8th Edition test prints

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ram-Gang
Librarities Member

8th Edition test prints

Post by Ram-Gang » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:19 am

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... arcana/839

Looks like there is a lot more then we knew about.

-Travis

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:58 am

"One of the most closely guarded secrets ..." :-D

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:45 am

Uh oh, we now have more cards to track down! I have some that are already previously known & listed, but mine have a white back. Perhaps these don't?

I understand their intentions, casting cost on the left & all... but they fail to understand that we would be playing with new cards & old cards at the same time.

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:06 am

I'm almost positive none of the cards from the top (flame spirit, etc) of the article ever got actually made like that.

The ones on the bottom definitely did, however. There are far more unique pictures of those cards on the bottom than have shown up. To date I think the only ones that ever sold publicly were the eBay ones where someone chopped up a red/green deck and sold the contents bit by bit.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:30 pm

The two I have are red (? don't remember) and green (squirrels nest). I play the nest in my squirrel deck and it does make for good conversation when it comes up (more funny is when nobody even notices it...).

A little history. Note the year. It was the year after we sold to Hasbro (Dec '99). Part of the sales agreement was that Peter would stay on for awhile to provide Vince some backup as he took over as CEO.

While Peter was in Europe this all came up. I'm told that it was kept under wraps because someone was biding their time till Peter left. Well they didn't wait long enough. He got the word about what was trying to happen, came back to the office and trashed it. As mentioned, mixing the two designs just seemed dumb to him.

Gary

andytalaga
Librarities Legend

Post by andytalaga » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Anyone actually have one of these for trade? I want one for my EDH deck. I tried to get the city of brass of off Audric but that was a no go. please contact me if you have some for trade.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:59 pm

I would love to get some of those test print ! 8-[

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Just to confirm, the test prints with the Judgment expansion symbol were from playtest decks, and the ones with unglued expansion were not?

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:30 pm

berkumps wrote:Just to confirm, the test prints with the Judgment expansion symbol were from playtest decks, and the ones with unglued expansion were not?
I believe you are correct. The unglued ones from what I've been told were to see what the cards would look like visually since they have no intention of changing the back of the cards they only came with white backs. All the basic lands with unglued symbols were printed with the Parallax Tide picture. The judgement test prints were actually from a red/green deck as least the ones that came on eBay roughly 4 or 5 years ago. No unglued decks were assembled from what I've been told but this may not be the case.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:52 pm

Magic61983 wrote:
berkumps wrote:Just to confirm, the test prints with the Judgment expansion symbol were from playtest decks, and the ones with unglued expansion were not?
I believe you are correct. ... The judgement test prints were actually from a red/green deck as least the ones that came on eBay roughly 4 or 5 years ago....
My 'nest has a judgment symbol and a white back. It looks/feels like it is not card stock but I would not really be able to tell unless I tore it in two..that won't happen. Do these cards have Magic backs or white?

Gary

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:17 am

The stuff with the Parallax pics, Adarkar Wastes, etc...those are magic backed cards.

All the JUD stuff that you're talking about Gary is white backed, like your Squirrel Nest.

And I'm pretty sure there were never any Unglued decks, we never got to play with those in R&D.

Most of what we got JUD wise was dumped in the shredder by the way, I witnessed it going into the locked shred containers :)

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:21 am

Worth wrote:The stuff with the Parallax pics, Adarkar Wastes, etc...those are magic backed cards.
These are white backed too :)

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:26 am

Hah, you would know, Favian.

I will confirm when I get home and can look at my stuff, but I could have sworn the Islands/Adarkars/Giant Growths that have been posted here over the last 5-6 years were Magic backs.

Maybe I'm thinking of the City of Traitors/Survivals. I know for sure THOSE were Magic backed.

In the interest of completeness, I know the 5DN test prints are all white backed too.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:37 am

Yea, I too have a Judgement symboled test print on different stock, with a white back.

mystical_tutor

Re: 8th Edition test prints

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:53 am

Ram-Gang wrote:http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... arcana/839

Looks like there is a lot more then we knew about.

-Travis
Well, Travis, this just goes to show that there are still gems to be found in the old archives. Thanks much for sharing it as I never would have found it.

Gary