False Cards

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

magicevolution
Librarities Legend

False Cards

Post by magicevolution » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Recently, i detected a big number of false cards, differents sets (Scar, Darksteel, Innistrad) but only hot cards (snapcaster, ravager, cenobite Darksick Shores..)

Normally, the image is more difuse that the original

in my web you can see images and read ( in spanish sorry) about this.

http://noticias.magicevolution.com/2012 ... sificadas/

If anyone need more details contact with me

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Interesting. What is the source of them? Have you torn any in half to check out the material they are printed on?

Sorry if those questions were answered in the article, my 1 year of high school spanish isn't helping me here, heh.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 am

Thanks for the info ... how do you make sure that those cards are fake ones, and not quality error from wizard's factory ?

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Humm, quite interesting and the result of very careful observation.

If they are really from CM (which wizards does not own) they should pass the bend test and it would be worth it to see what is inside them. If they pass both of these tests they are probably not fakes.

(I only had two months of HS Spanish--the girl in the class that I was hot for brushed me off so I took woodworking)

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Ram-Gang
Librarities Member

Post by Ram-Gang » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:05 pm

I just used Chrome with the translator extension that is 90% with just some bad grammar.

-Travis

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Those look really good. Wizards had better shut down whoever's making this, and they had better do it quickly.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Those look really good. Wizards had better shut down whoever's making this, and they had better do it quickly.
Has it been determined that they really are counterfit and not just a bad print job? I guess if none of the crap rares show up like that one might be safe in assuming they were made up.

There were a bunch of high quality fake cards put out some time ago and one of the telling things about them was the print area was just a smiggin smaller than the real card (like useing a micrometer on them).

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:55 pm

According to the given refund, its a real issue.
Other german players confirmed it already, but no exact way how to identify the cards is given yet.

http://www.magiccardmarket.eu/blog/?p=1808

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm

This issue has been around for years (off and on). Back around Revised there was a Canadian group using a full offset print house to counterfeit the power cards from Beta and Unlimited, along with things like Gauntlet of Might and Cyclopean Tomb. I think a small mix of Arabian cards as well...

Not sure it is possible to tell them from the real cards, but it is one reason I suspect there are probably as many fake Beta Black Lotus out there as real - but we just can't tell them apart. Which means there are twice as many power as we think! :-) (I take the stance of "If the fake is as real as a real, then it is real.")

But I stopped collecting power some time in there because of this.

So now people are doing it again. Not surprising. Depressing, but not surprising.

Best regards,

Rainsford

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:33 am

I can add some info on at least one Canadian group from the mid-to-late 90's. The group apparently included Canadians and Americans and operated around Lake Ontario, on both sides of the borders. It was prevalent enough in upstate NY that Wizards got the FBI involved, and the group members supposedly fled to Canada.

I had a bunch of the Unlimited cards shortly after they came out, but never saw any Beta in the same lot or even from the same group. The cards were excellent reproductions in almost every aspect, and to this day were probably the best I have ever seen. Many rumors had them originating out of the R&D labs of either Kodak or Xerox. The one problem the cards did have was with the card stock. The weight and feel were fine, but the stock didn't have the blue layer, and as a result the fakes aren't quite as transparent as real cards under the light test.

There were two "versions" and both managed to fool quite a number of big dealers and so-called "experts". Other than the light test, it took a pretty powerful microscope or magnifying glass to see any difference. Back when you could do such things, I contacted dozens of Ebay winners to warn them, after they had won some, when large lots of these cards would be offered.

magicevolution
Librarities Legend

Post by magicevolution » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:41 pm

More information for detect these cards (in spanish, sorry):
but you can see the test of weight, of light.....

http://launiversidaddelasartesludicas.b ... nes-y.html

These cards (only in english) , made in Singapur. the person that sell these cards is in ebay: cyf181818 (now like joaquin9623)

http://feedback.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... world=true[/url]