Duelist Magazine fantasy cards

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:20 am

I haven't tried it myself, but someone who does 3D card alters told me that the best way to glue a card was with a glue stick and then to roll over it on a hard flat surface with a rolling pin from the middle outward.
He said not to use a liquid glue because that's more difficult to spread evenly and less likely to be flat when you're done.

Of coarse it's important to get your printout to be the correct card size, and once you've done that it's about as easy to just print onto a blank card. Just print onto a regular piece of paper, then using double sided tape, stick your blank exactly on top of that printed image. Put the page back in the printer and print again, but this time it will print on the card.

Tav

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:05 pm

I will have to give that a try, I did read about printing directly onto the cards but had no idea how to go about it.

I use Elmer's aerosol glue, it gives a nice thin even coat, but it gets everywhere.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:58 pm

The easiest way to do this these days is probably just to double-sleeve your cards. Stick the cut-out and a regular card instead a perfect fit, and then sleeve as normal -- no glue needed.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Well since this is apparently popular enough, I guess I had best post exactly what I am planning to do(and why I need such a high-rez source)

www.makeplayingcards.com

Print-On-Demand bicycle cards(like for poker or bridge or what have you), but you can use your own image for each side; so magic card back, pick your own front, and they print out the exact same size as an ordinary magic cards.

I'm not entirely sure what the legal stance is on here, but for example I'm using it to proxy a few valuable cards I own(and I cannot stress enough that I own said cards) so that I can take them out and play with them without having to worry.

It's also fun for making high-quality proxies of cards that don't actually exist. So, assuming you can get a high enough quality source, you could make totally legit-looking proxies of these.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Well since this is apparently popular enough, I guess I had best post exactly what I am planning to do(and why I need such a high-rez source)

www.makeplayingcards.com

Print-On-Demand bicycle cards(like for poker or bridge or what have you), but you can use your own image for each side; so magic card back, pick your own front, and they print out the exact same size as an ordinary magic cards.

I'm not entirely sure what the legal stance is on here, but for example I'm using it to proxy a few valuable cards I own(and I cannot stress enough that I own said cards) so that I can take them out and play with them without having to worry.

It's also fun for making high-quality proxies of cards that don't actually exist. So, assuming you can get a high enough quality source, you could make totally legit-looking proxies of these.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:53 pm

hunterjwizard wrote:...so magic card back, pick your own front, and they print out the exact same size as an ordinary magic cards.

I'm not entirely sure what the legal stance is on here...
I'm going to guess that this is violating some sort of copyright. The magic card back is, after all, not your design, so the company may have issue with printing it for fear of legal recourse by WotC. The card images are also likely property of either WotC or the respective artist, so reprinting them (despite them being created for humorous purpose) could also be an issue.

Mind you, making one deck for your personal use (while still violating something), will fly under the radar far easier than making a bunch of decks for the purpose of resale. This is, of course, assuming this company is willing to print these for you.

Sounds like a fun idea for proxies however.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:54 pm

I've already printed some proxies this way, so it seems like the company is ok with it. (My guess is actually that the entire process is automated and they have no idea).

My understanding has always been that proxies, for personal use, are allowed. This method just makes proxies that look and feel more or less real(in truth you can spot them from across the table, easily, but they feel nice).

Mostly, I'd be hard pressed to figure out how making a handful of proxies for yourself this way is any different from making them at home on a laser printer(legally or ethically). Again, we're not talking counterfit cards, here, just proxies.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 pm

hunterjwizard wrote:Mostly, I'd be hard pressed to figure out how making a handful of proxies for yourself this way is any different from making them at home on a laser printer(legally or ethically). Again, we're not talking counterfit cards, here, just proxies.
I'm not up to snuff on US IP and copyright law, but I think the difference is you are paying somebody to print these for you. This does not make you at fault, just the person supplying the service. IMO, it's the company printing these at your request that has to worry, not you.