If you are ever in the area...

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

moxdiamd

Re: If you are ever in the area...

Post by moxdiamd » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:26 am

On another note, I heard Richard Garfield will be at a major show in the central USA (GenCon perhaps?). If anyone can let me know for sure, thanks in advance...
I think I heard he will be at Origins this year.  I haven't heard about Gencon.

Speaking of GenCon, where you there last year with some of these cards. I remember someone with "playtest" cards showing them to some of the vintage players(this person gave a playtest deck to a guy to play with) right after the vintage world championship (maybe during the championship, cant remember exactly).  Is that you?

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:37 am

Sure was. I played Steve Menadin, letting him use a playtest deck. I also played Al Scapone (a member of the forum).

moxdiamd

Post by moxdiamd » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:16 am

I though that had to be you after reading this thread.  I was looking over the shoulders of people as they looked at your misprint binder.  I got to say, some of the cards you have are quite amazing.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:35 am

Thanks for the compliment. But thanks to collecting MTG rarities, my bank account isn't so amazing.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:42 am

Thanks for the compliment. But thanks to collecting MTG rarities, my bank account isn't so amazing.
Just goes to show you have your priorities straight...   ;D

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:05 pm

I hope to see a few of you on saturday... I'll be the only person in the building with a Frank Zappa t-shirt on (I assume). Come up & introduce yourself.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:17 pm

Well, Origins was a success. I met a few of you, and as busy as I was I tried to fit everything into one day... I was exhausted by the evening.

I met Richard Garfield, and played a game with him. I lost, as Starburst was played as if I didn't win, just took another turn. More importantly than the win/ loss, he explained these playtest cards better than anyone else on this planet ever could. Many of the crude illustrations were done by him, and I got him to autograph a few of them, he even put ILLUS: Richard Garfield on one of the more crude swamps he drew.

I also met several artists, and got a few playtest cards signed (if they drew the Alpha version), and several very unusual misprints signed too.

All in all, I had a blast! I didn't touch a "normal" MTG card the entire time I was there, and that's just fine by me!

Porkinho

Post by Porkinho » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:42 pm

I wish I could have been there... but Portugal is a bit far away, but one day, I will :) hold on to those playtests, I wanna see them :>

Luis