Ultimate List One - Official Tokens and Tip cards

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm

l0qii wrote:It's possible, and desirable from a marketing point of view, that cards with advertisements on the back follow a different release pattern than the sets themselves.

This would allow WotC to change ads mid-print cycle to coincide with new product announcements. This would also explain the overlap of some t/t cards into the next set.
First off, I have been hoping that Hammer7 would check in and possibly help us with some printing techie info about if plates need changing during the run of a set or if they last a whole set. I have always assumed they last a whole set but that is an Ass U Me only. Heck, I don't even know if they still use plates or if it is all done by computer or some such.

Not knowing that, my take on this is that they have been updating marketing info by only changing out a couple card backs to advertise the next set. I can't see them jumping into the middle of a print run to do that.

All the ‘tip’ cards pertain to the present set and may be duplicated in other expansions that contain that game mechanic, though; the design of the 'tip' card may change between expansions (i.e. Shadowmoor and Eventide 'Untap' tip cards). Whereas the backs on these same cards did not change (well, at least the single back common to the examples I gave did not change..LOL).
l0qii wrote:If this is the case, opening a case on release day is not going to be a good strategy for compiling a complete list of tips/tokens for that set.

Can we confirm one way or the other whether this has happened in past sets or not?
Well the "past" sets only cover the sets we are presently considering, 10th to present and they are the ones we are scratching our heads over.

I would not consider ruling out your premise but I can not support it. I think taking advantage of the pause in a print run to update marketing would run into to many Dilbert sandbags. I will go with the early product. If someone offers me a free case from the end of the print run I will be more than happy to compare them.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:43 am

Well folks, I've got some bad news...

I'm sitting here staring at a stack of tokens/tips that I know are from Shards of Alara yet they are printed on a different paper than all the other Shards of Alara token/tip cards I've got.

This paper is VERY white, whiter than the paper that Conflux tokens/tips are printed on. They stand out very clearly when viewed from the side in a stack of token/tip cards.

How do I know these are Alara tokens and not Conflux reprints? Well, they contain fronts and backs that are not seen in Conflux, such as Goblins and "Explore the Shards of Alara set" backs.

I think its just become more difficult to be able to differentiate between Shards and Conflux for the few front/back combos that are shared between the two sets.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 am

So Shards had two different card stocks used?

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 am

There does appear to be a new card stock for Shards of Alara. I wish I took a photo of the stack of cards from the side. The difference is very clear.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:59 pm

aleksandr wrote:There does appear to be a new card stock for Shards of Alara. I wish I took a photo of the stack of cards from the side. The difference is very clear.
Clarification first.

This then makes 2 card stocks in Shards and 2 in Conflux?

Is the new paper limited to t/t cards?

I think you already answered some of this but I want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

The questions I have are: Are there any differences in the card combos on regular type of Shards paper and the new white type?

Have you found any combos that change our present analysis of printed combos?

If the paper is that different it may be a help and not a hindrance. After starting to use the 'paper test' I have noticed several shades in the different sets. It seems a variety of stock has been used.

If you have any duplicates I would sure like to have a couple so I could use them for comparisons.

Gary

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:47 pm

There are no new combos that I have seen. I sent you the latest copy of the spreadsheet last night, but I have not found anything new in Shards or Conflux.

The stack I was looking at was bound for my overflow boxes of tokens/tips. I only looked at t/t cards. I have not looked at any actual cards.

The problem at this point would be trying to find and pull out these new "whiter" paper stock t/t from the rest as I store my overflow in order based on token and tip fronts.

I will make an attempt to pull some of these newer card stock t/t out of my boxes tonight and take a picture of them in comparison with older shards and the conflux paper.

One question I have for you--I notice you said something about two types of paper on Conflux...I'm not aware of this, can you provide more details?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:23 pm

aleksandr wrote:I will make an attempt to pull some of these newer card stock t/t out of my boxes tonight and take a picture of them in comparison with older shards and the conflux paper.
No biggie and no rush. I leave for Annecy in the morning and won't be back till Monday (unless captured by some young French lady--then who knows....LOL God, for my younger days......).
aleksandr wrote:One question I have for you--I notice you said something about two types of paper on Conflux...I'm not aware of this, can you provide more details?
As I reread that, it wasn't very clear was it. I ment, in Conflux we see two kinds of paper--one, regular card stock and the other, a non-card stock, used on t/t cards. We were using this difference to distinguish between Conflux t/t cards and Shards t/t cards. Now you have discovered an additional, non-card stock, paper for the t/t cards for Shards. Your observation is that this will complicate our distinction of Soldier/Zombie/Saporling tokens with Score/Tap on the back.
But I also understood that the new find is much lighter than the paper used for t/t cards in Conflux or did you mean it was only lighter than the card stock in Shards. As I read back I see I may have read something into your statment.

OBTW do NOT even look at my Shadowmore/Eventide sheets that I sent. I have completly revised them based on Mister Foilcards sheets and some things I have found--they are trash. I was greatly mislead by the sheets on gamerzevents.

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:40 pm

I was greatly mislead by the sheets on gamerzevents.
When I created my list, I used some parts of hese sheets and I found out some mistakes. As you can see in my wish list I have a lot of the Tokens from these sheets, so I was able to correct some issues.
But I'm not sure that I found everything.
Currently I'm trying to find a dealer in Germany who can sell me complete global sets of English Alara Reborn. For the German sets I have such a dealer already, so I think starting from Alara Reborn the German sheet will be ok.

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:16 pm

But I also understood that the new find is much lighter than the paper used for t/t cards in Conflux or did you mean it was only lighter than the card stock in Shards. As I read back I see I may have read something into your statment.
It is lighter than the card stock in Shards. If I remember correctly (I'm at work so cannot verify) the card stock in Conflux (remember we are only talking t/t here) has a sort of mottled blue-ish tinge, while shards had a more uniform grey. This new stock is a very uniform whiteish grey.
OBTW do NOT even look at my Shadowmore/Eventide sheets that I sent. I have completly revised them based on Mister Foilcards sheets and some things I have found--they are trash. I was greatly mislead by the sheets on gamerzevents.
Don't worry, I didn't get past Morningtide. I think you'll like my updates though--I started adding notes fields in to explain some of the strangeness.

I've also got a rather large # of cards to send you. I'll send the package this week--you should have it by the time you get back from France.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:13 am

aleksandr wrote: I've also got a rather large # of cards to send you. I'll send the package this week--you should have it by the time you get back from France.
Great, love it. I just got 216 (a complete case) of Conflux t/t cards today. Even found a new combo. Sent you my sheets and have 8 cards for you. I don't think I can get them out before I leave (depart CS at 0545 to be at Denver airport on time). But will send them as soon as I get back from France.

Bad news, though. My friend that will give me the two cases of Reborn t/t cards will be gone until 20+ May so I will not be able to start on those until then.

Gary

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:08 pm

As promised, here is an actual version. This version contains some corrections and some new Spanish and Italian sets.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gmjhydytkmt

Enjoy

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:19 am

And the actual wish list:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hrzojjtjgt2

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue May 05, 2009 5:49 pm

For those interested in the t/t cards from Alara Reborn in French here is some data for you.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5yuewjjdjjl

While at Annecy I had the opportunity to go through 979 French t/t cards from Alara Reborn (with a BIG thanks fot Jamesbond).
This is what I found.

Gary

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Tue May 05, 2009 6:05 pm

Very cool Gary. If you've got extras I'd love to have some for my collection.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue May 05, 2009 6:20 pm

aleksandr wrote:Very cool Gary. If you've got extras I'd love to have some for my collection.
I felt quite privilaged at the generosity of Jamesbond and his shop to be able to get away with, what I though was, a complets set and did not ask for more (I think in focusing on the backs some of the rule 2 and rule 3 cards got intermixed but I have no idea if I have all of one, all of both or if neither one is complete- :-\ #-o ).

Contact him, I am more than sure he will cut you a deal.

Gary