If a "Proposal" card became available for purchase

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

If a "Proposal" card became available for purchase

Post by Rainsford » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:22 pm

All,

So, let's say one of the nine Proposals becomes available for purchase...

How much is it worth? (Assuming confirmed/documented origins - and it isn't the stolen one - and it is in NM condition.)

Best regards,

Rainsford
Last edited by Rainsford on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Well, this card would be pure speculation, due to the fact that it is extremely rare, & a few key collectors would want one. Documentation & proof would be key (speeking from experience).

Personally, I'd expect it to hit about $10,000.

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:48 pm

I'd say at least $5,000, but only if it could be confirmed as real.
It would really draw the collectors out of the woodwork, it would also draw out collectors with piles of cash and nothing to do with it.

Maybe $10,000 is a fair estimate. :-k

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Let us, for the sake of discussion, assume the card can be 100% confirmed as real and also be 100% confirmed it is NOT the stolen one.

---------------

Should this be worth less than a Summer Hurricane? Is there any other collectable worth more? Since there are fewer that Fraternal Exaltation and Splendid Genesis, should it be worth more then either? More than both together? Is the price for this sort of uber-high-end collectable going up, stablizing, or going down?

Best regards,

Rainsford

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 pm

i thought that proposal was only a sticker and not a real card ...

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 pm

I personally would value it a bit over a summer efreet maybe double-triple.
rarity should be the same, but the card is much more important and of historical value for the game, the games history and myth.
Also as its was only given out to certain people they have a private/family history value going with it and thus it generally should not be for sale at all.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:34 am

I would value it more than Fraternal or Splendid, but less than 1996 World Champion or Shichifukujin Dragon

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:56 am

Proposal isn't a sticker, but it is printed material affixed (not via a sticker) to a basic land. The front looks bright and nice, and the edges are flush with the edges of the base card (and the corners are rounded.)

Best regards,

Rainsford

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:59 am

*edit duplicate post (for some reason)
Last edited by berkumps on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:02 am

l0qii wrote:I would value it more than Fraternal or Splendid, but less than 1996 World Champion or Shichifukujin Dragon
I agree.

How many times has the World Champion card changed hands? Once? What was the sale price? $10k?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:19 am

berkumps wrote:
l0qii wrote:I would value it more than Fraternal or Splendid, but less than 1996 World Champion or Shichifukujin Dragon
I agree.

How many times has the World Champion card changed hands? Once? What was the sale price? $10k?
That's my point. It's hard to ask the value of a card like Proposal that has never (or perhaps rarely) been sold. There rarest benchmark we have to work with are the Splendid and Fraternal. The only cards really more rare are the other 2 cards. Even if the Champ lets say sold for $10k once upon a time, it would certainly sell for more today. How much more is about as predictable as an art auction.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:37 am

World champion is not a card, its a trophy with a card in it.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55 pm

We must not forget that the price of an item like this is based on "how much does one guy is willing to pay for it".

Rembrandt and Van Gogh (to name but the more popular) work of arts' prices can vary from one time to another, depending on who takes part in the auction.

Now, the fact that the Proposal is not a "printed" card but a sort of "montage" does diminish its potential value.

Splendid Genesis can be found at $1500, Exaltation's price vary.

I'd say $3000-5000 price range. And that is what I would be willing to pay for it, considering I would buy it at this price. I wouldn't pay much more for it. And I can consider myself one among the biggest collectors worldwide.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Thinking more about this question, leads me to believe that public responses to it have almost no weight (for a number of reasons).

1) It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it (as others have mentioned).

2) Only those who could actually afford it, and were serious about purchasing it would have valid estimates.

3) Those same people from point 2 would not post such estimates as they would not want others knowing how high they would go.

It is, however, fun to speculate about the sale of such a card. But that is all responses in this thread would be, speculation. It would be nice to see Rainsford's PM box at this point. :-k

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Sometimes the price posted is a bluff designed to scare other potential bidders away. And part of the ultimate price would depend upon how iron-clad the documentation to prove this one isn't the stolen one (or some additional, until now unknown, duplicate)