Coldsnap product shots

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Coldsnap product shots

Post by mintcollector » Thu May 18, 2006 4:30 pm

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon May 22, 2006 3:17 pm

Here a shot and breakdown of the fat pack:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/1083

Raven_Fire

Post by Raven_Fire » Mon May 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Yuck, they still have the Pro Player cards. I know I shouldn't complain about "free" product, but why can't they include tokens instead of these. I'm also sad to see they went back to the spindown life counters. Those things get knocked all over the place.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Mon May 22, 2006 4:21 pm

Do we know yet if this is the only place to get SCL's, or are they going to be random in boosters too?

Squt

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon May 22, 2006 5:18 pm

Snow-covered lands will be random in boosters as well. Checking out the Ask Wizards from today for definite confirmation:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mt ... zards/0506

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon May 22, 2006 5:19 pm

squt wrote:Do we know yet if this is the only place to get SCL's, or are they going to be random in boosters too?

Squt
Mark, funny you mentioed that:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/1083

You get a 40 card pack of all snow-covered lands in the Fat Pack. I would guess you would see 8 of each land type. Tis probably implies 4 land artworks, 2 each.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Mon May 22, 2006 8:08 pm

That's kind of annoying, but neccesary I guess. I wonder what slot they'll fill? There was only 1 artwork for SCL's in IA. I wonder if the pre-cons will have the old art in the new frame for basic lands...

squt

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon May 22, 2006 8:21 pm

The new snow-covered lands will probably replace a common card. We had this kind of land distribution before with 7th Edition booster packs.

All in all, I am looking forward to Coldsnap. The expansion is very refreshing, given that many aspects we can usually predict do not apply here.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon May 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Wonder if they ever thought to do snow-covered dual lands? You know counts as a snow-covered plains and a snow-cover forest. They could have gotten away with it, as the snow covered lands are not basic lands and also doing such would not violate any reprint policy. Also lands like this would not be as powerful as regular duals are being non-basics, but could fill those land slots fairly well for multicolored decks.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon May 22, 2006 9:57 pm

The snow-covered lands are basic lands.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon May 22, 2006 10:12 pm

psrex wrote:The snow-covered lands are basic lands.
Wow...I always thought they were different and non-basic. I looked at the old IA FAQ to check on this and you are correct:

Q: Can Land Tax retrieve snow-covered lands from my library?
A: Effects such as Land Tax, Nature's Lore, and Untamed Wilds can retrieve snow-covered lands from the library.

Learned something new today.

[EDIT}: Then my snow-covered dual lands would be a violation of the reprint policy and thus could never be made.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Tue May 23, 2006 2:18 am

Well, not really, snow-covered and basic are two different supertypes. The snow-covered basic lands are basic because their rules text says so. They could (and might) print nonbasics that are also snow covered.

Of course, they'll never print anything as powerful as the original dual lands again. Just look at the "new duals" from Ravnica block.

That all said, I'm trying to figure out what the type line of that Snow-Covered Island says. It doesn't look like it says "Snow-Covered Basic Land--Island", which is what its current Oracle text would indicate.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue May 23, 2006 2:31 pm

flatmatt wrote:Well, not really, snow-covered and basic are two different supertypes. The snow-covered basic lands are basic because their rules text says so. They could (and might) print nonbasics that are also snow covered.

Of course, they'll never print anything as powerful as the original dual lands again. Just look at the "new duals" from Ravnica block.

That all said, I'm trying to figure out what the type line of that Snow-Covered Island says. It doesn't look like it says "Snow-Covered Basic Land--Island", which is what its current Oracle text would indicate.
Well given snow-covered basic lands are also considered basic lands, I am trying to understand how snow-covered duals would not be as powerful as original duals. For exmaple, lets say there was a Frozen Taiga made which counted as a Snow-Covered Forest and a Snow-Covered Mountain. Other than the fact that this card could be targeted by any snow-covered effects while a regular dual could not, this small fact is almost irrelevant as hardly anyone would main deck any snow-coverd effects unless they are play IA Block for sure. Thus Snow-Covered duals would be nearly as powerful as the originals unless I am missing some other glaring fact. So techinically snow-covered duals can be printed via sort a loophole. The reason being is that do not violate the re-print policy per say from the simple fact that they are snow-covered basic lands, but are technically as powerful as original duals. Now from a power perspective WOTC would have to be on crack to do so, as they techincally would be blowing the power curve the reprint policy and the Restricted and Banned list were designed for.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue May 23, 2006 9:14 pm

I think they will make off-color fetchlands for snow-covered lands.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue May 23, 2006 9:25 pm

dry cereal wrote:I think they will make off-color fetchlands for snow-covered lands.
So when are we going to see either cereal dual lands or frosted cereal lands?