Value on a sealed box of Simplified Chinese 5th Edition

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Danztheman

Value on a sealed box of Simplified Chinese 5th Edition

Post by Danztheman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:48 am

Yeah, the one with the Roman Numeral V for the set symbol. I believe Cantonese and Simplified Chinese are the same, am I right? I guess I'm taking offers on it, trade or otherwise. It might be cool just to open its SOO cool looking :)
Sign up for an account at www.magicarsenal.com and put me as your referrer (danztheman@gmail.com), that way i'll get 10% of your first purchase from them and you'll get $5 free towards your first order. Everyone wins!

Danztheman

Post by Danztheman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:58 am

Seriously? No one has any idea what the simplified chinese 5th edition with the V as the set symbol is worth? I have an unopened box, I'm half tempted to just open it and do some fun trading in Hawaii.

Dan ;-)
Sign up for an account at www.magicarsenal.com and put me as your referrer (danztheman@gmail.com), that way i'll get 10% of your first purchase from them and you'll get $5 free towards your first order. Everyone wins!

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:04 am

Couple hundred, maybe. I'd be interested at something in that ballpark.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:12 am

I'd suggest not opening it.

Danztheman

Post by Danztheman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:39 am

I'd bet the birds alone is worth at least 100.00, im thinking the box is worth aproximately 500.00, just think of all those cards with the V symbol instead of otherwise lame 5th edition. I'd open it for less than 500, anyone interested can PM me.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Danztheman wrote:I'd bet the birds alone is worth at least 100.00
I wouldn't, given the difficulty I had moving mine for $50. It's white-bordered, unplayable, and non-unique.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:58 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:
Danztheman wrote:I'd bet the birds alone is worth at least 100.00
I wouldn't, given the difficulty I had moving mine for $50. It's white-bordered, unplayable, and non-unique.
:-/ Hmm, I've never heard Birds referred to as "unplayable."

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:00 pm

anything that can't swing fork of doom is unplayable nowadays :-||

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Dan-

$500 might be a little high, but you should be able to get between $300 and $500 on ebay. I personally would pay $200 for the box, but I'm sure there are people here with more resources than I that would be interested in buying a box from a set rumored to be more scarce than Beta.

5th is such a big set, you really can't count on opening a birds. In fact, the odds are against you with 36 packs and 110 rares.

If you do open it, I'd be very interested in buying a few sealed packs - I could probably afford that!

This is, after all, the only set with the V symbol. It also has 'alternate' art for several of the commons, and is actually a SMALLER set than English 5th, so some of the rarities were changed.

There is at least one misprint that I know of, but I think there might be more - let us know what you find if you open it, and PM me if you want to sell packs!

Squt

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:20 pm

Danztheman wrote:I'd bet the birds alone is worth at least 100.00, im thinking the box is worth aproximately 500.00, just think of all those cards with the V symbol instead of otherwise lame 5th edition. I'd open it for less than 500, anyone interested can PM me.
There is a Birds on ebay with a bin of 60, and its like the fifth time its listed.

Edit: I'd pay $300 for the box, if i had the cash. hell, i'd trade decently for it, just so i could draft that with the local chinese speakers... :D

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:29 am

I could take part of it. If C is going to crack it I can split it (and some other people?) with him since we live in the same city now.

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:24 am

I too wouldn't mind purchasing a few sealed packs out of your box. Though I doubt I would be able to pay the price for the entire box.
-- Plastered_Dragon -- A.K.A. Chuck Seggelin
* The Stone Rain Project v2.0 * My Blog *

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:43 am

I vote for leaving it sealed.
Sadly at the moment I have a lot of other projects going one but somehow I am interested in this display.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

Erl00
Librarities Legend

Post by Erl00 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:50 am

Hi There,

Sealed packs of Simplified Chinese 5th Edition are extremely rare. Among the most difficult packs to find.

There is however extremely low demand for these packs, hence the right price is difficult to assess.

I remember I paid $50 for the pack which is in my collection. Since, I have acquired 3 more packs of S-Chinese 5th for much less but I see no reason to have the price of a pack below $15.

This leads to a minimal price of a 36-pack box being $540.

I have a question for you. How do you know that your sealed box is really S-Chinese and now T-Chinese? Do you have a picture of the box?

Regards,
Eric.

Plastered_Dragon
Librarities Legend

Post by Plastered_Dragon » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:36 pm

The problem with obscure items like this is that you need to find a buyer who agrees with you on its value (and is actually willing to pay.)

I don't think you can really judge it based on sales of similar items. I once saw a certain rare card go for $140, and two months later I bought one for $15.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's worth whatever you think it's worth... now you'll have to find a buyer.

If you can find a buyer who collects sealed boxes, you probably can get $500. Or if you can find a buyer who wants to pull out a few sealed packs and sell the rest you might get in the neighborhood of $300-$450. On the other hand if you are talking to buyers who actually want to rip open the packs and add cards to their collection, I think you're going to get less.

Ultimately it comes down to how long you are willing to wait. If you want $500 for the box, you're probably going to have to wait a while, but almost anyone interested in foreign obscurities would probably buy a couple packs. So if you split it up, the money will start trickling in sooner. At Erl00's price ($15 per pack) I probably would be willing to buy 1-2 packs--personally I think $15 is too high, but that's just my opinion. I'd price these packs in the $10-$12 range, because I'm going to rip them open and I know that for my trouble I'm as likely to get An-Havva Constable as I am to get Birds of Paradise.

Except to an obscurities collector, anything pulled from a pack of BB Jap 4th is probably worth more than the same thing pulled from a pack of WB S-Ch 5th. Packs of Jap 4th can be had for $9-$10. So if you want to move the packs quickly I think you'll need to set the price somewhere near that (which is why I suggested $10-$12).

But if you are willing to wait, definitely keep the box sealed. Sooner or later you'll find a buyer, it's just a matter of time.
-- Plastered_Dragon -- A.K.A. Chuck Seggelin
* The Stone Rain Project v2.0 * My Blog *