If It's Too Good to be True, It probably Isn't!

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

If It's Too Good to be True, It probably Isn't!

Post by notsofasteddie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:11 pm

A recent email I received:

"Yes, I am looking to sell my last mtg collection of 10,000 rares, and 200 revised dual lands, and two beta power nine sets for $4,000. I accept paypal (the address is: mtg_asian_girl@yahoo.com) if you want to buy now. I can be reached at (850) 591-4109 and I will answer the phone if you call me today. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My loss is your gain! … The 10,000 mtg rare cards are all in near mint condition. The 200 revised dual lands are also all in very good condition. I also have two complete beta power nine sets (the 18 beta power nine cards). I think that the value of these cards is well over $100,000 and my asking price of $4,000 is extremely reasonable. Please call me at (850) 591-4109 in advance to purchase. I live in Miami, Florida and I have kept these 10,218 all rare cards (estimated) in very good condition.

You may have 30 days to look over this collection and return if unsatisfied. Name: Patricia Chen (mtg_asian_girl@yahoo.com). Also, I am 38 years old."

markers
Legendary Signed Card collector

Post by markers » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:20 pm

I think this a variation of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud

Don't do it...

10218 rares is an estimate?!
Last edited by markers on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed card collector

Alpha - AL, ST, EX, UD, REV, UNL, LO & MO: 100% signed
Grand Total signed cards: >43'000

I have a Youtube Channel

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Re: If It's Too Good to be True, It probably Isn't!

Post by effai » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:21 pm

notsofasteddie wrote:

You may have 30 days to look over this collection and return if unsatisfied. Name: Patricia Chen (mtg_asian_girl@yahoo.com). Also, I am 38 years old."
The end of the mail made me think of something very different than a mtg collection :-\'
Why is she giving her age anyway ?
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:55 pm

markers wrote:I think this a variation of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud

Don't do it...

10218 rares is an estimate?!
She is just being consistent. 10,000 rares + 200 duals + 18 P9 = 10,218

And with her age listed, maybe she is looking for an aging MTG player to trade services for cards. Happy endings for both, I guess.......

markers
Legendary Signed Card collector

Post by markers » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:09 pm

you're not the only one that got the email:

http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12 ... 17374.html
Signed card collector

Alpha - AL, ST, EX, UD, REV, UNL, LO & MO: 100% signed
Grand Total signed cards: >43'000

I have a Youtube Channel

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Has anyone ever bothered to call the number?

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:26 pm

I think its our buddy (can't remember the name) who used to work out of the Tampa area. He was a real loon. He used numbers of actual businesses run by Asian Americans (restaurants, dry cleaners, etc.) and would have instructions for what the usually-clueless help were supposed to say if someone called.

He would never deal face-to-face, even if you claimed you were local. If you strung him along on the phone (he would usually have a phone number taken so he could call back) he would eventually get verbally abusive. He was also known to endlessly harass those who called or e-mailed him - some for months. He managed to skirt the law pretty carefully, as they were aware of him and his scams.

If you finally got to the point of transaction, cards would be produced. But the cards would be crap rares (and often times not all rares). "Duals" would end up being something else, and P9 would be proxies at best. Better to stay away...........

98ViperGTS

Post by 98ViperGTS » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 pm

hammr7 wrote:I think its our buddy (can't remember the name) who used to work out of the Tampa area. He was a real loon. He used numbers of actual businesses run by Asian Americans (restaurants, dry cleaners, etc.) and would have instructions for what the usually-clueless help were supposed to say if someone called.

He would never deal face-to-face, even if you claimed you were local. If you strung him along on the phone (he would usually have a phone number taken so he could call back) he would eventually get verbally abusive. He was also known to endlessly harass those who called or e-mailed him - some for months. He managed to skirt the law pretty carefully, as they were aware of him and his scams.

If you finally got to the point of transaction, cards would be produced. But the cards would be crap rares (and often times not all rares). "Duals" would end up being something else, and P9 would be proxies at best. Better to stay away...........
I believe you're talking about Pedro Quintero

OGB
Librarities Hero

Post by OGB » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:08 am

98ViperGTS wrote:
hammr7 wrote:I think its our buddy (can't remember the name) who used to work out of the Tampa area. He was a real loon. He used numbers of actual businesses run by Asian Americans (restaurants, dry cleaners, etc.) and would have instructions for what the usually-clueless help were supposed to say if someone called.

I believe you're talking about Pedro Quintero
You mean the guy who got caught stealing cards on camera in a store in NYC?

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:31 am

There is a post on this over on MOTL. The guy's name is Daniel Chen.

He was a royal pain in the earlier days of Ebay (he had a scam where he got unsuspecting Ebayers with decent feedback to offer his collection for a fee. They would run the auction, kick most of the money to him, and he would send out a bunch of worthless cards. He left the Ebay seller to deal with the mess.

He is even worse now. He runs these ridiculous ads, then latches on to whomever responds. Some prior victims got peppered with e-mails and phone calls (if you made the mistake of sending him a valid phone number) for months. Definitely some screws loose, but he somehow manages to keep from getting in too much legal trouble. He always claims misunderstandings between what he actually offers and what victims think he is offering.

He's been doing this crap for at least 6 or 7 years that I am aware of. He's definitely not worth the bother.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:04 pm

This guys has been at it a long time. We even talked about it back on the old boards years ago.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... light=chen
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:06 pm

hammr7 wrote:There is a post on this over on MOTL. The guy's name is Daniel Chen.

He was a royal pain in the earlier days of Ebay (he had a scam where he got unsuspecting Ebayers with decent feedback to offer his collection for a fee. They would run the auction, kick most of the money to him, and he would send out a bunch of worthless cards. He left the Ebay seller to deal with the mess.
Is this why so many Beta Booster boxes are being auctioned by FL sellers?