New Phyrexia Event Decks

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

New Phyrexia Event Decks

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Do these new New Phyrexia Event Decks have their own expansion symbol, do all of the cards use the New Phyrexia symbol, or do they use their own expansion symbol (i.e. Stoneforge Mystic: New expansion symbol, New Phyrexia expansion symbol, or Worldwake expansion symbol?)

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... arcana/714

Ram-Gang
Librarities Member

Re: New Phyrexia Event Decks

Post by Ram-Gang » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:Do these new New Phyrexia Event Decks have their own expansion symbol, do all of the cards use the New Phyrexia symbol, or do they use their own expansion symbol (i.e. Stoneforge Mystic: New expansion symbol, New Phyrexia expansion symbol, or Worldwake expansion symbol?)

I have been told the Stoneforges are indistinguishable from set ones so I believe the cards have they're original set symbol and rarity.

-Travis

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 am

Ram-Gang wrote:
Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:Do these new New Phyrexia Event Decks have their own expansion symbol, do all of the cards use the New Phyrexia symbol, or do they use their own expansion symbol (i.e. Stoneforge Mystic: New expansion symbol, New Phyrexia expansion symbol, or Worldwake expansion symbol?)

I have been told the Stoneforges are indistinguishable from set ones so I believe the cards have they're original set symbol and rarity.

-Travis
They are just pre-constructed decks like Intro Packs.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Just for fun, to show you how powerful (?) the New Phyrexia set is, the event deck "Rot From Within" has just 9 NP cards in it. 4 Glistener Elf (C), 4 Mutagenic Growth (C) and 1 Melira, Sylvok Outcast (R) (sideboard). War of Attrition has only 8, 1 Puresteel Paladin (R), 4 Porcelain Legionnaire (C), 2 Apostle's Blessing (C) and 1 Sickleslicer (U).

MB is well represented in both decks, however.

Gary

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Is this ironical Gary ?
Last edited by magic-belgium on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm

magic-belgium wrote:Is this ironic Gary ?
Well, just seems like a poor way to show off a new set. I'm not really into Standard but if these show off the best cards of the set.......

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:25 am

Well they are supposed to be a balanced standard deck, not weighted deck to show off the new set. Thats what the NPH precons are for (whatever they call them now) that give you the foil rare and a pack along w/ the deck.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 pm

I bought some Intro Packs lately. The Golem deck is quite good. You can have fun with these decks, but they are casual, not really competitive.

They're good if you want to play quickly and don't want to bother to look for competitive and expensive cards.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:44 pm

caquaa wrote:Well they are supposed to be a balanced standard deck, not weighted deck to show off the new set. Thats what the NPH precons are for (whatever they call them now) that give you the foil rare and a pack along w/ the deck.
your right. They are a special thing and I can understand why they didn't include a Sword of Fire and Ice (though that would have sold a LOT of event decks).

I guess what really doesn't fit is that they made a special deal out of Game Day to have factions compete and neither one of their Event Decks qualify for either faction (though Rot only needs one card changed, the sideboard rare). I used a modified to Mirrodin War of Attrition deck and got my butt kicked by almost everything--specially red. Of course it would have helped if I had some Sword of F&I but haven't been lucky enough to pull any--even for the collection, sigh.

I think the Event Deck concept needs some work--specially at almost twice the price of the theam decks.

Remember, for WotC, a rare card and a land cost the same.

Gary

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:42 pm

The problem is they made a poison deck..for NPH, which doesn't actually have THAT many poison cards in it...
He's just this guy, ya know?

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:17 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
caquaa wrote:Well they are supposed to be a balanced standard deck, not weighted deck to show off the new set. Thats what the NPH precons are for (whatever they call them now) that give you the foil rare and a pack along w/ the deck.
your right. They are a special thing and I can understand why they didn't include a Sword of Fire and Ice (though that would have sold a LOT of event decks).

I guess what really doesn't fit is that they made a special deal out of Game Day to have factions compete and neither one of their Event Decks qualify for either faction (though Rot only needs one card changed, the sideboard rare). I used a modified to Mirrodin War of Attrition deck and got my butt kicked by almost everything--specially red. Of course it would have helped if I had some Sword of F&I but haven't been lucky enough to pull any--even for the collection, sigh.

I think the Event Deck concept needs some work--specially at almost twice the price of the theam decks.

Remember, for WotC, a rare card and a land cost the same.

Gary
I agree with you. They are tight and are always afraid to give the buyer too much for what he pays. For fear it would destroy the second market...

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Gryfalia wrote:The problem is they made a poison deck..for NPH, which doesn't actually have THAT many poison cards in it...
Well the event deck isn't a bad poison deck except for the 4 Overgrown Battlement cards that seem to be completly out of place and where 3 more Blight Mamba and another Inkmoth would have been so much more useful.

axcel
Librarities Member

Post by axcel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 pm

magic-belgium wrote:I agree with you. They are tight and are always afraid to give the buyer too much for what he pays. For fear it would destroy the second market...
I don't think it's to protect the secondary market. It's to protect the primary market, i.e. people who'd like to buy that product - deck, I mean. Not individual card.

If the value of cards inside exceeds greatly the price, the product is gone in seconds. And there's "hi, I want that white deck I can play FNM with", "Sorry, kiddo, they're all gone because there's two Mystics inside and people bought them just to make a profit out of it". The (un)famous Rat's Nest was also impossible to buy and what if somebody just wanted to play with rats and not get the top rare of the set easily? And with Commander decks it's getting ridiculous as well... In the store where I was going to play LP, I was told the demand was so high (especially for two decks) that just for the deck I'd have to pay $47 (+ fixed entry fee independently of deck's price). Why is that? Because the total value of cards exceeds the MSRP.

Default User
Librarities Hero

Event decks

Post by Default User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:38 am

As was pointed above, the cards are almost indisguishable from Worldwake originals. All the Event decks cards have different colour depth than the regulars. Just the same as with the Deckbuilder toolbox cards.

If you have a pile with both versions, you can always tell, which cards came from a different printing. The toolbox cards had deeper colours, while the event decks have paler colours than 'regular' cards. I tested that last Sunday with a dealers stock of Inkhmoth Nexuses, with no problems telling the three Event deck copies he had apart. The new versions also feel slightly more slippery, but that might pass. The just opened cards from the event decks just reek of ink thinner, but the smell should fade at some point.

Hope this helps,
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.