Italian Second Edition With Bold Copyright.

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Italian Second Edition With Bold Copyright.

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm looking to gather information here on the Italian Second Edition (Revised) cards with the BOLD Copyright.

I first heard them mentioned here...
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=2383

Here are some examples from that thread...
Left: slash on i, Revised text
Middle: dot on i, Revised text, bold copyright
Right: dot on i, 4th Edition text, normal copyright

close up of the Bold copyright as compared to a regular 4th Edition card.

Most Italian Second Edition cards have a regular copyright like the 4th Edition cards, but some of them have a Bold copyright.

The Bold copyright is not just heavy inking as the Bold causes the text to lengthen so that you can see the copyright line IS longer.

The Bold copyright cards seem to use the same text and alignment as Italian Second Edition cards.

Some of the Bold copyright cards use a dot over the lowercase i like 4th Edition. I personaly have a Bold copyright Library of Leng that uses a slash over the lowercase i like Italian Second Edition cards. I think this indicates that the Bold copyright printing was in between Italian Second Edition & Italian 4th Edition.

Commons and Uncommons have been shown to exist with the Bold copyright.
(update: Rares have been found also)

Possibly not connected, but the German/French test prints also appear to use a Bold copyright.

I am looking for some of these Bold copyright cards for my global sets. Are they hard to find? I have multiple of the Library of Leng so far and no others, but Italian cards aren't frequent here in the USA. Do all cards in the set exist with Bold copyright? Maybe we should make a list, what do you have?

Looking for more information and/or opinions.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Tav

I soon get bold over those Italian Cards :-D , but I own very few, only Legends, Rinascimento, and Introductory Two player Set :-D
Just wanted to added on another note that regarding:

Rinascimento:
White= Black Copyright
Blue= Black Copyright
Black= White Copyright
Red= Black Copyright
Green= White Copyright
Artifact= White Copyright
Land= Black Copyright

Legends
White= Black Copyright
Blue= Black Copyright
Black= White Copyright
Red= Black Copyright
Green= White Copyright
Multicolor= White Copyright
Artifact= White Copyright
Land= Black Copyright
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Hello Alexis, Have you seen the Bold copyright on any sets other than Italian Second Edition? So far I have only seen it on Italian Second Edition.

Also, I have only seen the Bold on White copyright lines. I haven't seen Bold in Black yet.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:08 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:Hello Alexis, Have you seen the Bold copyright on any sets other than Italian Second Edition? So far I have only seen it on Italian Second Edition.

Also, I have only seen the Bold on White copyright lines. I haven't seen Bold in Black yet.

Tav
Hi Tav

No bold in those 3 sets.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:28 am

Does anyone know what that black card with the bold copyright is above?

So far we have Channel, Library of Leng, and that black card.

Tav

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:22 am

cataclysm80 wrote:Does anyone know what that black card with the bold copyright is above?

So far we have Channel, Library of Leng, and that black card.

Tav
I made that scan originally, and I'm pretty sure it was Drain Life, but I wasn't able to find that card in my collection to confirm it. It may be long gone.

I did find this though

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Also Rares exist.
http://www.cardgame-club.it/

This site has all the pictures, someone just need to check all 3xx Cards (;

Maybe this helps:

3rd WB

4th

Rare

Power Surge 3rd WB

4th

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Wow, thanks for that link! When I get some time (in a week or so), I'll look through all those images and post here which cards show the Bold copyright. A quick glance shows that not all Italian Second Edition cards pictured on that site have the bold copyright, but possibly it is just coincidence that those are the cards they happened to scan.

We know that Common, Uncommon, & Rare exist with Bold copyright. Do you suppose that the whole sheet was printed with Bold copyright, or was it just specific cards? So far I have still only seen White Bold copyrights, No Black ones.

The majority of Bold copyright cards posted here show the slash over the lowercase i. Only the Channel shows a Bold copyright with a dot over the lowercase i. Channel also has a version that is Bold copyright with a slash over the lowercase i. We haven't seen a Channel with regular copyright and text matching Italian Second Edition. Maybe regular copyright versions of the Bold copyright cards don't exist? I wonder if there are dotted i versions of these other Bold copyright cards that we've seen?

Tav

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Very interesting post! If that shop should have an amount of pictures with bold copyright listed, they shouldn't be too scarce. Yet, it's questionable whether the entire set is affected. Could also be partial like this:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9132

Does anyone have collected the bolds systematically or own a huge stock of that set? This would help much.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:16 am

Shell scripts can do funny things.
First i thought the copyright alignment was just sloppy, but its 2 different sorts of alignment. Some of those are bold and some are not.

Shifted Copyright/Textbox
ImageImageImageImageImage

Bold and shifted copyright
ImageImageImageImageImage,ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

mesa pegasus right shift
darkpact right shift
Plains right shift
Personal Incarnation right shift
Balance right shift

Copy Artifact
power leak
Phantom monster
sleight of mind
steal artifact
demonic attorney
drain life
Simulacrum
Fork
Power surge
Roc of Kher ridges
Channel
Titanias song
War Mammoth
Lure
Library of Leng
Juggernaut
Basalt Monolith
Onulet
Last edited by mmgun on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:53 pm

mmgun wrote:Shell scripts can do funny things.
First i thought the copyright alignment was just sloppy, but its 2 different sorts of alignment. Some of those are bold and some are not.

mesa pegasus right shift
darkpact right shift
Plains right shift
Personal Incarnation right shift
Balance right shift

Copy Artifact
power leak
Phantom monster
sleight of mind
steal artifact
demonic attorney
drain life
Simulacrum
Fork
Power surge
Roc of Kher ridges
Channel
Titanias song
War Mammoth
Lure
Library of Leng
Juggernaut
Basalt Monolith
Onulet
Wow, thank you for looking through all the cards! As they are really many, can we assume that the entire edition has two versions? For the Channel, we know that there are both.

The error list can be specified like this, each card seems individually screwed:

Bottom frame script shifted: Mesa Pegasus
Entire frame script shifted: Darkpact
Title, type, text box shifted: Plains

Then there are "i"'s instead of "í"'s in some green cards. The red ones not only have the copyright date bold, but it's also the wrong colour.
Very confusing.

Anyone familiar with the software who can explain that?

mmgun, can you put always three pictures in a row? Then it becomes easier to check.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 pm

A little late to the party, but there is also some info in here:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=5764

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Re: Italian Second Edition With Bold Copyright.

Post by mmgun » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:04 pm

I got some artist proofs from Anson maddocks Lure and Onulet from italian 3rd WB
We checked his whole stock, he just has one version of Lure Proof ( Bold Copyright, dark color, "i" with slash)
There is no "i" with dot version for artist proofs, just for regular print.

Same for Onulet, only one version of Proof exist. But here i suppose, even for regular 3rd wb italian print only one version exists as well.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 am

A friend opened a couple booster boxes of Italian FWB for fun.

These booster packs in both boxes contained bold copyright AND regular copyright cards.
This is not something that affects the entire set, or even entire sheets. It's only specific cards in the set.
This is a card design issue, caused by something that happened before printing.
For unknown reasons, some cards in the set have bold copyright, and only those cards. It affects all copies of those cards in booster packs.

It also affects all copies of those cards Artist Proofs, because Artist Proofs were made with the booster pack print run.

Each card appeared on the sheet once, so there is no potential for multiple versions of the card on a sheet.
These cards from booster packs all have the font with the slash over the lowercase I.

I purchased a full set of Italian FWB Commons & Uncommons, along with most of a full set of Rares from these two booster boxes.
Luckily, I found an old Magic collector in Italy who had only purchased booster packs of Italian FWB, and I purchased the other Rares I was missing from him. Now I have a full set of Italian FWB from booster packs, to study this copyright issue.

I've looked at Italian FWB starter deck openings on YouTube, and have confirmed that the different version of these cards, with the round dot over the lowercase i, is from the Starter Deck print run of Italian FWB.
Apparently, some cards received corrections before printing the Starter Decks.
I know that the green cards with bold copyright received corrections.
I'm not aware of any other corrections, but I'm still looking into it.

These are the cards which are affected. These have a bold copyright line and are darker looking than the other cards in the set.
The green cards are...
Channel
Lure
War Mammoth
Titania's Song

The red cards are...
Fork
Power Surge
Roc of Kher Ridges

The artifacts are...
Library of Leng
Basalt Monolith
Juggernaught
Onulet

The black cards are...
Demonic Attourney
Simulacrum
Drain Life

The blue cards are...
Sleight of Mind
Steal Artifact
Phantom Monster
Power Leak
Copy Artifact

Amongst these cards, the creatures have a leftward shifted Power/Toughness, and all cards have an artist credit/copyright which is fully under the text box, not sticking out from under it on the left side. (other cards from the set have the "ILL" of "Illus.", leftward not under the text box)

The red cards & blue cards are very easy to spot because most of the red & blue cards in the set have a black copyright instead of the bold white copyright.

None of the white cards in the set have a bold white copyright because they have a black copyright instead.
However, a couple cards have the darker look with the leftward shifted Power/Toughness and the rightward shifted artist credit/copyright, so I'm sure they go with the bold copyright cards.
Mesa Pegasus
Personal Incarnation
(Update) Plains without trees artwork has one copy with shifted text, as discussed later in this thread.

Like the white cards, Darkpact has all the same issues without the bold copyright.

Note: my complete set contains one of each artwork of basic land. None of the basic lands I have, belong on this list, but each artwork appeared on the sheet multiple times, so there could potentially be some copies affected without all copies being affected.

That's the complete list.
We know that the green cards on this list received corrections in the Starter Deck print run.
We need to look at Starter Deck copies of the other cards listed, to see if any of them also received corrections.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:30 am

Here are pictures of the booster pack versions.