What was your most stupid trade ever ?

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

What was your most stupid trade ever ?

Post by ende73 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:44 pm

As we all know prices of cards go up and down and sometimes we make very stupid trades :-P

Here are the best I recall back from 1994-95:

MY - 10 FBB Italian Dual Lands with Blue (including playsets of Underground Sea and Tundra)
HIS - 1 ENG Legends Mirror Universe

MY - 3 ENG NM Force of Will
HIS - ENG AL Balduvian Hordes

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:48 pm

haha, even adjusting for the prices at the time that duals trade is bad!

Back in 95 I once traded:
MY $90 worth of playable cards, including 10-12 UL rares at RV book value

for HIS Alpha Icy Manipulator

Rui Leal

Re: What was your most stupid trade ever ?

Post by Rui Leal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:57 pm

:-O
ende73 wrote:MY - 10 FBB Italian Dual Lands with Blue (including playsets of Underground Sea and Tundra)
HIS - 1 ENG Legends Mirror Universe
well.....
ende73 you win!

:wink:

Moebius
Legendary Big Footed Cow Collector

Post by Moebius » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:44 am

Gave Force of Will's away because I found Arcane Denial better. :-\

My tharmagoyf for his 2 dollar rare.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Force of Will

Post by equi-nox76 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:41 am

Before collections counterspells (especially FoW) I sold 4 FoW for just 5 DM (about 2,5 Euro, 4 USD). The buyer is a good friend and he still plays with them agains me >:-(
Another thing I did and posted one time on Nedermagic:
since protection sleeves did not exist I used to protect my cards with self-adhesive plastic sheeting on the front... well I had some alpha and beta stuff and I was VERY YOUNG... :-( :-( ](*,)
Chris

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:09 pm

One of my army buddies in Germany bought one of those shuffler machines so he didn't have to do it manually and it chewed up a lot of his cards before he'd admit it was a bad idea...

heartagram420
Librarities Hero

Post by heartagram420 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:01 pm

in 98' i passed on an UNL lotus for $125, and in 04' i passed on an UNL jet for $100 because i really wanted his japanese foil grim monolith ](*,)
looking to buy some japanese cards? check out my MOTL sale list (huge eternal collection)

tetsuo42
Librarities Hero

Post by tetsuo42 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:34 pm

After an IPA draft, I traded away my Foil Squee for 2-3 Yavimaya Coasts, and a couple other pain lands. The Squee might not have been at it's peak then, but I should have known better.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:54 pm

The most stupid trade I ever participated in worked out huge in my favour. Back in the fall of 96, I went to a local hobby shop in a mall, and they had a couple unlimited moxen in the cabinet (certainly priced less than they would be today). I asked him if he accepted trades against them, and he said sure. So I offered up some complete sets of Fallen Empires, Chronicles, Homelands, Alliances and he gave me book value for the sets towards the moxen (I think he used Scrye). So I scored huge in that trade, and to top it off, after the trade was complete as I was walking out of the store, I noticed a local big-time collector was walking in fresh from the ATM to buy the moxes 8-[

Said collector had a fit when he found out what the guy let the moxes go for. I guess he should have told the owner he was pulling out cash to buy them, instead of just assuming they'd still be there :-\'

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:24 am

Didn't you say something like you snooze, you lose ?

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Shop

Post by equi-nox76 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:49 am

berkumps wrote:The most stupid trade I ever participated in worked out huge in my favour. Back in the fall of 96, I went to a local hobby shop in a mall, and they had a couple unlimited moxen in the cabinet (certainly priced less than they would be today). I asked him if he accepted trades against them, and he said sure. So I offered up some complete sets of Fallen Empires, Chronicles, Homelands, Alliances and he gave me book value for the sets towards the moxen (I think he used Scrye). So I scored huge in that trade, and to top it off, after the trade was complete as I was walking out of the store, I noticed a local big-time collector was walking in fresh from the ATM to buy the moxes 8-[

Said collector had a fit when he found out what the guy let the moxes go for. I guess he should have told the owner he was pulling out cash to buy them, instead of just assuming they'd still be there :-\'
Did you ever entered this shop again? :-P

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:54 am

berkumps wrote:The most stupid trade I ever participated in worked out huge in my favour. Back in the fall of 96, I went to a local hobby shop in a mall, and they had a couple unlimited moxen in the cabinet (certainly priced less than they would be today). I asked him if he accepted trades against them, and he said sure. So I offered up some complete sets of Fallen Empires, Chronicles, Homelands, Alliances and he gave me book value for the sets towards the moxen (I think he used Scrye). So I scored huge in that trade, and to top it off, after the trade was complete as I was walking out of the store, I noticed a local big-time collector was walking in fresh from the ATM to buy the moxes 8-[

Wow, so you actually snipe in real life as well as on auction sites ! =D> :-P :-D

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:43 am

A guy I worked with during my fledgling days of Magic, was ordered by his wife to get rid of the cards, because they had a second baby on the way and needed the storage room cleared out. He, nor I knew the value of many cards, so he said if I bought him a carton of clove cigarettes, I could have two long boxes. I agreed and bought him the carton.

When I cam home, I opened the boxes and looked through them. Lots of Legends and Antiquities stuff. Random Beta stuff here and there some Dark and Unlimited with a pinch of Arabian Nights. No power or workshops or anything, but I did come across about sixty something unlimited and revised dual lands. The biggest score for me was an Arabian Nights Ali From Cairo. I took the dual lands to the next tournament I played in and two a piece for Kjeldoran Outposts - a total of four posts. I sold the rest for about four dollars a piece.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:25 pm

ende73 wrote:Wow, so you actually snipe in real life as well as on auction sites ! =D> :-P :-D
LOL, I never thought of it like that, but yeah, I guess that would be true.
PolarBearGod wrote:I sold the rest for about four dollars a piece
that truly sux :-(

I had a friend that opened a Revised Starter deck box that was an all rare box. He must have gotten >100 dual lands. I hope for his sake he lost them in his closet, as opposed to selling them off back in the day.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 pm

I saw an UNL Time Walk traded for a Lord of Tresserhorn, days after Alliances was released.

No joke.