Any idea how this was created?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Axios is going to get a better scan, hopefully that clears up some of the difficulties. Incredible CSI work thus far, though.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:39 pm

ouallada wrote:Axios is going to get a better scan, hopefully that clears up some of the difficulties. Incredible CSI work thus far, though.
10 Years or more ago, Nico was already looking for a better scan :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Was not on this card alexis ;-)
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:38 pm

AXIOS wrote:Was not on this card alexis ;-)
Héhé...Better get used again on my wicked sense of humor Nico :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Haha o i absolutly don't mind :D

The difference between now and ten years ago is that i now am a single dad with two litrlw children at the age of almost 7 (naomi) and 4 (milan) which i have to take care of and are very time consuming (which i absolutly don't mind)
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

kitzune
Librarities Member

Post by kitzune » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:48 am

l0qii wrote:...Image

Conclusion:
I looked through every artifact in Tempest, as well as Exodus and Stronghold (in case this came from a precon), and there are no cards that match this text layout exactly. However, the card could be French (Artefact).

3 possibilities:
It's not from Tempest block
It's French (and all my words are wrong)
It's an English artifact with text that was changed before the final print
The wording "play this ability as a mana source" is interesting. Don't think I've seen that phrase used except in certain older sets - Mirage or thereabouts? Before they changed the card layout.

For example, apart from the card spacing, it looks like the text used for Mana Prism (Mirage) and Worn Powerstone (Urza's Saga)? :-k

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:26 pm

The phrase was use on a few cards in Tempest. I thought the words lined up nicely with the smudges but if someone has an alternate theory I'd love to hear it.

kitzune
Librarities Member

Post by kitzune » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:19 pm

l0qii wrote:The phrase was use on a few cards in Tempest. I thought the words lined up nicely with the smudges but if someone has an alternate theory I'd love to hear it.
Greetings l0qii. Apologies, no alternate theory here. I can barely make out the smudges from the scans. The only wording I could put into the blanks was from Lotus Petal, and the actual text layout doesn't align with the scan as you've already mentioned (Tempest set).

I did not mean that the words did not line up nicely with the smudges - I meant that, like you, I was not able to match the exact text layout used on cards containing that phrase to the image outside the Tempest block you've already mentioned checking. But I was mentioning possibility of Mirage-Urza's Saga block as there are others likely more familiar with those cards than I would be.

Regards,
Ev.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:29 am

l0qii wrote:If we assume that this is from a scrap sheet, can we also assume that it is hand cut?
Not necessarily. Every process step requires a setup, and that includes the cutting stages. And for cutting, you want to use the messed up color setup sheets. Most scrap has to be shredded at some point, and cutting larger sheets into smaller pieces helps that effort.

If you are re-using scrapped sheets, you really don't care where the sheet came from, only that the card stock is approximately the same thickness, and the sheet is approximately the same size. Printing equipment, which is ridiculously expensive, controls print sheet size (or at least the range of allowable sizes). So it wouldn't be a surprise if Magic and non-Magic process steps ended up on the same sheet, since the sheets of Magic and non-Magic cards would be the same size.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:46 am

Manakin also uses this phrase but like Lotus Petal is not an exact match

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Okay, looking at the card in person, pretty convinced the double printed text belongs to lotus petal, although the text alignment is different. Probably an altered overlay for scrap testing.