Grats Squt!

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Grats Squt!

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Pretty soon you'll be President at WotC, but for now you're actually in a position to be useful..;-)
He's just this guy, ya know?

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:16 pm

huh? is he around? i havent been able to reach him...

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:40 pm

whats that ? :)

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Congratulations, Mark!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... aily/mm/50

Check out the end of the article for the news about Mark's new job.

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:52 am

Need an intern to sort your cards for various wotc projects? I'm your man
!!! I have all kinds of creative ideas for new wotc projects and promos that will make you very very rich!!!

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Congrats Mark!
Can I have your old job? :-D

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:31 am

Thanks everyone! It's great to work for a company that recognized hard work, and it's been BUSY! I've been hard to get ahold of because i basically get to work, run around like a maniac for 9 hours, then come home to see my boys for a couple of hours, and finally collapse into bed (and start the whole process over again). Between Zendikar, Planechase, GvL, Exiled, and Duels of the Planeswalkers, it's a pretty awesome time to be working on Magic.

If you're serious about wanting to work at WOTC, they really are replacing my old position - i believe MaRo's article links to the application if any of you are interested. After being there for 2 years, i can say with impunity it's exactly as awesome as you'd think it would be to work at WOTC.

I'm going to be at Gen Con this year - I hope to see some of you there! I'll be at the WOTC booth from time to time, but I'll be at a WOTC demo area near the ticket booths every day from 1 to 3.

Squt

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:53 am

squt wrote:Thanks everyone! It's great to work for a company that recognized hard work, and it's been BUSY! I've been hard to get ahold of because i basically get to work, run around like a maniac for 9 hours, then come home to see my boys for a couple of hours, and finally collapse into bed (and start the whole process over again). Between Zendikar, Planechase, GvL, Exiled, and Duels of the Planeswalkers, it's a pretty awesome time to be working on Magic.

If you're serious about wanting to work at WOTC, they really are replacing my old position - i believe MaRo's article links to the application if any of you are interested. After being there for 2 years, i can say with impunity it's exactly as awesome as you'd think it would be to work at WOTC.

I'm going to be at Gen Con this year - I hope to see some of you there! I'll be at the WOTC booth from time to time, but I'll be at a WOTC demo area near the ticket booths every day from 1 to 3.

Squt
Squt would you say marketing experience is a must, or would someone with a business degree possibly qualify? Mind you I have experience with Marketing in my coursework. I also have a strong background in information technology as that was my minor. I have spent the last 3 years since graduation working on website design/architecture my managing a small independent business. But I love gaming and seeing what you have done makes me =P~

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:57 am

wow. So many sets to look forward to. Are there any tech jobs or just mostly marketing jobs? I am actually trying to get an MBA but have tech background so not sure if it is a good fit at wizards...

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:40 am

implode wrote:
squt wrote:Thanks everyone! It's great to work for a company that recognized hard work, and it's been BUSY! I've been hard to get ahold of because i basically get to work, run around like a maniac for 9 hours, then come home to see my boys for a couple of hours, and finally collapse into bed (and start the whole process over again). Between Zendikar, Planechase, GvL, Exiled, and Duels of the Planeswalkers, it's a pretty awesome time to be working on Magic.

Squt
Squt would you say marketing experience is a must, or would someone with a business degree possibly qualify? Mind you I have experience with Marketing in my coursework. I also have a strong background in information technology as that was my minor. I have spent the last 3 years since graduation working on website design/architecture my managing a small independent business. But I love gaming and seeing what you have done makes me =P~
I'm not the hiring manager, but I actually hired the last Magic associate brand manager, so I can just say that it would absolutely not be a "must" for me. More of a "nice to have" kind of thing. My philosophy going in was that I wanted someone with superior ability to execute (as we tend to be long on theory and shorter on doing at WotC at times ;)) and who was just generally smart.

Above all, I made my #1 requirement a visible passion for gaming. Didn't have to be Magic, but it had to be *something*. I got over 500 resumes (this was over a year ago now) and circular filed every single one that didn't mention games on it.

As I said, I'm not the hiring manager, but I know her fairly well, and I'm guessing if you are smart, have passion, dedication, and a true desire to work on Magic, you should not let a lack of "proper" marketing experience hold you back from applying.

And oh yeah, congrats squt, well deserved!

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:22 pm

are there usually a lot of openings at wizards or they are pretty rare? Because it would be awesome to work there doing something one loves

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Woth's spot on - I have a degree in mass communications. It didn't hurt that I had 10 years experience marketing music before coming to WOTC, but I wouldn't discourage anyone for applying.

Like any medium-sized business, we have all kinds of openings from time to time. Here's a link to our jobs page:

http://hasbro.recruitmax.com/MAIN/caree ... e=Advanced

There are 6 jobs posted now, including a D&D Brand manager and Magic Brand manager.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:01 am

if i had a car and a work visa for the US I'd totally apply. Renton is't that far from the border.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:07 am

Volcanon wrote:if i had a car and a work visa for the US I'd totally apply. Renton is't that far from the border.
LOL I take it you have never seen I-405 at rush hour. Distance does not matter.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.