From the Mana Born, UK Fanzine

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

From the Mana Born, UK Fanzine

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:50 am

So a shipping container of...collectables...has just arrived from the UK.

More correctly, a shipping container of my Mum's furniture has just arrived from the UK and within that furniture was a whole wardrobe's worth (I know that because this is where it is now living) of stuff that I have collected because "It is going to be worth something one day"

Fast forward 30 years and it is worth pretty much what I paid for it.

Anyway, in amongst the Cereal Premiums (Every Tony the Tiger/Frosties promo item from the early 80s to the early 90s) and the Star Wars tat (anything that had the words 'Star Wars' and made it onto eBay) was some of my old Magic stuff!

Anyway, a quick Google has brought nothing up which is not surprising, this 40+ page fanzine had a very limited release in the UK and at the time we could not get hold of Scrye, the Duelist or Inquest and there was nothing on the Internet (the local Internet Cafe was running Netscape and Yahoo was the best Search Engine in the world)

This was pretty much our only source of Magic related news...

Not really the best quality magazines but they had colour! (well one colour) which was quite impressive in '95.

I can pick the staples out and scan each page if there is any interest, there is a wordsearch if that is any incentive :)

No idea how many more editions there were, they just stopped turning up at the hobby shop.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:08 pm

I collect CCG related magazines, and would be very interested in scans of these ones, whenever you have time.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:40 pm

I would also love to get scans if you do it. Jason

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Man, I sure hope his scanner isn't as slow as mine....sigh.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:31 am

No problem, I will get onto it!

Any particular scan settings? I will go with 300dpi unless you would like higher rez, I just got a new scanner and it is much better than the old one.

I will probably pdf it unless you have any preferences, I am sure there was a program for reading comics but I haven't used that for ages.

I can OCR it as well, just in case you need to copy any of the text.

Probably won't be allowed to 'play' until the house is tidy but I will make sure I don't file them away.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:41 am

Alrighty, after much delay, I have finished scanning the magazines, or rather, I have just found where I stored them after I scanned them many moons ago.

If anyone is interested in a scan of any of them just send me a message.

As many of you may know "To the Manor Born" was a very popular English Sit Com in the late 70s to early 80s, they are still showing it on some stations. The title was a pun on a line from one of Shakespear's plays, "to the manner born"

So the title of this Magic Fanzine is a pun on a pun, and you don't get much more English than that.

I am not sure if the editorial team went on to further greatness, there was mention of some of them taking on other roles in WotC.

Julian M. Snape .................... Editor
Eamon Bloomfield ................. Sub Editor
Paul Viall .............................. Sub Editor
Clive Bilcliff ...........................Co-Editor

house_atreides
Librarities Legend

Re: From the Mana Born, UK Fanzine

Post by house_atreides » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi,

this thread is resurrected from the dead lol.

Clearing out my loft, and in a box of mags just found Issue 2 of this, still in the shrink lol.

Any interest?

Cheers,
KAL

GlobalBoosterHunter

Re: From the Mana Born, UK Fanzine

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:11 am

Never read Number 2, I would be interested from a nostalgia point of view!