Arena Mis-cuts 4 Corner

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Arena Mis-cuts 4 Corner

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Just when I thought the worse puzzles ever were those 9 block swimming fish things, I uncovered these:

My head is sore and the wall is cracked....

Please make a great offer for my friend before he has me try and think up a pitch to post them on "you know where".

HELP!

Gary

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 am

Holy Shit. :-O
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 am

Considering that those cards are all from the same sheet, I'm guessing that someone just cut up one of the Arena sheets shown here:

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p292816.html

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:36 am

Awwww......

That was amazing... until it wasn't!

The corners look pretty well done though.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:28 am

:'-(
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:16 am

I have seen square-cut Arena cards that were cut from a sheet, so I would assume those were made the same way.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:37 am

psrex wrote:Considering that those cards are all from the same sheet, I'm guessing that someone just cut up one of the Arena sheets shown here:

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p292816.html
Interesting;

Why do you think they were cut from the same sheet? There are two things I see among them that make me think they are from different sheets.

Gary

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:28 am

It may be that more than one sheet was cut up, but clearly they were not cut from a sheet by a factory process since the cuts are all different. Would have been more believable if there were a stack like that all cut the same way.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:32 am

still cool looking :)

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 am

I'm with Ben/ Gunslinga- there are a lot of square cornered hand cut ones out there... these too would have to be hand cut.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:17 pm

They are most certainly from a hand cut sheet. The counterspell and incinerate were legends membership promos while disenchant and fireball were arena promos, so they would have been separated on wotc's end somewhere along the way and likely caught in quality control but most certainly not sent to the same place for them to be reassembled if they weren't caught in quality control.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:28 pm

I would direct your attention to this thread and comment from a few years ago, when Arena sheets were pretty easy to find

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 5156#45156

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Well I asked for help and you all have really pulled through. I greatly appreciate it.

I greatly value the opinions of board members as you have proven time and again that your experience has tremendous value. I wasn't playing any games here as I really needed help and you gave it.

Even before posting I had serious doubts that this was a factory job and still do.

It it was a factory job my assertions and {observations} are:

1) There would be some connecting cards. {None of them connect vertically or horizontally}.
2) There would have been consistency in the alignment of at least some of the cards. {I only found two that appear to possibly be aligned. This is much more easily done from the backs of the cards, an advantage I had.}.
3) The "empty space" between cuts should be at least a card width or length. {In the vertical dimension there is not enough space to fit a card between the top rows and still get as much of the card as we have remaining}.
4) The skews of the cards should be the same. {cards that should be very close on the sheet are skewed in opposite directions while others are quite straight}.

A possible conclusion from the third and fourth assertions is that more than one sheet is involved.

Big thanks to psrex for the link to the sheet picture. It has helped tremendously.

The sorting argument is interesting but week in the aspect that if they were factory cut, they also could be factory stolen and never reached WotC.

IN conclusion: You have provided me with enough expertise that I think I can convince my friend they are not a factory job and therefore should not be auctioned or at least auctioned with appropriate specifications.

Gary

Hummm. that Counterspell/Disenchant would sure work nice in my EDH.....
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:10 pm

LOL, now after reading the link lOqii supplied I wonder if these are some of Gryfalia's experiements................ JK ol buddy.

Gary