Question about Japanese Foil 7th Edition

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Grapes17
Librarities Hero

Question about Japanese Foil 7th Edition

Post by Grapes17 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:43 pm

I just picked up 33 packs of Japanese + 4 packs of Chinese (simplified I think) 7th edition. I cracked them all and didn't get a single foil card at all. I have other Japanese foil 7th edition cards I had gotten previously, and know they exist. I find it very odd that I didn't get a single foil at all in these boosters.

What could be the explanation for this? I got them from a small shop, from an opened box. The box was quite dusty, and had been sitting on the self for some time at this shop.

I opened them at home, and after opening 10 of them I became suspicious of why I hadn't seen a foil yet. I kept opening, no foils. I started looking at the boosters to look for signs of tampering, and couldn't find any. The flap was still fully connected to the booster. I could find no cuts or openings on any of the boosters. No signs of heavy handling at all. They seemed like legit sealed boosters...

Does anyone have any idea why I didn't get any foils out of these 37 boosters? Was this a set where it was easy to pull the boosters that had foils vs ones that didn't? I am puzzled, and it seems I may have bought search boosters, but I don't know how... ????

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I don't think it was any easier to fish out the foils back then than it is now, but that certainly sounds like what happened. In the early days, foils were more rare than they were now. I remember opening whole sealed boxes and only pulling 3 foils. Since you have 33 packs of Japanese, that sounds suspiciously like what happened here. The 4 Chinese packs are probably just regular bad luck.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:14 am

I do recall about that time of people claiming to be able to pick out boosters with foils in them (US). I never saw this claim verified.

Gary

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 am

It's always been very easy to check which boosters have foils. A foil card weighs approx 0,10g additional. With an electronic device is my favourite method. Back when I discovered it, I used to do it for fun and tell my draft friends "I can guess where the foil is".

33 Boosters is just too much, specially when japanese foils are valued that much.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:11 am

I did see a guy who could do it by feel, since the foil card tends to bend slightly. I couldn't duplicate his results, but I did see him do it almost flawlessly.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:07 pm

gzeiger wrote:I did see a guy who could do it by feel, since the foil card tends to bend slightly. I couldn't duplicate his results, but I did see him do it almost flawlessly.
I have seen someone do this also almost flawlessly. I also was not able to detect it with my fingers, but some ppl can. It is certainly possible those packs had been scanned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pR_1vM2nRU