Albino & Blue back 4th Edition

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Shough

Albino & Blue back 4th Edition

Post by Shough » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Considering the nature of the website I would like to post something that people here would be interested in seeing. First, a quick background… Back in 90’s at a local game shop called “Second Seasons” in Virginia we played “Type 1” now called vintage tournaments every Friday night and Saturday at noon followed by the new “Type 2” on Sunday. I would often hang around the shop to play test and trade with friends or help the shop owner Jim to price and sort cards for him to sell. One day a person names Mark, Melvin, and myself where busting a box of 4th edition to price and put in the display case to sell as singles. In the process of opening the packs we noticed many of the commons did not have any color ink on the back of the cards, only black. Each pack had about 3-4 white back commons and from the whole box we found 4 cards that appeared to have only the color blue applied. At that time, it was simply something odd we found and we did not think of their value. There was a 4 row box at the shop full of crazy looking fallen empires misprints that nobody wanted. We counted out all the “albino” backed commons face down into 3 piles and the 4 blue backed cards we divided the same way with Mark getting the extra one because we were helping him. We paid the shop owner for the cards and took them home. Mine went into snap plastic card cases within a few minutes after getting home and there they stayed for several years.

A few years ago I contacted some misprint collectors about their proposed value. (I thought the blue backed one was the rarest given the quantity). I soon realized they were a highly sought after misprint and carried significant value… except the blue backed one that nobody wanted or priced at half the value of the albinos. Being a player of Modern & Legacy format I decided to sell some of them and put that cash into cards I could use or replace them with misprint and rare Jester’s Cap & other related cards that I was interested in collecting. I kept a matching set of Pikemen, one Albino and one with only blue/black ink mainly because for many years I thought them to be rarest and they came from the same box. I also pulled out the best card from each color and kept those for my own collection. All the others I sold in an online auction. Thank you for reading the backstory on these cards, here are some pictures:
Attachments
pikemen.jpg
pikemen.jpg (162.64 KiB) Viewed 10884 times
Last 5.jpg
Last 5.jpg (103.97 KiB) Viewed 10884 times
Sold.jpg
Sold.jpg (228.69 KiB) Viewed 10884 times

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Re: Albino & Blue back 4th Edition

Post by TheJGit » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Thank you for sharing! You posted these somewhere on Facebook right? Anyways I'm looking to add an albino backed card to my albinos collection. If you ever feel like parting with that marsh viper (or any of the others that you still have) please let me know! =P~ =P~ =P~

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:49 pm

Nice pulls, always good to see something new!

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Thx for sharing! Now I'm curious: were there any land cards among those "albinos"?
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:08 pm

It looks like they're all commons, and 4th edition lands were printed on a separate sheet.

I still enjoy the one of these that I purchased, Thank You!

It would be neat to have a high resolution scan of the blue black card back.

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 am

cataclysm80 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:08 pm
and 4th edition lands were printed on a separate sheet.
Thx for the info -- appreciated!
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128