Pretty cool find!

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

random
Librarities Legend

Pretty cool find!

Post by random » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:42 am

I mostly collect art, you can see a small portion of my collection on this linky

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8825

This is all TSR art so you older guys will much appreciate what I put together :wink:
Anyhoo... I usually buy a shitload of stuff. MTG stuff isn't what I'm into anymore, the players generally annoy me and I think WOTC is pretty lame nowdays but that's another topic for another day.
So anyways... I pick up a whole bunch of TSR art here and there and I run into this piece.
Now if you already looked at my link you'll see maybe one of the bigger fantasy art collections... fortunately I have a good eye :wink: Take a look again at that piece and think about what kinda sorta sticks out... So, I decided to investigate that source of art further... I go through hundreds and hundreds of drawings, TSR related, and then run across this one.
"Well fuck, that's the Cockatrice!" I say to myself. So I'm going through more and more and you'd never guess what I come across next :-O :-O
Last edited by random on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:46 am

Oh yeah, funny thing is, this was all done for TSR! Some of the art for the biggest cards in MTG existence were originally done for TSR (IRONY OF IRONIES). At least 5 of them were.
Cheers!

-Kev

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Wow pretty cool.

It looks like she is wearing a Mox Jet (not exact but close)

The B&W Cockatrice looks awesome... Was that ever used in an early edition Monster Manual?

And you left us hangin with your "Youd never guess what I come across next" line...

PS: Your collection is amazing - Gratz

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:58 pm

The B&W Cockatrice looks awesome... Was that ever used in an early edition Monster Manual?
I'm unsure. It's a very large and detailed drawing, Pre-MTG, and titled "Death" with page # 44/45 written in the corner. This appears to be the drawing that turned into Cockatrice, the MTG Alpha card, no? Dan did a lot of "extras" for TSR so that they would have some to choose from. I was thinking that it's possible that this was a piece rejected by the TSR art director and then down the road Dan re-uses it for a budding WOTC that is needing lots of cheap artwork :wink:

Dan did a lot of art for some TSR modules/boxed sets such as Elves of Evermeet, Labyrinth of Madness, Cormyr... lots of cool stuff. He also did a bunch of pieces for the "Book of Artifacts". This book focuses on a lot of magic items, crowns, wands, weapons, rings, brooches...

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Pretty cool find!

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:44 pm

random wrote: MTG stuff isn't what I'm into anymore, the players generally annoy me and I think WOTC is pretty lame nowdays but that's another topic for another day.
To maybe hasten that day along a bit <sly grin>. Try Planechase--really. It is not lame and those players that most annoied you (and me) won't touch it.

Gary

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:43 am

To maybe hasten that day along a bit <sly grin>.
I totally thought you were going to ask me to break out some pictures of original Mox drawings Gary! Have it your way though;) I'll give Planechase a try and get back to this thread in a few days. I haven't played with physical cards in ages.

Cheers!

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:41 am

More preliminary sketches by Dan Frazier. I don't know which cards a lot of them are for. Some I do and I will put a blurb denoting the card. These were taken at dusk so the pic quality is lacking... Looking to unload a few of these as well via cash or trade.
Rhystic Tutor

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:44 am

Looks like Disrupting Scepter :wink:
This was for an Ice Age card at some point, here's the back.
Maybe a Spellfire card?

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:46 am

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:49 am

Arrest
Lunge

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:51 am