New Filler Card Mystery about the source

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

New Filler Card Mystery about the source

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Members

Few weeks ago, I did get a brand new filler not on the website (unfortunately the original owner couldn't provide me the source, the only info I could get was that it was collected in the last 2 years): Black Border with Barcode/ Black Border Filler Card 008 (Non Foil)

ImageImage

The previous known Barcode fillers with MTG back (Black Border with Barcode Filler Card 005) came from different sources:
From M13 boosters in 2012-07
From Dragon's Maze Italian boosters in 2013-04
From Theros boosters in 2013-09
From Khans of Tarkir boosters in 2014-09
From Dragons of Tarkir boosters in 2015-03
From Eldritch Moon boosters in 2016-07
From Kaladesh boosters in 2016-09
From Aether Revolt boosters in 2017-01

ImageImage

So, I tried to find out what was the source of that New filler, was it from one of the sources mentioned previously with MTG back and that was added by mistake even if I have verified out of uncut sheets pics that were available on the internet or by some collectors. Few days ago a very special sheet that was won at GP Rimini, Italy (August 12-14 2016) with pics was shown: Eldritch Moon Rare/Mythic Melt and Double Face cards Foil uncut sheet 11 x 11.

x10 Gisela, the Broken Blade
x10 Ulrich of the Krallenhorde

x20 Bruna, the Fading Light
x20 Docent of Perfection
x20 Hanweir Battlements
x20 Hanweir Garrison
x20 Voldaren Pariah

Front Sheet

Back Sheet

So, I did add the source as coming from Eldritch Moon Boosters, and did contact the owner to find out if that filler was the Non Foil Version or Foil Version. This morning, I've received closer pics of the filler (according to the owner it was not foil, but not easy to tell as the uncut sheet is framed) and I've noticed something different to the copy I own:

Close up of the front

Close up of the back

Yes, this is a Non Foil or Foil Black Border with Barcode/ Black Border Filler Card but with Holofoil Stamp. So now, it gets much more complicated to find the source of mine. As a reminder, there's 15 double-face cards and 6 meld cards (3 pairs)in Eldritch Moon.

DOUBLE FACE CARDS
Extricator of Sin (Uncommon White) / Extricator of Flesh (Uncommon Colorless)
Lone Rider (Uncommon White) / It That Rides as One (Uncommon Colorless)
Curious Homunculus (Uncommon Blue) / Voracious Reader (Uncommon Colorless)
Docent of Perfection (Rare Blue) / Final Iteration (Rare Colorless)
Grizzled Angler (Uncommon Blue) / Grisly Anglerfish (Uncommon Colorless)
Voldaren Pariah (Rare Black) /Abolisher of Bloodlines (Rare Colorless)
Conduit of Storms (Uncommon Red) / Conduit of Emrakul (Uncommon Colorless)
Smoldering Werewolf (Uncommon Red) / Erupting Dreadwolf (Uncommon Colorless)
Vildin-Pack Outcast (Common Red) / Dronepack Kindred (Common Colorless)
Kessig Prowler (Uncommon Green) / Sinuous Predator (Uncommon Colorless)
Shrill Howler (Uncommon Green) / Howling Chorus (Uncommon Colorless)
Tangleclaw Werewolf (Uncommon Green) / Fibrous Entangler (Uncommon Colorless)
Ulvenwald Captive (Common Green) / Ulvenwald Abomination (Common Colorless)
Ulrich of the Krallenhorde (Mythic Multicolor) / Ulrich, Uncontested Alpha (Mythic Colorless)
Cryptolith Fragment (Uncommon Artifact) / Aurora of Emrakul (Uncommon Colorless)

MELD CARDS
Graf Rats (Common Black) and Midnight Scavengers (Common Black) making Chittering Host (Common Colorless)
Bruna, the Fading Light (Rare White) and Gisela, the Broken Blade (Mythic Rare) making Brisela, Voice of Nightmare (Mythic Colorless)
Hanweir Battlements ( Rare Land) and Hanweir Garrison (Rare Red) making Hanweir, the Writhing Township (Rare Colorless)

Eldritch Moon sheets are 11 X 11 and at least 10 sheets exist:
Common Sheet: ?
Foil Common Sheet: ?
Uncommon Sheet: ?
Foil Uncommon sheet: ?
Rare/Mythic Sheet: No Filler
Foil Rare/Mythic Sheet: No Filler
Common/Uncommon sheet with Melt and Double faced cards: ?
Foil Common/Uncommon sheet with Melt and Double faced cards: ?
Rare/Mythic Sheet with Melt and Double faced cards: ?
Foil Rare/Mythic Sheet with Melt and Double faced cards: Non Foil or Foil Black Border with Barcode/ Black Border Filler Card with Holofoil Stamp.

So, I'm thinking that the Filler Black Border with Barcode/ Black Border Filler Card 008 (Non Foil without Holofoil Stamp) might come from the:

Rare/Mythic Sheet with Melt and Double faced cards but it should have also the Foil Oval stamp like the Foil sheet version.

Or from one of the other Non Foil sheets from Eldritch Moon ? Possibly from the Non Foil Common/Uncommon sheet with Melt and Double face cards ?

Or from another Non Foil sheets from another Extension ?

What do you guys are thinking ?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Re: New Filler Card Mystery about the source

Post by mmgun » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Logical conclusion: Its from the double Side/Melt UC or Common Sheet ( not sure, if these are on separate sheets)
We did encounter the same on the Modern Masters 2015 sheets, which had holo stamps on some of the fillers from the rare sheet.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:19 pm

mmgun wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:46 pm
Logical conclusion: Its from the double Side/Melt UC or Common Sheet ( not sure, if these are on separate sheets)
We did encounter the same on the Modern Masters 2015 sheets, which had holo stamps on some of the fillers from the rare sheet.
Yes, that seems the more logical, but I can't verify it for now as I don't find pics of the other Eldritch Moon sheets except those mentioned. Modern Masters was different as on the Foil Rare sheet, there was Fillers with Oval Stamp and fillers without it as shown in the Index of the Fillers subsection.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:44 pm

You might be able to rule some sheets out by looking at the rarity breakdowns and calculate if there was space for a filler or not. Maybe you already did.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:13 am

Neuron wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:44 pm
You might be able to rule some sheets out by looking at the rarity breakdowns and calculate if there was space for a filler or not. Maybe you already did.
Hi Ron

With older sets, that was indeed the way to do, but with recent sets things have changed, as they can either replace the space with fillers or extra cards now (example Modern Masters, etc.) and this for the same set. Eldritch Moon is also the first set with Meld cards as well as Double Face cards. As I don't collect any new sets or uncut sheets, and with the number of MTG products that are released, I only rely on info provided by people or pics that I can find on the internet, and most of the time they don't show back of sheets. The other Meld and Double Face cards Common /Uncommon cards sheet should contain the last 12 double face cards and the Common Meld Card normally but I have no idea of the pattern that was used. Now, something bothers me, is that apparently, they've used 2 different backs for the Eldritch Moon fillers: MTG Back and Black Border back. So, I need to check also where the Eldritch Moon MTG back filler cames from or if it was a wrong source. This will be the first time that 2 different fillers will be used for one extension since fillers exist.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:35 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:13 am
Neuron wrote:
Hi Ron

With older sets, that was indeed the way to do, but with recent sets things have changed, as they can either replace the space with fillers or extra cards now (example Modern Masters, etc.) and this for the same set. Eldritch Moon is also the first set with Meld cards as well as Double Face cards. As I don't collect any new sets or uncut sheets, and with the number of MTG products that are released, I only rely on info provided by people or pics that I can find on the internet, and most of the time they don't show back of sheets. The other Meld and Double Face cards Common /Uncommon cards sheet should contain the last 12 double face cards and the Common Meld Card normally but I have no idea of the pattern that was used. Now, something bothers me, is that apparently, they've used 2 different backs for the Eldritch Moon fillers: MTG Back and Black Border back. So, I need to check also where the Eldritch Moon MTG back filler cames from or if it was a wrong source. This will be the first time that 2 different fillers will be used for one extension since fillers exist.
Oh, I see everything becomes a bit more tricky these days. I can imagine that two different backs were used for the fillers, maybe different ones for cards printed in the USA, Japan and Belgium. By default, English boosters are printed in both Belgium and USA; Italian, French, German and Russian in Belgium; Japanese in Japan and the others in the USA.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:34 am

Neuron wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:35 pm
dragsamou wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:13 am
Neuron wrote:
Hi Ron

Oh, I see everything becomes a bit more tricky these days. I can imagine that two different backs were used for the fillers, maybe different ones for cards printed in the USA, Japan and Belgium. By default, English boosters are printed in both Belgium and USA; Italian, French, German and Russian in Belgium; Japanese in Japan and the others in the USA.
Hi Ron

I really don't think that the country were the sheets were printed has something to do with the 2 different back fillers, being logical, the only reason of the 2 different backs and this is the first time, is about coming from a sheet only made of Meld and Double Face cards, and it wasn't possible to have a MTG back on those specific sheets. Since the Rare/Mythic sheet of Eldritch Moon doesn't have a filler (see pics below), the only possibility can be from the Common/Uncommon sheets or if it exist from the Eldritch Moon Intro Pack sheet. There's also Eldritch Moon tokens, Emblems and Double-faced cards Checklist that are on specific sheets (How many ?).

Eldritch Moon Rare Mythic Foil Uncut Sheet Front

Eldritch Moon Rare Mythic Foil Uncut Sheet Back
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.