backing cards

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

backing cards

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:51 pm

I really don't know what to call them but I started picking these up when I noticed there were different numbers on some.

If any of you have any I don't have here and would be willing to part with them please drop me a line.

I noticed that the most recent one I got has EN in the upper corner. Does that mean these are being printed in different languages now or just that the cards in the packet are in a different language?

Thanks

Gary
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:32 am

Well Japan also has 6 packs and Spain brought out some for the base set.

I haven't heard of any of these having Security tags in them but if the Spanish ones do get Security tags I would be surprised if they were only in Spanish, being part of Europe I would have thought they would be plastered in different languages as some sort of EU requirement.

(Cider bought in an English supermarket has Greek writing on it, when I went to Greece no one had heard of cider and none of the shops or pubs sold it, but they are part of Europe so it is important that that it is labelled in Greek, just in case a Greek tourist in London accidently picks up a can and doesn't know what is in it)

The Canadian versions may also have French writing on them but I haven't opened any of them.

You definately need to find a name for them though.

And see if you can get wizards to print them with a normal back, they would make good proxies.

It will be interesting to see how these evolve. The first one you posted was just a white card from what I remember. Now they have some plain text advertising on them, who knows what they will have on them later, I am guessing some more adverts with pictures, they may even make the leap into colour. (How about a 'golden redemption" or coupon?)

If you get lots of duplicates please let me know, this would make an interesting addition to the Booster collection but fortunately there is no need to collect them all.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:40 am

Humm, I didn't word that very well.

These are the "backing" cards for the promo cards that WotC sends out for pre-releases/Game days/FNM/Gateway/etc. etc. Only that one card with the security strip is from a 6-pack and probably shouldn't even be in with the rest of these.

for example:
Slave of Bolas and Marisi's Twinclaws came with the almost blank back in the upper left corner.

Path to Exile (Gateway) and Myr Enforcer (FNM) came with "SD83331"

Leatherback Baloth (Gateway) came with "find a Wizards Play..." Top middle.

The printing has changed over time. Seems like all the promos have the same backing card at any given time. Then they change unexpectedly.

I figure there may have been some before I started noticing them or even after that I missed.

Hope that makes it more clear.

Gary

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:18 am

OK, I knew I recognised the security strip, but that was only from the last time you posted it!

I have the sealed promo from the Onslaught Pre Release, no idea what it has on the other side, I was a bit confused because in my Googling I only came up with one promo card but there were two backs in the sealed pack, I guess one is the normal Magic back of one of these promo items. No idea what it has written on it but you are more than welcome to find out.

Mark

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Post by i_set_fire » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:07 pm

I have one that is the same as the one on the lower left but without the SD83331. I was wondering where these came from. I got mine as a packing card when I got some cards shipped from a dealer in Russia.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:OK, I knew I recognised the security strip, but that was only from the last time you posted it!

I have the sealed promo from the Onslaught Pre Release, no idea what it has on the other side, I was a bit confused because in my Googling I only came up with one promo card but there were two backs in the sealed pack, I guess one is the normal Magic back of one of these promo items. No idea what it has written on it but you are more than welcome to find out.

Mark
So it is in clear cellophane and one card is white and the other a regular magic back? interesting. I did the Onslaught pre release but don't remember them being packaged that way. Of course I was playing and the TO just came by and gave each of us a promo card.

Is there a chance it could have come from a fat pack?

In either case I would be interested in it.

Gary
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:16 pm

i_set_fire wrote:I have one that is the same as the one on the lower left but without the SD83331. I was wondering where these came from. I got mine as a packing card when I got some cards shipped from a dealer in Russia.
That is how I got a couple of mine (well, not from Russia.. ). Some dealers care enough about what they send you that they try to protect what you ordered. So it has no copyright date on it and it says Made in the USA? If you don't treasure it I'd like to get it from you.

Gary

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I think the top left one came from the Champs full art foil cards although I will have to look when I have some time and dig out my Serra Avenger pack and let you know.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 am

mystical_tutor wrote: So it is in clear cellophane and one card is white and the other a regular magic back? interesting. I did the Onslaught pre release but don't remember them being packaged that way. Of course I was playing and the TO just came by and gave each of us a promo card.

Is there a chance it could have come from a fat pack?

In either case I would be interested in it.

Gary
It is still sealed in the clear cellophane wrapper. I can't see what it is because both cards are facing each other but both cards have the usual Magic back.

I assume it came in a pre release but I have never been to one and the seller didn't know what it was either.

It was packaged as if it was a tournament type thing. A black cardboard box, the bottom half containing a sealed Tournament pack of 75 cards and the top half holding three Onslaught Boosters (with the circle around the R (R) variety which we surmise is a pre release or at least from a different print run) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... OU:GB:1123

I will send it over and you can have a look for yourself.

Mark

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:48 am

Magic61983 wrote:I think the top left one came from the Champs full art foil cards although I will have to look when I have some time and dig out my Serra Avenger pack and let you know.
Please let us know. It seems that backing was used for some time before it was changed. I'd like to see if I can get a time line on these and put them in order.

Gary

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:It is still sealed in the clear cellophane wrapper. I can't see what it is because both cards are facing each other but both cards have the usual Magic back.

I assume it came in a pre release but I have never been to one and the seller didn't know what it was either.

It was packaged as if it was a tournament type thing. A black cardboard box, the bottom half containing a sealed Tournament pack of 75 cards and the top half holding three Onslaught Boosters (with the circle around the R (R) variety which we surmise is a pre release or at least from a different print run) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... OU:GB:1123

I will send it over and you can have a look for yourself.

Mark
You showed us a couple packs like that at one time (I can't find the thread now). Hope you can send them both. I think they are from fat packs of that era.

Gary

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Hey Gary,

Here's the one from my Serra Avengers sealed pack it's very similar to the one on the bottom left but it doesn't have the SG#######. Your guess is as good as mine on these maybe they were from the Mutavault packs or some other Champs promos. I checked on the Reya promo packs as well and they're the same.

BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:02 pm

I had sealed Groundbreaker and Doran Champs packs. If my memory serves me right, they were the same as Serra Avenger backing card.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Hay! a lot of good detective work there! Thanks much. I updated the image above to reflect my present page.

Thanks to your contributions I was able to go search my sealed stuff with a much more educated eye.

Arena 2006 lands (2005)
Marit Lage (2006)
Azorius Guildmage (2006)
Reya Dawnbringer (2007)

Had the back you pointed out to me--though I am not opening any of them to get the backing card....

So it kinda looks like the blank card with no copyright date was used a long time, then the one with the Number on it and after that cards with copyright dates.

If you find any more please let me know.

If you run across the first one--unattached to a packet--send it to me (if it is still attached to the packet send it anyway... LOL.

Gary

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Post by i_set_fire » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:36 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
i_set_fire wrote:I have one that is the same as the one on the lower left but without the SD83331. I was wondering where these came from. I got mine as a packing card when I got some cards shipped from a dealer in Russia.
That is how I got a couple of mine (well, not from Russia.. ). Some dealers care enough about what they send you that they try to protect what you ordered. So it has no copyright date on it and it says Made in the USA? If you don't treasure it I'd like to get it from you.

Gary
PM me your address and you can have it.