Factory Sealed IPA and 7th Magic Online sets

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

BenBleiweiss
Legendary StarcityGames General Manager

Factory Sealed IPA and 7th Magic Online sets

Post by BenBleiweiss » Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 pm

Hey GUys:

What kind of premium would there be on both Regular and Foil factory-sealed Magic Online sets from Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse, and 7th Edition (the sets that were only around in redemption for about 3-6 months)?

- Ben Bleiweiss
- General Manager, StarCityGames.com

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:20 pm

The Invasion, Apoc and Planeshift sets were only available from winning certain events and getting the packs as prizes. The same may be said for 7th I honestly can't remember. I suspect that these will be close to double what a normal foil set of each is worth because the factory sealed sets on these are extremely rare and a true collectors item.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Fri May 18, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm pretty sure the IPA sets were available as redeemable sets. I'm sure they are pretty rare. But I can't really say how valuable they may be. Seems like one of those "you can get high for it but you have to wait" type items.

Default User
Librarities Hero

Full old foil Mtgo-sets

Post by Default User » Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 am

7th edition factory sealed sets should be pretty rare and IPA was not widely redeemed either. New sets were coming out and IPA was not drafted heavily anymore. I agree on the 2x multiplier, but finding the right collector might take some work. Maybe MtGO traders/Cape Fear guys would appreciate a piece of the MtgO history. :D

After the beta-testing ended MtgO was also pretty slow to pick up steam at first. Getting to having only a few drafts getting stared every hour with maybe five IPA drafts in the whole day. The redemption did not work too well either at the start. (At least for us Europeans.) I did take a break from MtgO, since having to pay for drafts after the year of free testing, was annoying, so my impressions are from the first few month of MtgO.

I cannot give any figures how many foil sets were redeemed, but I would imagine, that most were opened and relatively few remain sealed. Also some foils were very hard to find at first.

Too bad that we were not allowed to keep any of the beta testing cards, as there were a insane amount of product being opened, as it was basically free and we got 100-1k tix per week to spend on testing the store.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.