to put them in a Section for when my webmaster will add the subsections that are pending.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi Members

I did get extra info, apparently that these cards were not made on regular MTG card stock, and that they were made from some WOTC Employees internally and not at the regular Printing facillity of Wizards/Hasbro. Can someone confirm this.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:11 pm

If that is true then these are no better than the silly proxies you see posted all over the 'net. Worse even, because in many of the proxy cases, people acetone off a real card face and print on a genuine back...

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:45 am

Correct. They are not on actual card stock.

@Aleksandr:

The most important difference, ignoring semantics, is that these were officially created and given out by wotc, same as cards like the robotchicken on the other thread. Self created cards sre just that, cards created by individuals for their own use. Should we ignore the entire set of french/german test prints because they aren't on actual card stock? How about the 8e/jud/5d ones?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 am

ouallada wrote:Correct. They are not on actual card stock.

@Aleksandr:

The most important difference, ignoring semantics, is that these were officially created and given out by wotc, same as cards like the robotchicken on the other thread. Self created cards sre just that, cards created by individuals for their own use. Should we ignore the entire set of french/german test prints because they aren't on actual card stock? How about the 8e/jud/5d ones?
Hi

Thanks to confirm my P.I. job, regarding measurements are they the same as MTG cards? Than, I believe, I do have almost all the info about those. Thanks
On another note, First appearance of the French/German Test Prints was qualified as "Fakes" on Squt's website, different posts of others Members back in the years still qualify them as "Fakes", till this website and Members went hunting for precised and clear info. That's what we do here, we are looking for the truth and history, and if no info is available for now, I will simply write: "No additional info is available from the moment."
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:29 am

They look the same, but let me measure a bit later.

The french/german stuff was listed as fake because the first time they came into the public was with the waldfeens on ebay, sold by Amy Weber, where she listed them as fake cards given to her by WOTC. The impression stuck after. The point is that just because a card isn't on normal card stock does not make them no better than fakes created by indiciduals.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:46 am

ouallada wrote:They look the same, but let me measure a bit later.

The french/german stuff was listed as fake because the first time they came into the public was with the waldfeens on ebay, sold by Amy Weber, where she listed them as fake cards given to her by WOTC. The impression stuck after. The point is that just because a card isn't on normal card stock does not make them no better than fakes created by indiciduals.
Hi

Sorry, the first term used was "Real Fakes":

"Real" fakes:
Squt wrote: For a while now, I have known about some really crazy picture misprints that have been floating around on the secondary market. They all have German text, the wrong picture, and a FRENCH copyright date. They also do not use the standard 'Magic' Font for the name of the card. I never have published anything on these cards, because I just couldn't figure out where they were from. I have recently aquired a copy of one, and with it a little more info.
First of all, let me preface this by saying that these cards are fakes. They do not feel as sturdy as a real card, and indeed they do not stand up to the bend test (they crease). However, I aquired one of these cards from a former WOTC employee, who insists that multiple copies of each exist, and that they are from WOTC. My best guess is that these cards are test print cards of some kind, made on an inferior card stock. They can't be just plain old mistakes, because the number of errors and the consistancy of the errors between the cards. There may be many more of these floating around out there, but to my knowlege, these three are the only ones that have turned up on the secondary market..
Back to topic, I would love the precised measurements of actors Promos, just to make sure that they are the same as MTG Cards.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:19 pm

ouallada wrote:Correct. They are not on actual card stock.

@Aleksandr:

Do we have data to suggest they were really created by WOTC in an officially sanctioned manner, or were they created by some WOTC employees without company authorization?

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:02 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Back to topic, I would love the precised measurements of actors Promos, just to make sure that they are the same as MTG Cards.
Confirmed, same length and width as normal cards. Did not measure thickness or weight.
aleksandr wrote:Do we have data to suggest they were really created by WOTC in an officially sanctioned manner, or were they created by some WOTC employees without company authorization?
The official line we've seen here was from the link in the OP, but as these are not stickers and are actually items meant to further promote the game, it's hard to believe that any such action could be taken without an okay from the company itself. That would be a sackable offence in most companies, if intellectual property were intentionally leaked, especially to public figures.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

ouallada wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
Confirmed, same length and width as normal cards. Did not measure thickness or weight.
aleksandr wrote:Do we have data to suggest they were really created by WOTC in an officially sanctioned manner, or were they created by some WOTC employees without company authorization?
The official line we've seen here was from the link in the OP, but as these are not stickers and are actually items meant to further promote the game, it's hard to believe that any such action could be taken without an okay from the company itself. That would be a sackable offence in most companies, if intellectual property were intentionally leaked, especially to public figures.
Thanks for the size of cards, will just mention that they are on a different Card Stock, if ever you measure thickness and weight, I will add the info.
I know a full sheet was not done, but I would love to know , how much are precisely (More or less)in the wild. I believe, this is an Internal WOTC story, as it's not even mentioned on Wizards.com, so kind of discreet for a supposed promotion, I really don't like the word Promo for those :)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah never mind the use of "promo". We can agree or disagree on the semantics later.

6-8 sets in total was the number I was given.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:56 pm

ouallada wrote:Yeah never mind the use of "promo". We can agree or disagree on the semantics later.

6-8 sets in total was the number I was given.
Meaning 18/24 Actors Cards right?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Yep, 6-8 of each.