How do you catalog your collection(s)?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ninjason

How do you catalog your collection(s)?

Post by ninjason » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:53 pm

I've made a New Year's resolution to get my ever expanding Magic collection under control and produce a trade list that makes some sense (including separate have and want lists!).

Do any of you use tools to manage, catalog, and document your various collection(s) and trade lists? I've heard of Magic Workstation and it seems intriguing, but before I start down any particular path and put the effort into cataloging mass amounts of cards, I thought I'd check with the experts. Here is the URL if you want to check out what Magic Workstation can do. http://www.magicworkstation.com/

Thanks for your comments.
ninjason

ninjason

Post by ninjason » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:08 pm

I posted the same question on the Magic Online Traders League forum.

http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12 ... 17103.html

There were 2 suggestions; Magic Suitcase and MTG Studio. Has anyone here used either of these tools for cataloging their collection?
ninjason

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

I use my own database, created with MS Access. The advantages are:
- very quick
- countless possibilities to make lists, filters
- relational model
- easy expandable
But you should have knowledge and understanding in handling of databases.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:55 pm

I use an Excel spreadsheet I created to track the sets. As new MTG sets are released, it gets a little more complicated to navigate the tabs (each set I am collecting gets it's own tab). however, Excel lets me keep track of what sets I have collected completely, and I can filter out the cards I still need to collect. I also have it calculate percentages on a summary page. including promos, I currently have 93% of the cards I want to collect (ALL expansions, 3rd, 4th, and 10th+ core editions, plus all special sets and promos).

how you organize your cards is ultimately determined by how much detail you want to put into it.

Clay

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 pm

I admit, it needs a little work, but this is my cataloging method at the moment:

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:47 pm

Aaaaaggghhh!!!

As a neat freak, that just made me cry :-P

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 am

berkumps wrote:I admit, it needs a little work...
why? Looks fine to me!

I have random piles and boxes and such, I don't know exactly where everything is, but I didn remember seeing it in this pile over here...

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:16 am

ninjason,

I also use card binders and card sheets to store and organize my collection, and card shoeboxes to store the extras/leftovers.

I use tradecardsonline (see my signature line) to list my have and want lists. A problem with the website is that the promo list has occasional gaps or inconsistent information, and a couple duplicate listings. If you collect promos, my recommendation is to not trade for them with foreign players/collectors on that website (no offense, just the card condition or language is almost always wrong, wasting time and postage).

and berkumps, geez man, you need some kind of maid service to come straighten up that collection. still, saw some goodies in some of those stacks I'd love to have in my collection.

Clay

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 am

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:...still, saw some goodies in some of those stacks I'd love to have in my collection.
Clearly you must be talking about the Star Quest foils sitting on top of the Korean Exodus booster box. :-\'

Didyeah

Post by Didyeah » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:32 am

OMFG!!!!!!

Yo have a big Magic Store or what?

Couldn't imagine to take an entire piece of my house to stock magiccards (I have not enough cards to do that and not enough space ^^)

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:34 am

Well, they aren't exactly all MTG cards. There are cards from pretty much every scifi and fantasy ccg represented (including a metric ton of Wyvern).

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:16 am

Berkumps,

ummm, yes, clearly. :^o

I had no idea there had even BEEN foils for star quest (wasn't that game from the mid-90's?)

but are those B5 CCG booster boxes in the banana box (under a table)? I swear they look like they are from The Shadows expansion. And yes, Babylon 5 is another of the 3 CCGs I've collected.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:04 am

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote: but are those B5 CCG booster boxes in the banana box (under a table)? I swear they look like they are from The Shadows expansion. And yes, Babylon 5 is another of the 3 CCGs I've collected.
Ha, no those are Yugioh tins. However I have acquired a number of booster boxes of Premire, Shadows, Great War, Deluxe, Psi Corps, Severed Dreams, and Wheel of Fire since those pictures were taken. :wink:

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 am

You are my hero =D> =D> The only man I know that make me look ORGANIZED :-D

berkumps wrote:I admit, it needs a little work, but this is my cataloging method at the moment:

Mirror_Lich
Legendary Silent Forum Stalker

berk's horde

Post by Mirror_Lich » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:21 pm

Now I know why "I had a stack set aside for you...nowletmesee.." is such an understatement.

But wheres the evidence of the 300 lbs of stuff I sent you?! That hurts man- it better not be down there with the wyvern.....

Also, is that the baby's crib under the green milkcrate? Dont forget, small infants need food and sunlight...occasionally.