Starting a global project - need language chart for each set

Personal offers and search inquiries about regularly purchasable standard Magic products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Starting a global project - need language chart for each set

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:10 am

the Magic Card Lists page is helpful for everything released up through the Kamigawa block; therefore, anything released after the Kamigawa block is absent.

I know some members are keeping track of SKU's for all product as it is released. is there any intent to do a massive update of the Card Lists page sooner or later? or does anyone have a link to another web page with info on what sets have been released in which language (to determine what is needed to do a global set)?

I also looked, but sadly, the Wizards website was absolutely no help :-( go figure.

and before anyone asks, I am pretty sure about what I want to go global on right now, but I don't intend to mention it just yet. I just need to make sure something resolves first before I actually launch the project.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:08 pm

You can use http://apathyhouse.com/codes/ for many of the product codes for newer sets, although this list is also incomplete. There is nobody on this list that I know of that has a more complete list.

You probably don't need this information to make a global set though, you just need a checklist of the card you are going to collect.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 am

you are correct, I don't actually need the product codes to create a global collection. sorry, I meant for that comment to be a side note. I take it updating the product codes list is something no one is jumping at the opportunity to do right now?

so, as what I was hoping this topic would head to, could a chart be made, with ALL product releases on it, of what language(s) that item is released in? I kinda already have something started with an excel file, but it isn't really pretty.

As always, I'm kinda in need of help, so any is appreciated.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:00 am

I'm perfectly willing to maintain a list of all the codes, the problem has always been finding a volunteer from each country to regularly provide code updates when new products are released.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:42 pm

l0qii wrote:I'm perfectly willing to maintain a list of all the codes, the problem has always been finding a volunteer from each country to regularly provide code updates when new products are released.
Which reminds me, did you ever get all the codes for Planechase and Archemeny. I remember you asked while I was in Korea and I could only give you the one I had with me.

Gary

axcel
Librarities Member

Re: Starting a global project - need language chart for each

Post by axcel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:the Magic Card Lists page is helpful for everything released up through the Kamigawa block; therefore, anything released after the Kamigawa block is absent.
Regular sets published after Kamigawa are pretty straight-forward. Starting with Ninth, Russian was added and starting with M11, Traditional Chinese is back.

Special publications available globally are, I think, only in English unless stated otherwise somewhere on mtg.com (for example, languages of Elspeth vs Tezz were announced when the product was presented in Arcana). There's not general rule for the promos, though. Some are localized and some are not, and also there are sometimes difficult to track local promotions... (most of them Japanese :P)
On the other hand, this site is more or less up to date with info on promo cards.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 pm

I don't believe I've seen a T-Chinese M11 card next to a S-Chinese M11 card could anyone help me with this so I'm able to differentiate them. Thank you.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Magic61983 wrote:I don't believe I've seen a T-Chinese M11 card next to a S-Chinese M11 card could anyone help me with this so I'm able to differentiate them. Thank you.
I was under the impression that only Simplified Chinese is produced these days.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 pm

caquaa wrote:
Magic61983 wrote:I don't believe I've seen a T-Chinese M11 card next to a S-Chinese M11 card could anyone help me with this so I'm able to differentiate them. Thank you.
I was under the impression that only Simplified Chinese is produced these days.
T-Chinese came back with M11

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:18 pm

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... er/060910a

T-C in the top middle I believe. You can tell by the complexity of the characters, and also the location of the commas/periods (SC has them at the bottom, TC somewhere in the middle).

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:29 am

Hrm, was t-Chinese stopped then started? or has it been going the whole time? I forget where I was referencing my thoughts from. I know my island checklist stops t-Chinese some time back.

willard507
Librarities Hero

Post by willard507 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 am

caquaa wrote:Hrm, was t-Chinese stopped then started? or has it been going the whole time? I forget where I was referencing my thoughts from. I know my island checklist stops t-Chinese some time back.
Your checklist is missing a few islands...
I'm looking for odd/rare Mind Twists.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:26 am

willard507 wrote:
caquaa wrote:Hrm, was t-Chinese stopped then started? or has it been going the whole time? I forget where I was referencing my thoughts from. I know my island checklist stops t-Chinese some time back.
Your checklist is missing a few islands...
doh, lol. Well then! Stupid project, but its fun to find out the variants. I need to start getting contacts in other countries for them, but atm trade is more likely then buying unfortunately.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes, it was stopped and then restarted.