Sample Decks

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Sample Decks

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:51 am

Hi All

I am going on holiday with a friend of my wife's family over Christmas and I am bringing along some board games, so far I have packed;
  • Carcassonne with many expansions
    Zombicide: Original with expansions
    Zombicide: Black Plague with expansions
    Pandemic: Legacy
Which are all good fun but they last hours, upwards of three in most cases.

I was looking for a small quick game that we could play between the other games and when we were waiting and that reminded me of the early days of Magic.

None of the friends are gamers but they all love the ones we have introduced them to and the two kids play videogames. We play about 5 games a year with them except over Christmas when we normally go all out.

My wife has played MtG and I get the impression that she will not be too sad if there are not enough decks to go around, which leaves us with five players, four have never played the game before and last time I played, mana-burn was a thing.

I was thinking of getting some beginner MtG decks, I have some preconstructed decks from different expansions but I think they might be a bit complicated to explain. Those small 30 card mono decks look to be about the right level and the should be balanced. Probably not very interesting for me to play but a lot more portable than packing all my old cards and spending weeks making decks for everyone.

I thought that if I buy one set from a couple of different years it would serve several purposes
  • They could see that each colour behaved differently
    they could try different decks in the same colour to build the themes.
    they could see how you can mix the decks in the same colour to create custom decks
    they can see how you can mix the colours together to get new themes.
Then I can give them some old boosters and they can suffer the mixed joy of seeing new cards for the first time and then discovering that they are no use.

Any thoughts on that plan and more importantly, any idea where I can get some?

I have checked out eBay but most people just have a single set, to make it worthwhile I would want at least 10 different decks, possibly more.

Cheers

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Re: Sample Decks

Post by BillBo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:39 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Any thoughts on that plan and more importantly, any idea where I can get some?
I did the same to teach ppl the game and it worked like a charm. These 30-cards mono-colored decks are low-complexity pegged to people new to the game, they introduce them to the color-identities (white hereos, black zombies, etc) , and once you merge two to make it a two-color deck it's actually fun. You should be able to pick some up for free at any LGS.
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Re: Sample Decks

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:49 pm

I will take a trip to the big city, we don't have anything local but it should be worth the journey. I will ring them first though!

Good to hear that they do the job.