Middle Ages questions

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Middle Ages questions

Post by Archivist » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:09 pm

http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities-middle-ages.html

Do the stickers have round or square corners? If round, are they more "Alpha" or "Beta" cut?

When applied to a card, do (or would) the stickers overlap the edges or corners or are they smaller than a Magic card? Are they an exact fit or very close?

Inca911 wrote long ago on the old forum board that the uncut sheets were "printed on actual cardstock" - what is printed on the backside of the sheets? Are they blank?
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Re: Middle Ages questions

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:01 pm

The stickers have square corners (as shown), so they overlap the real card borders. I do not know whether theymatch the size of real Magic cards exactly, but it surly is at least close to that. As far as Inca911's statement is concerned, I do not know what he meant to say. All I can tell you is that the "cards" are printed in the fashion of typical stickers (a thin, removable printed top layer attached to a thin bottom layer), and that their backside is white (as shown). The uncut sheets should not be any different.

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:36 pm

http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities-middle-ages.html

Do the stickers have round or square corners? If round, are they more "Alpha" or "Beta" cut?
I've e-mailed both you and Ralph an example scan for reference.  Middle Ages stickers have square corners.
When applied to a card, do (or would) the stickers overlap the edges or corners or are they smaller than a Magic card? Are they an exact fit or very close?
The stickers are 1 mm wider and 1 mm taller than a regular Magic card.  They were meant to be trimmed.  The rules insert states after sticker is applied:  "With adult supervision and safety in mind, turn the card over and cut off any overhanging material.  REMEMBER!  Blades and scissors are extremely sharp!  Use caution."
Inca911 wrote long ago on the old forum board that the uncut sheets were "printed on actual cardstock" - what is printed on the backside of the sheets? Are they blank?
This is not card stock and the backs are not blank.  I have no Middle Ages with blank backs.

EDIT:  MCM didn't get his e-mail.  The file was too large.  I'll try to post image.   >:(
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:00 pm

If you don't see the image, cut and paste link into your browser.

http://fire.prohosting.com/~bigfatki/Middle%20Ages.JPG

I put a card in the image to show an example of size along with an example of a front and a back.    

BTW if anyone has any Middles Ages for sale or trade, I'm still looking for a few.   ;D

inca911
Librarities Legend

Post by inca911 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:26 pm

There are the traditional MA stickers, which are square-cornered and printed on sticker-stock.

However, there were also 20 complete MA sets printed on actual cardstock for diplay by game creator and friends/family.  These uncut sheets were numbered and signed by Fred Ditzler (#/20).  Mr. Ditzler indicated many of these uncut sheets were destroyed due to water damage and ~10 are estimated to now exist.

So, the complete uncut sheets that are scanned and viewable on the site are indeed made from cardstock and not sticker-stock.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:11 pm

So, the complete uncut sheets that are scanned and viewable on the site are indeed made from cardstock and not sticker-stock.
Inca911 - is the backside of the sheets blank?
I put a card in the image to show an example of size along with an example of a front and a back.
This scan shows a backside that is not blank, as currently documented on the website. Can more members confirm whether there MA stickers are blank or not?
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:56 pm

There are the traditional MA stickers, which are square-cornered and printed on sticker-stock.

However, there were also 20 complete MA sets printed on actual cardstock for diplay by game creator and friends/family.  These uncut sheets were numbered and signed by Fred Ditzler (#/20).  Mr. Ditzler indicated many of these uncut sheets were destroyed due to water damage and ~10 are estimated to now exist.

Any more info on the uncut sheets?  Were these just printing/artist proofs?  Was a complete set shown on the sheet or there one sheet for each rarity?

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:51 pm

Inca911 - is the backside of the sheets blank?

This scan shows a backside that is not blank, as currently documented on the website. Can more members confirm whether there MA stickers are blank or not?
the ones i have do have the same "sticker" back as the elder dragon from bigfatkutty.

@bfk: So you've won the dragon  :'(
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:02 am

I have double-checked my resources and can confirm that the backside of the Middle Ages stickers is not blank white as currently shown on the website but looks exactly like the backside of the Edge of the World stickers. This has been a confusion on my part and will be corrected with the next update. The uncut sheets look exactly like the ones shown on Magic Rarities, but they are signed and numbered.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:12 am

I have only 2 stickers - Wasp of the Hive and Rukh.
Both have white backsides, except they have words on them, as would be found on many stickers I have come across.
First line reads 'PRIMELINE'
second line reads  'PERMANENT'
and third is partially cut on the bottom but reads 'KANZAKI'

It looks like these words are spelled across a large sheet that is affixed to the back of the sticker and just cut how they are.  Both stickers look the same on the back, its just where the words are located that is different.

Don't know if this means anything helpful or not, but it is what I have.
Oct 30, away until further notice

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:43 am

I believe this is where the sticker-paper was made:

http://www.aecon.net/Kanzaki.html

the producers of Middle Ages probably just printed the cards right on top of Kanzaki adheasive paper, and didn't worry about the Kanzaki backs.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:59 am

I have accumulated a large partial set over the years, from a number of different sources.  One of these goes back many years and included stickers applied to Beta lands and to "blue-bordered" ice age commons.  I can confirm that  the Kanzaki Primeline Permanent adhesive sheets are the norm for most, if not all, of the Middle Ages stickers that came in packs.  They are square cornered and just larger than a standard magic card in both height and width.

I have seen in the Library description that there are supposedly a number of "super rares" but have never been able to determine which stickers they were.  I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck.  It has been my experience that many of the commons seem more difficult to find than the uncommons (as the set had no listed rares).
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:48 am

I have seen in the Library description that there are supposedly a number of "super rares" but have never been able to determine which stickers they were.  I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck.  It has been my experience that many of the commons seem more difficult to find than the uncommons (as the set had no listed rares).
If I am not mistaken, the two I mentioned above are the 2 most rare in the set.  At least, that is what I have heard and read in the past.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:56 am

silver.paladin: The two cards you named do not really have a rarity, as they were not available in boosters. They could only be obtained by sending in 5 booster wrappings plus $4 US to Marauder Graphics.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:27 am

silver.paladin: The two cards you named do not really have a rarity, as they were not available in boosters. They could only be obtained by sending in 5 booster wrappings plus $4 US to Marauder Graphics.
ahh, thank you for the explanation Ralph.  I am not even sure why I got these, except that the Rukh looked like a real nice card.  I tried to get it once before, but another member here (who I will not name, ok Drags?  :o) outbid me, and when I saw both of these stickers available, I thought what the heck, why not buy them.  Its good to know in a way, that I have the promo cards, not the regular ones   :D