Strut your Stuff Collectors

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:32 am

agzz wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:Anyone out there know what "illusionary upkeep" is? I sure don't.
Gary, "Cumulative Upkeep" ? ;)
Thats my best guess too but I was wondering if another mechanic had been mentioned someplace. Illusionary and cumulative just don't go together for me but that may be my problem.

Gary

Kalle
Librarities Legend

Post by Kalle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:54 am

Yes, illusionary upkeep does not exist in actual cards.
I guess it was the first name for cumulative upkeep.
Kalle, Il
Italian collector, player and judge

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Here is another block. Obviously many of the names have been changed along the way. It looks like one of them was changing in the midst of play testing-note the Tinderwall rules text. One thing for sure Meteor Strike was certainly a simpler "fireball"....LOL.

Oh, BTW, just in case someone might get funny ideas about duplicating these play test cards, for the record the actual cards are not the same size as Magic cards and these images are not their true size. I made the image page size on purpose.

Gary

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:16 am

Hey, just started digging through some old posts & of course stumbled upon some alpha playtest stuff.

Anyhow, to answer a question that's a couple of years old: There is nothing called "illusionary upkeep." It seems like it's a bit of a typo, but it should be more like "illusionary's upkeep is." So, in other words, it is telling you to pay one blue per upkeep. Nothing weird or unusual!

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:03 pm

fvzappa wrote:Anyhow, to answer a question that's a couple of years old: There is nothing called "illusionary upkeep." It seems like it's a bit of a typo, but it should be more like "illusionary's upkeep is." So, in other words, it is telling you to pay one blue per upkeep. Nothing weird or unusual!
Good point as typo's were not that important at that time. Kalle's take on this, however, may be true. This effect is pretty powerful and Ice Age concepts were being developed quite early. For sure, your guess is probably better than mine.

In any case, I think you ment 2 colorless instead of one blue.

I should dig out some more of these and put them up.

Gary

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Ah, yes. Was remembering Illusionary Forces' upkeep, not Illusionary Terrain's.

I dug up both cards (Terrain/ Forces). I'm pretty sure that this is just a typo, since my version is not just like yours & is worded more correctly based on it's official printing in Alpha. Here's how my Illusionary Terrain is worded-

Illusionary Terrain UU/2
Enchantment
{photocopied artwork from magazine}
Change land type to one of your choice- pay 2 mana during upkeep or discard. You may not change the illusion from turn to turn.

This version is the traditional "gamma" version of the playtest cards that Wizards will show off once & a while. So far as I know, it's the last version of these cards before they were printed. It was shortly afterwards that they started on Ice Age :)