Looking for 5 (old/vintage) sealed boosters

Personal offers and search inquiries about regularly purchasable standard Magic products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Looking for 5 (old/vintage) sealed boosters

Post by Knutsen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 am

Hi guys,

I know many of you around are storing some of the old stuff - maybe anyone can help me with my search. :-D

As for some nostalgic reasons I'm looking for these 5 boosters. One of each, all english and all original sealed.

- Revised
- Arabian Nights
- Antiquities
- Legends
- The Dark

These where the sets/expansions forming my mind of/look at Magic in the past (and of course the memory), when we started playing. Unfortunately I never stored sealed boosters, but now I want to have these 5 in my collection - yes, just call me sentimental. :wink:

Because I want to avoid any of those scanned, resealed or repacked sellers, I hope of any of you, having some of them in the closet or cellar.

I would be happy to get some PM and/or offers - thanks!

Greetings

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:24 am

I have some spare old Dark but they came from eBay so I assume they have all been searched at some stage. I am sure others have better but if you get stuck just let me know.

Shame you didn't start at fallen empires / homelands, no problems!

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Hello, I have maybe 1 or 2 Antiquities sealed booster packs left.

I bought about a dozen or so on Ebay from a reputable seller a few years ago, opened one (pulled out The Rack as rare >:-( ) and sold some others.

I know a Winter Factory was pulled out from 1 of the packs, so probably these hadn't in fact been searched (they certainly weren't by me, I wouldn't know how to do that without seriously damaging the pack itself)

PM me with an offer if you're interested.

ende73

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

I want to avoid any of those scanned
How you will know if they have been scanned of not ?
And it doensn't matter is they stay sealed :)

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:00 pm

@ GlobalBoosterHunter: Right - I could save money when I just had started at FE or IE - but I don't know if I then would have become so addicted to the game. :)

@ yvel: You're right, you never will now if they where scanned (except if the boosterwrap itself looks like it at the backside), but I think/hope I could trust more people here than at eBay. ;)

And yes, they are intended to stay sealed - just nice to have them. :-P

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 pm

yvel wrote:
I want to avoid any of those scanned
How you will know if they have been scanned of not ?
And it doensn't matter is they stay sealed :)
I could not agree more.

A sealed booster is a sealed booster, whatever is inside. It's the pleasure to have it, though the first editions were not so sexy...

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:44 pm

I have a Legends pack I could part with. PM me if interested.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:10 pm

I have an English revised booster that I can say, without a doubt, is unsearched because I opened the box myself and simply don't care about individual cards in English...;-)

I am in the middle of moving tho, and won't be unpacking for several weeks (at least). So if someone gets to you faster, by all means take their offer..;-)
He's just this guy, ya know?

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 am

Heresy!

There are a number of reasons why unsearched are better in my opinion...
  • Generally, searching leaves marks on a booster, usually most noticable around the corners. As a collector I want the boosters to be in the best possible condition. I also have a nail ding on a card from when I was practicing searching.

If the booster has been searched and left unopened this is a good indication that whatever is within is not of particular value nor is it particularly desirable.

If the booster is searched and the rare is known then it is unlikely that the booster will be worth much more than the cost of the rare.

I have a searched booster with 'Clockwork Avian' as the rare, would you rather buy that or buy an unsearched one with the possibility that you might get a Dual Land?

Not knowing what is in the booster is loads of fun, like wondering what you will speend the money on if you win the lottery. A booster is a lottery card, if you know you have a losing ticket would you be excited to be in the draw?

Unless my wife honours my final wishes and buries me with my magic cards I am at some stage going to need to sell the collection, I won't lie and tell someone that a searched booster is unsearched and the "unsearched by me" disclaimer knocks $$$ off the price. Some buyers want to open the boosters and get the cards (despite it usually being cheaper to buy the singles)
My Antiquities and Legends boosters were shipped to me crammed into a hard plastic deck box designed to hold cards without sleeves, needless to say the corners are destroyed and the seller refused to take them back because they could have been searched. To my mind these now need to be upgraded to mint boosters and I will have the trouble of trying to convince someone that my unsearched boosters are actually unsearched despite the damage to the corners.

Of course if I don't know it is searched and there is no evidence of tampering I am happy. Of course buying left over boosters from a box which has been mapped is no better but at least there is no damage to the pack and you might still get a foil rare.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 am

This explanation definitely makes sense. You convinced me totally.

Thanks !

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Global I would agree but I have an Arabian pack that has a Library that you can see without much trouble through the front of the pack. In this case I like knowing what's in the booster and being able to show others is half the fun.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Magic61983 wrote:Global I would agree but I have an Arabian pack that has a Library that you can see without much trouble through the front of the pack. In this case I like knowing what's in the booster and being able to show others is half the fun.
Well in that particular instance...

Being able to see a top card would probably enhance the pleasure and certainly wouldn't hurt the resale value!

I have no idea what is in my Arabian Nights, would I value my booster higher? Probably not, I would take a known Library over a possible jank rare any day of the week!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:52 pm

I once overpaid for a searched Legends booster because I knew it had a Mirror Universe in it. The current Legends booster in my sealed collection has a Chains of Mephistopheles and Underworld Dreams in it. The rest of the old boosters in my collection are unsearched, but I like knowing this one.