Hello! Help me value this cards.

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Hello! Help me value this cards.

Post by CHaPuZaS » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 am

I will start with a little presentation. I am a Magic:TG player, writer, eternal expert, collector, store assistant, judge, tournament organizer, editor... from Spain. I mean, many Magical things. I really love collecting. As a collector, which is a very important part of this forum, I own a Beta Set, Antiquities, every sets up to Urza's Saga, foil sets of Apocalypse, Urza's Legacy and Destiny, 8th foil, 9th foil, and I'm about to complete AN, Legends, Champions, Betrayers, Saviors foil sets, an Scryb Sprites Global Set, a collection of Boosters from every set. I also own Sealed Products, boxes of Signed and asian Cards...

I think collecting cards is one of the things that I most like at Magic, I mean, there's something about having an spare afternoon and have a look at your cards and say "Wow... Look at this...".

But the point is, I also collect Misprints, Errors, Miscuts, Crimps, etc... But something that I value the most in that specific collection is that I just buy cards that I see live. I've never bought something on the Internet, so I'm far from being an expert at putting values at some cards in my collection. I don't want to sell something, I just want to know the value of that part of my collection:

This is a full set of Shadowmoor miscut lands that a friend of mine gave me as a gift. Those are not too much miscut I guess, but I love them for having appeared together.

These are the most interesting Ink Errors, Crimps an Miscuts. I really don't love too much the Ink errors, but they do exist. The crimps are interesting. The miscuts like that made me fall in love. The jewels o my humble collection are the Glorious Anthem Highly dropped to the left miscut and the Powder Keg Promo, which is Highly Crimped and the card is cut down by the enveloper machine. I love those two cards.

These are some regular Conflux Miscuts (But I have thousands) and the my two connected miscut sets. The first one is vertical and made of two cards, the second is a three card horizontal connection miscut. Those might be the most valuable Misprints I have, I' not sure, but still, the Glorious Anthem and the Powder Kegare my favourite ones.

These are regular miscuts, nothing really surprising, or at least that's what I think, but I appreciate them as they are the others most miscut in the albums. Sunbalm, Circular Logic and Hymn to Tourach have the back centered, while no other cards in my collection have it.

Thank you very much in advance!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:44 am

Sorry I can't help you with your basic question as I don't buy these kinds of cards--only keep the ones that are given to me or I find.

Someone else on this board has put it about the best way it can be put and that is these cards are worth what you can find someone to give you. Even your series (put together) cards would best be confirmed by having pictures of the plates to show that they really do go together. In any case I agree with you that they are probably the most valuable.

I thought, though, I should point out that your disenchant and your Amrou Kithkin may need to be swapped as there will be no "toughness" on the disenchant.

Thanks for the pictures.

Gary

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Yes! What an Epic fail! It seems that I put them on the scanner wrongly when took out of the album.

About the value, that's the point I'm not sure about, but it seems to be very difficult to find out.

Thank you!

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Hello,

I have quite a bit of experience since I've been collecting non-standard misprints for over 14 years now and possess about 2,000 misprinted cards.

In my personal valuation (still subjective of course, since actual trades happening in the real world tend to vary a lot):

1) All miscuts that don't show a second card or edge of sheet are next-to-worthless (I don't even collect these), unless they're absolute staples that people might want for pimping. Even in that case, you're looking for maybe $2-3 on the Hymn To Tourach as opposed to the usual $1.

2) Inked cards are also quite common and cheap, but can fetch around $5 if good looking (once again, a totally different story can be told for Vintage staples such as the blotchd Brainstorms or Underground Sea etc.)

3) Miscuts showing 2 cards or the edge of sheet range from about $2-3 each to much more. Major factors are what appears (edge of sheet commands a premium, so maybe your Conflux stuff could fetch $5-10 each) and how bad the miscut is (I saw a recent rise of interest in miscuts that are at least 70/30). Your best one seems the spanish Hymno glorioso that might fetch about $8-10. Once again, quite obviously much greater values can be found on playable cards, especilly in Vintage decks. I also saw great interest on heavily miscut basic lands recently.

4) Even though everybody likes miscut-connecting-series at a first glance, I never really saw them fetch that much of a premium over the single miscuts composing them ... i.e. your series of 3 is probably worth about $15 (maybe 20) but not more.

5) Crimps are VERY common and collected in vast quantities by some members here. They're usually traded at $2 each, but maybe the Powder Keg you have might be worth like $5-6

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:50 pm

ende73 wrote:Hello,

I have quite a bit of experience since I've been collecting non-standard misprints for over 14 years now and possess about 2,000 misprinted cards.

In my personal valuation (still subjective of course, since actual trades happening in the real world tend to vary a lot):

1) All miscuts that don't show a second card or edge of sheet are next-to-worthless (I don't even collect these), unless they're absolute staples that people might want for pimping. Even in that case, you're looking for maybe $2-3 on the Hymn To Tourach as opposed to the usual $1.

2) Inked cards are also quite common and cheap, but can fetch around $5 if good looking (once again, a totally different story can be told for Vintage staples such as the blotchd Brainstorms or Underground Sea etc.)

3) Miscuts showing 2 cards or the edge of sheet range from about $2-3 each to much more. Major factors are what appears (edge of sheet commands a premium, so maybe your Conflux stuff could fetch $5-10 each) and how bad the miscut is (I saw a recent rise of interest in miscuts that are at least 70/30). Your best one seems the spanish Hymno glorioso that might fetch about $8-10. Once again, quite obviously much greater values can be found on playable cards, especilly in Vintage decks. I also saw great interest on heavily miscut basic lands recently.

4) Even though everybody likes miscut-connecting-series at a first glance, I never really saw them fetch that much of a premium over the single miscuts composing them ... i.e. your series of 3 is probably worth about $15 (maybe 20) but not more.

5) Crimps are VERY common and collected in vast quantities by some members here. They're usually traded at $2 each, but maybe the Powder Keg you have might be worth like $5-6
I agree with all this except the Scalebane I believe is worth a bit more then the rest. I may be wrong but I thought I saw a similar misprint on eBay a while back sell for around $40-$50. I can't remember if it was a blotch like yours of if it was something else.

If anyone can remember please let me know.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi Brian,

yes looking at he Scalebane again it's a pretty good blotch (completely white and clean), making it rarer than other less-dramatic inking errors.

I overlooked it at first sight and it certainly deserves attention, but I do own some of these too and if I remember correctly I got them for prices ranging no more than $12-15 each.
Of course that value can go up remarkably if you can find cards with an even greater portion of blotching.

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:27 am

Thank you very much! This will help me when collecting additional pieces, thanks!

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:09 am

CHaPuZaS wrote:Thank you very much! This will help me when collecting additional pieces, thanks!
Say, I just noticed you are a brand new member. I'd like to welcome you to the community and will be looking forward to your input.

I don't have any real area of expertiese like some but am always willing to share what I do know. Well, maybe my strong point is US English token and tip cards.

Which reminds me, I think Mister Foilcard (the guy that may go blind someday from scanning all the cards that you see on this site) is looking for someone from Spain to help us with informaiton and samples of Spanish t/t cards from the new expansions.

If your a normal sane collector you probably don't collect t/t cards by the various advertisements they have on the backs but some of us do and Mister Foicard has the master spread sheet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?21rf9a7c0mjn0jd

As you can see Spanish could greatly benefit from some tender loving care and input.

In any case, looking forward to getting to know you.

Gary Adkison

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm far from a sane collector... I work for a litle MTG store in Madrid and I'm also editor for magicevolution.com, whose owner is also a forum member. In fact, he did point me some people was collecting t/t and I started to collect as much as I can in las few months.

Just tell me What you need and I'll make my best.

Also I talk with a man named Adkison in a Bazaar of Moxen event a pair of years ago, that was you?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:13 am

CHaPuZaS wrote:....In fact, he did point me some people was collecting t/t and I started to collect as much as I can in las few months.

Just tell me What you need and I'll make my best.
Mister Foilcard is the t/t man! His email address is on the link in my last post and as you have noticed when you looked at the spreadsheet Spain is a little more up to date than many of the countries but there are many sets with no Spanish information at all.

What I do is try and collect a second set of US English when they are just out as I can pick up all the tip cards easily at booster drafts and per-releases and often get most of the tokens too. I send the extras to him so he has cards to scan--of course if the European English t/t cards are the same as the US he doesn't need mine.

I'm sure he would be grateful to even just have a complete list of what has been printed in each set but a set of the cards for scanning would benefit the whole community.
CHaPuZaS wrote:Also I talk with a man named Adkison in a Bazaar of Moxen event a pair of years ago, that was you?
Well if you met a fat old fart with a beard and bad back wearing a cowboy hat -- that was me.

Gary

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:37 pm

:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

You paint such a lovely picture, Gary!!! Honesty like that is hard to find these days (lol).

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 am

Sure then! It was you. As soon as I have time, I'll mail him and see what we can do.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:58 pm

CHaPuZaS wrote:Sure then! It was you. As soon as I have time, I'll mail him and see what we can do.
Excellent! The more historical documentation we put into this board the more valuable it is for present and future research. Your help is appreciated.

Gary