Alpha/Beta set sales comps?

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Alpha/Beta set sales comps?

Post by magicmisprints » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:44 pm

Do these exist? Has anyone heard of a complete Alpha or Beta set in average condition selling AT ALL (or really, even being offered) in the past couple of years, or has the day of the complete set passed because of the price runup?
- magicmisprints

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Re: Alpha/Beta set sales comps?

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:13 am

My guess is many people can't afford to buy the whole set in one go, or at least, can't justify it to their wife.

Many people are piecing together a set one card at a time as they become available at the right price. They may already have some of the Power Nine and can't afford doubles. One way would be to sell your part set and put the money towards a full set but that is a bit of a risk.

I think a lot of us who started playing as kids or young adults are now at the stage of life when they have a bit of disposable income and many may even have investments. I have a Self Managed Super Fund and if they didn't have such stringent auditing requirements for collectibles I would already have a set in there.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:49 am

I've seen complete sets of ABU posted for sale recently, graded and ungraded.
The prices are always high and I don't think any have sold yet. At least one (graded) is being broken up now.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:52 am

magicmisprints wrote:Do these exist? Has anyone heard of a complete Alpha or Beta set in average condition selling AT ALL (or really, even being offered) in the past couple of years, or has the day of the complete set passed because of the price runup?
Hi

I know of 4 or 5 complete sets (Alpha/Beta) Graded and not Graded that sold in the last years. The Graded one was sold by one of our members and another one was offered also by another member.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:22 am

In the last few years I am trying to convince (Or not) to sell it, for I'll give that cash a good purpose. I've decided to buy a house and I am trying to decide if its better to keep the set for selling it later or hypothecate myself. What do you guys think? Is there people buying the set for a good price out there?

Edit: Beta set, from Excellent to Mint.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:22 pm

CHaPuZaS wrote:In the last few years I am trying to convince (Or not) to sell it, for I'll give that cash a good purpose. I've decided to buy a house and I am trying to decide if its better to keep the set for selling it later or hypothecate myself. What do you guys think? Is there people buying the set for a good price out there?

You can't play with your friends with a house. Much better to keep the cards :-P

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:I've seen complete sets of ABU posted for sale recently, graded and ungraded.
The prices are always high and I don't think any have sold yet. At least one (graded) is being broken up now.

Tav
I've seen two graded Alpha and one graded Beta go up on eBay. I thought two were from the same member of this site. What I haven't seen is sets in more average condition (ungraded). What sorts of prices have people been asking (and not getting?) for these in Beta and Alpha?
- magicmisprints

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:30 pm

I sold my complete PSA graded Alpha set in 2014. The set was #4 on the PSA Registry at the time (now retired at #9 of all time). Details of the set including selling price are archived on their site http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/a ... 23954&ac=1

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:32 am

CHaPuZaS wrote:In the last few years I am trying to convince (Or not) to sell it, for I'll give that cash a good purpose. I've decided to buy a house and I am trying to decide if its better to keep the set for selling it later or hypothecate myself. What do you guys think? Is there people buying the set for a good price out there?

If you use the money from the sale to pay down the home loan early then you will save yourself from paying interest and it will be save you thousands of extra dollars on top of the sale price.

Of course, once the house is paid off you will regret selling the cards and you will try to build another set and it will cost you even more.

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:31 am

Regret is my middle name.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:49 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:

If you use the money from the sale to pay down the home loan early then you will save yourself from paying interest and it will be save you thousands of extra dollars on top of the sale price.

Of course, once the house is paid off you will regret selling the cards and you will try to build another set and it will cost you even more.
It's Funny and Sad because it's true. The Collector's Conundrum! :-k

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:52 pm

magicmisprints wrote:
cataclysm80 wrote:I've seen complete sets of ABU posted for sale recently, graded and ungraded.

Tav
I've seen two graded Alpha and one graded Beta go up on eBay. I thought two were from the same member of this site. What I haven't seen is sets in more average condition (ungraded). What sorts of prices have people been asking (and not getting?) for these in Beta and Alpha?
Yes, those are some of the same sets I saw. They were also listed elsewhere for sale (maybe at a lower price due to eBay fees?)
One of those graded sets is being broken up and sold off in pieces.

In addition to those, there was an ungraded Beta set with an asking price of $62,000. Not sold, so who knows what the real price would be.
People regularly list items for to much money and then take the highest offer they can get.

I thought that I saw an Unlimited set listed for $30,000 but I don't see it anymore. I don't think it sold, I think the listing was deleted.

Tav

Default User
Librarities Hero

Post by Default User » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 am

Last winter a friend asked me to sell their full Unlimited set, which ranged from nm to played and agreed to aim for 10k euros as the price of the cards. The owner received another offer for 10k after we had agreed to break the set. So far about 4.5k has been sold and there are still few moxen, Lotus and Ancestral waiting, along with a traded in beta Twister.

For somebody paying 30k$ for Unl-set, the set needs to be in great condition and hopefully already graded. Non-graded nm-m set should be worth about 15-18k, unless the EU market differs from the US. Which is entirely possible.

Tuomas
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:02 pm

This is the difference between an asking price, and an actual selling price. Asking price alone is not a good estimate for the true value of a set

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:03 pm

l0qii wrote:This is the difference between an asking price, and an actual selling price. Asking price alone is not a good estimate for the true value of a set
One hopes to find comps (comparable sales figures of actual sales made) and settles for what may be gleaned from asking prices in cases where items are of such rarity or such low demand that few if any decent sales comps exist. For me, the question is academic at the moment since no one seems to have/want to tell me about an expletive-deleted Alpha Gauntlet!
- magicmisprints