500th Member

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

johnstown713
Legendary Boy Of 713

500th Member

Post by johnstown713 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 am

I would just like to point out we have reached the 500th member, Calipso.  I find this to be cool as during the past months I have been here, I have witnessed the members increase by a lot.  I am glad to see the site continuing to grow and I would like to thank Ralph for this site and hope we can keep this up.

Celebrindor

Re: 500th Member

Post by Celebrindor » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:11 am

I would just like to point out we have reached the 500th member, Calipso.  I find this to be cool as during the past months I have been here, I have witnessed the members increase by a lot.  I am glad to see the site continuing to grow and I would like to thank Ralph for this site and hope we can keep this up.
The funny thing is, well over 1/2 of the members have 0 or 1 posts.  its odd.

johnstown713
Legendary Boy Of 713

Post by johnstown713 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:13 am

Even so, I know that a lot of people come here to read the various topics that we have and feel they don't need to say anything because all the people that do post here seem to cover the main points.  

Although people may not post you can see guests here all the time everyday.  New people here about the site all the time.

Calipso

Post by Calipso » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:31 am

At last! I'm famous!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:35 am

johnstown713: Thank you :)

Regarding the 0 post members, let me add that I have made it an internal rule to delete members who have not posted for a year and have no valuable archived posts. I wish to keep the database free of dead entries. I have not strictly done this in every case, though, so do not wonder why a few members still exist. I wilwl do another round once the forum has been cleansed.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:12 am

Perhaps they just want to make sure they'll be eligible to order new Minagishi/Crazy Clowns tokens the next time they're manufactured for our members?
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:26 am

Perhaps they just want to make sure they'll be eligible to order new Minagishi/Crazy Clowns tokens the next time they're manufactured for our members?
This is possibly true. Where else can you be reasonably guaranteed of getting REAL tokens instead of the fakes.  And to the best of my knowledge, so far I have only seen one set of the previous tokens on Ebay.  Thereby, the new Minagishi are not really available anywhere but here.
Oct 30, away until further notice

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:34 am

Regarding the 0 post members, let me add that I have made it an internal rule to delete members who have not posted for a year and have no valuable archived posts. I wish to keep the database free of dead entries. I have not strictly done this in every case, though, so do not wonder why a few members still exist. I wilwl do another round once the forum has been cleansed.
i simply made a MOD to do this, in phpBB.  those with zero posts don't show up in the memberlist, as the newest member (which is instead redefined as "the person who made their first post most recently"), in groups (a feature YaBB doesn't have), and they don't contribute to the membercount.

admins can still view them in their control panel thing, but they're practically invisible to normal users.
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:40 am

motorcitymagic: I agree, this is quite possible in case of newer members. I wanted to circumvent the problem by restricting the offer to members who had joined prior to the offer, but this has proven inefficient.  What started as an idea of reward, has become dysfunctional to the community it was meant to support. Since I have no desire to lure people into becoming a member who are not interested to be part of the community anyway, I will abandon this idea. Should Jim approach me with a new Crazy Clowns set, the tokens will be available for everybody. Given the low interest in the last set, this should not decrease the chance of getting sets for members anyway.

tah

Post by tah » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:41 am

Not so much. When you are registered you can more easily follow "unread topics"... That was the reason why I registered myself, and I think my first post came long after that (approx year ago when I needed to know value of M-filler)
Noli turbare circulos meos.

And no, we do NOT have polar Bears in Finland

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:54 pm

I know that I didn't post for several months after joining because I wanted to get a better feeling for the community and make sure that my posts were in line with what was generally accepted.  I'm sure there are others in a similar position.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:24 pm

Not so much. When you are registered you can more easily follow "unread topics"... That was the reason why I registered myself, and I think my first post came long after that (approx year ago when I needed to know value of M-filler)
This makes plenty of sense, what tah is saying, and I would be willing to bet that many of the "0" posters here, are members strictly so that they can keep up to date with the forums, since being a member will save what has been read and what has not, so therefore they are not searching for new topics or new replies.
I find that this is a nice feature of the program, saving the read and unread messages for users.

Perhaps if Ralph is going to someday do a clean up that will remove the 0 posting members, instead of 'politely' forcing the quiet members to say something to save their membership here, maybe there is some way of creating a registered guest as opposed to just a guest.  Registered guests would not need to show up as members here, but it could be used to save their read posts.

I don't know if this idea is plausible or not, but just a thought.
Oct 30, away until further notice

furiousavatar

Post by furiousavatar » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:36 pm

I have a couple friends that have accounts here, one of which comes here and reads more often then i do.
Bradley
www.Daggerinc.com
-----
4.5 collection: 364/378

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:43 pm

On the old site i was checking out the site for over a year before i even noticed there was a forum but hey thats me lol. After i posted i got flamed by stu55 saying he is the real stu  ???    sometimes i've noticed we as a community can be hard on noobies. Flaming them for asking questions that are archived. If i never posted and saw that i would never post. I've seen this only a couple of times. I don't mean the obvious either he needs to be flamed
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:37 pm

It is odd, I used to come to this site for various strange reasons, & for the longest time I did not notice there was a forum. It wasn't until I bought an Alpha playtest deck & was talking to people on MOTL about it. I am pretty sure Er100 referred me here. This was over 1 1/2 years ago, I was about the 220th member to join.