Under and Overfilled Booster Opening on YouTube

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Under and Overfilled Booster Opening on YouTube

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:06 am

YouTube video of an opening of two Ice Age Boosters.

One really fat pack and one really skinny pack.

Everyone involved knew they were worth more sealed but decided to open it anyway, just to see what was inside...

*******SPOILER ALERT********

It was Ice Age cards.

Anyway, it was on the Misprint Guy's channel and was sent in by someone who knew he collected misprints so I guess they referred to the boosters as misprints to keep it in with the theme of the show.

But the boosters weren't misprinted, just badly filled.

Anyway, here is the video, all props to the Misprint guy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZapV9B ... e=youtu.be

And here are some actual misprinted boosters which were kindly sourced for me by a member of this site.

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:19 am

I saw the entire thing of Facebook. It felt like cutting down a Black Lotus in a half to check the blue line. I mean, the boosters were super cool, it is a pity they were open, that a rarity like that dissapears. We could have even told the number of cards in the pack just by weighing it. But well, that just as he said, he was told to open them anyway, I don't think he completely loved doing it, but he can tell us what he felt doing that.

For example. A day that I was not working at my store, Duel Decks: Elspeth Vs Tezzeret came to be released to the public. One of them contained two visible Elspeths in the fronts. My boss opened them to check if a double Elspeth deck was there or something. I cried. The result was a kind of valuable item while it was sealed, into regular single cards.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:51 am

I didn't see the first Facebook post so I didn't realise until later that it had been donated specifically so that it could be opened on video.

Not sure what price you would put on that pair.

I would have been happy to pay around $70 per booster and probably about $150 for the pair. I am sure there would be many people who would pay more than that.

I wonder if we will see anyone trying to make fakes of these...

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Under and Overfilled Booster Opening on YouTube

Post by dragsamou » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:33 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote: Anyway, it was on the Misprint Guy's channel
One of the very first Members of Magiclibrarities since it exists :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 pm

These boosters looked cool, like Laurel and Hardy. I'm sad that they have been opened. To my mind, it was neither useful nor nessessary.

I wonder what the previous owner thought when he decided to "force" the misprint guy to do that. "Just for fun" seems a bit cardboard, a simple show-up with a bit of weightening would have had the same effect.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:13 am

Neuron wrote:These boosters looked cool, like Laurel and Hardy. I'm sad that they have been opened. To my mind, it was neither useful nor nessessary.

I wonder what the previous owner thought when he decided to "force" the misprint guy to do that. "Just for fun" seems a bit cardboard, a simple show-up with a bit of weightening would have had the same effect.
As a collector of those kind of booster, I felt the same, it was just the wish of the original owner that gave them for free, that wanted a Youtube show...And it was a real boring one.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:54 pm

I too was sad to see them opened. :'-(

I also have one of those misprinted avacyn boosters, but not in the sealed box like yours. I wonder how many boosters are out there like that...

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:09 pm

TheJGit wrote:I too was sad to see them opened. :'-(

I also have one of those misprinted avacyn boosters, but not in the sealed box like yours. I wonder how many boosters are out there like that...
Well six we know of!

No idea how many.

If the foil packets are on a roll and there is one picture per roll then I am sure we would have seen more as there would have been five rolls.

If all five pictures are on the same roll then maybe only one roll was affected and there is a good chance that some were picked up by Quality Control.

I haven't come across any more of them.

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Post by Alifromcairo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:22 pm

Cutting Beta sheets with an axe, opening misfilled booster packs and so on...

These days madness is in the air yeaaahhh \:D/ ](*,)
Visit the Shores of Imagination

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Madness is a kind term. I think someone was hoping for something inside that they could really brag about--all MR or some such trash.

Well, it can not be redone, we can just hope that this does not repeat itself.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:23 am

Yes, I offered to buy them, told him of others who were interested in buying them... but he simply had them for 20 years and always wanted to know what was in them. He was telling me he didn't care and wanted to know what was inside. All rares? All commons? He was willing to share their existence and contents. In fact, he PAID money to ship them to me. So sure, was I thrilled? Nope, but hey. I've got some screwed up packs myself, and would gladly have had more. Now I have a sad stack of Ice Age junk.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:35 am

I have a mis-packed booster myself and I am really tempted to open it.

It is a very odd booster, advertised as unique but I have two of them and a third is up on ebay.

The booster is the same size and shape as the Japanese 'Hanger" boosters and it even has the hole stamped into it.

It has maybe 4-5 cards in it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Apocalypse- ... 1887857239

the official story is
MTG Apocalypse Error Misprint Test booster pack.

This is a really cool Magic rarity.

This 'one of a kind' came to be at the card printer, when the booster machine was getting synced up with the cards/foil to cut and seal. These were always all thrown out by the Quality Control QC person. Contains cards... but not 15 cards thick.

Former WOTC Employee purchase.

Please see pictures.

Free Shipping!
So maybe it is the start of a print run, getting everything synched up and you discard the first couple of boosters. But if that is the case, where are all the others? There have been many print runs from many expansions and the three I have seen have all been Apocalypse...

And if it was a WOTC Employee purchase, did they go on a trip to the card printers, meet the QC guy and pick up half a dozen of the packs. Or does the seller equate the Carta Mundi staff as being WotC staff?

I have a couple of other theories.

It is a demonstration booster, maybe for when they were trying to come up with a new style of booster (I could Google it to find out when the Japanese Hanger style came out) to show to the executives in the company. So for a quick mock up they got some of the boosters already in production and ran it through the machine that makes the other style boosters for a different company. In which case they probably just grabbed a bunch of cards to stick in it.

Which cards though?

A couple off the top of the stack; so a normal random distribution of Apocalypse?
A stack of cards before they are sorted, so maybe a handful off the rares stack?
Some spare cards they were playing with during their breaks?
or something off the Quality Control pile, something that was not good enough to go in a booster, some misprints?
Or some waste cards, like the fillers that were pulled out of the sheets?

Either way it would be good to know.

Another option is a genuine error, the wrong machine or setting was used, a bunch were churned out before it was noticed and they were meant to be destroyed but someone saved them. This could cause all sorts of errors in filling the boosters, so I would expect the normal random assortment of Apocalypse but maybe one booster would have the rares and uncommons and the other would have the commons.

Or someone in the factory is making these themselves for a bit of pocket money as a misprint, so they stuff a few Apocalypse cards at random into the booster.

Or someone got hold of a roll of the booster wrappers (possibly they work in the factory or at the printers) and they got hold of a booster sealer from a different company and put them together along with a handful of assorted common cards from any expansion they had to hand.

I like the first theory but it all depends on when the Japanese switched booster styles. I will say that I do not believe the person selling these has done anything fraudulent, they may have picked up some and have been slowly releasing them onto eBay to keep the prices high. I am not sure if there is only one person selling these as they auctions are few and far between. I think if they are trying to do something fraudulent they are taking their time over it unless they are selling lots elsewhere.

I would very much like to find out one way or the other.

Not sure if I want to open up a $74 booster to get a bunch of common cards but even that would give a clue as to the origin of this booster...

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:03 am

Buy the eBay one and have it opened on video.

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:37 am

The chances that a special booster contains anything else than regular cards have to be very low.
Since that has to be obvious I don't really get why anyone would throw away 200 bucks.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:00 am

cataclysm80 wrote:Buy the eBay one and have it opened on video.
If the Aussie Dollar wasn't doing so badly and I had a video recorder and a YouTube account I probably would.

As it is I have two boosters so I will most likely either trade the other one or open it, and if I open it I will make every attempt to record the opening and let people know the contents.

If it turns out to be filler cards or misprints I would expect the prices to increase on my still sealed booster. If it turned out to be a genuine error then the prices would probably stay the same. Any other outcome would mean the prices and the value of the booster for a collection would reduce to zero.