Storing booster packs ?

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ninjason

Post by ninjason » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:52 am

OK, GlobalBooster wins. I thought I was doing good with my entire collection being in the UltraPro black binders with the gold Magic logo on the front.
ninjason

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:04 am

Well the flags, I just tried to fan them out a little bit to show what I had bought, I am sure if I had taken a bit more time and effort I would have spaced them out a little more evenly.

I actually copied the flags used by Magiclibrarities in their guide to overseas editions, hence the Taiwan flag for traditional Chinese and the Brazilian flag for Portuguese. Italian and Korean will be in there somewhere!

I ordered about 5 pages of each flag, 50 to a page but a few extra for the USA/English boosters. They actually worked out to be a bit cheaper when you buy them in bulk, if I had a working printer I would have just printed them as I needed them.

I actually use the four pocket pages for the demo games as they are too thick to fit into the 6 pocket pages. They are the only ones to fall out if I turn the pages too quickly.

I have started to migrate my spreadsheets from Microsoft Excel to Google Docs so I can post the Have/Wants online. The main drawback is that I have been using pictures of the boosters in my excel spreadsheet but I want to use the names of the characters in the online Doc to save all the hassle of moving the pictures, which will require saving them individually, uploading them to photobucket and linking them.

I figure that using the characters' names will make life much easier. Only problem being is that I stopped playing around The Urza Block so I have no idea who most of the characters are. I have used the Fat Pack Players guides for some but the rest will require a bit of a slog through the Magic Info sites to identify all the pictures. Then I will post a link!

As to the three ring binder compressor bar with the odd spaced holes, I believe that it is only designed to go over two of the rings to hold things in place. The third hole is so that it can be used on several different types of ring binder depending on the ring spacings, but always only over two of the rings.

Personally I would want it over all the rings so I am going to keep on looking. I have sent an email to the company who makes the binders and asked them to fix the problem, we can't be the only people who have brought it up.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:08 am

ninjason wrote:OK, GlobalBooster wins. I thought I was doing good with my entire collection being in the UltraPro black binders with the gold Magic logo on the front.
What pages do you use?

I tried the 6 pocket verticals, I found that the ones closer to the edges were tighter than the middle pockets and they were all too tight for the loosely wrapped fourth edition boosters. I thought I was going to do more damage by putting them in the folder than by leaving them in the shoe box.

Now I just have to find a way of labelling the spines as it is pretty hit or miss whether I get the right binder the first time. A big gold Magic logo would be nice as well.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Hey GlobalBoosterHunter,

Nice to meet you - welcome aboard =D>

I love the effort you put into organizing and displaying you collection. It just makes me cringe when I see people willing to spend tons of $$$ to get the best stuff possible, but then won't spend anything to display or store it nicely. Despite the shipping costs, I broke down and ordered one of the Cigarette Card Albums to try out - it looks very nice for my small booster collection. I have my entire artist set in albums with slipcovers (I'm a sucker for them, lol).

Thanks for the info - I'll let you know how it works when it arrives :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:15 am

thulnanth wrote:Hey GlobalBoosterHunter,

I love the effort you put into organizing and displaying you collection. It just makes me cringe when I see people willing to spend tons of $$$ to get the best stuff possible, but then won't spend anything to display or store it nicely. Despite the shipping costs, I broke down and ordered one of the Cigarette Card Albums to try out - it looks very nice for my small booster collection. I have my entire artist set in albums with slipcovers (I'm a sucker for them, lol).

Take it easy,
Jared
They are great albums, I had one back in the early 90s for my cigarette cards and it is still fine today, hasn't faded or split.

They are also pretty versatile, I use them for phonecards, banknotes, coins, pamphlets and just about anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I use this company quite a bit, they will mix and match the different pages for you and you can ask for one of each type to try. They are pretty slow to post to Australia but they were trying to keep costs down.

Let me know what you think of it when it gets to you, I am trying to get some interleaves but they are usually thin card not plastic, no good for our humidity.

Mark

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:48 pm

I love the effort you put into organizing and displaying you collection. Take it easy,
Jared
Mark, I'd like to spin off of this to encourage you to put a thread under the "collections" section and link photos of your collection.

After all that work the world deserves to be able to appreciate it.

Gary

AbsolutAlphas
Librarities Hero

Post by AbsolutAlphas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:

I love the effort you put into organizing and displaying you collection. Take it easy,
Jared
Mark, I'd like to spin off of this to encourage you to put a thread under the "collections" section and link photos of your collection.

After all that work the world deserves to be able to appreciate it.

Gary
I second that. This is really cool.

Jake

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 am

I can do that!

At the moment the the collection is more 'gaps' than boosters but I will take some time over the weekend to think about the best way to get some happy snaps and I will stick a post in the other section.

Cheers

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:59 am

My name is Cesar, and I am from Madrid, Spain. Around 2004, I decided that I should do something with all those boosters I was winning (But not opening) in tournaments, and I decided to go for a Booster Global Set in English. It's already almost done, although it lacks the Summer Edition one, and some Demos or modern packs. When I was about to finish, I decided to go Global for real, but at the end I saw that I couldn't do it, not just that affording for it is hard, but the real problem was that I didn't have place for them: It's hard when you are a 27 year old bachelor and live in a 35m2 apartment. Finally, in January 2012, a friend pushed hard, we were back in collecting and decided back to find room enough for them and try Global. This has been my adventure with Boosters.

I've also read how much people liked how GlobalBoosterHunter was storing his collection, so I'll post mine too, as I told him we might find advice one to each other for his collection. Let's see if it helps all of you too.

Storing my Booster Packs Global Sets, by CHaPuZaS

Around 2009 or so I was really happy to find what I still believe to be the perfect way to protect a Booster Pack.

The sleeves custom made for Dixit by Swan Panasia Games can protect a booster, and if we put the Booster and the those sleeves into the Oversized Deck Protector Sleeves from Ultra Pro (Headed for use as protection with Planechase Planes), this is the result:

A handsome, protective system for a Booster Pack. You can have it lie in a table and it will be protected, but what I do is put them in a 2-Slot Gaming Box by Ultra Pro and have them there until I find room enough or buy Albums for the Boosters.

In the end, having them in a box is very protective, but it's not easy to handle or worship :-D. I use to go to my local coin and stamps shops to buy a lot of materials/artifacts for card fake detections, and in one of those visits I found an enormous Album that would be perfect for my Boosters.

It's a very beautiful Album from the Leuchtturm, the model is Grande Classic Album Gigant, and I choosed burdeoux for its colour.

I choose to use 2x2 Importa Sheets:

This album can hold at from 40 to 52 15-Card Booster Packs, and looks likes this when out of the cover:

This is how it looks the album, and the boosters, when open. I like it very much.

And just in case you want to test/buy something, I use to buy at Filatelia Sanza, a confident and traditional coin and stamp shop from Madrid, or can just PM me for info.

Edit: Images Resized.

Edit2: Adding prizes of the products shown. Leuchtturm Album Gigante : 29.95€, Importa Sheets: 10€ (Pack of ten Sheets), Ultra Pro Oversized Sleeves: 3,95€ (Pack of 100 Sleeves) and Swan Games Dixit Sleeves: 4€ (Pack of 100 Sleeves).
Last edited by CHaPuZaS on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:13 am

Great minds think alike!

You use the same company for your binders that I do! 'Leuchtturm' = 'Lighthouse'.

You went for the Gigante size, if I hadn't already bought 3 or 4 normal width Grande size I probably would have bought that as well.

How heavy is the binder when full? Does the weight of the extra pages pull on the rings at all? You have 2 less boosters per page than me so it might be about the same weight on the pages!

I have to squeeze a few of the boosters into the 6- pocket pages but at least they stay in place, do you have any issues with boosters moving around when you turn the pages?

Jealous of the Urza Saga booster as well!

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:24 am

Cesar;

Great job! Your presentation is awesome. Please put an entry in the Collections section so when this thread gets burried we will be able to find your work.

Gary

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:32 am

mystical_tutor wrote:I am specially interested in the clips. Are these something that came with a certain binder or were you able to find these seperatly?
Some of my albums come with a couple of plastic thingies, which on further investigation are called 'sheet lifters'...

They seem to work in a similar way to the compression bars (Without the compression). When the album is closed it pushes the pages together and I guess it stops any of the pages touching the rings. The extra wide bits probably stop the pages sagging when the album is stored upright.

The company is out of stock at the moment and it is 6 to 10 weeks for new stock to arrive, two for $3. Looks like they have many holes so will fit most albums, I have a three ring binder somewhere so I will try it out.

Google shows lots of similar items but these are the only ones I have seen with the curved profile, most others are flat. Edit: curved profiles are for O- shaped Rings, the flat profiles are for the D-ring binders.

Last edited by GlobalBoosterHunter on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:15 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Some of my albums come with a couple of plastic thingies, which on further investigation are called 'sheet lifters'...

The company is out of stock at the moment and it is 6 to 10 weeks for new stock to arrive, two for $3. Looks like they have many holes so will fit most albums, I have a three ring binder somewhere so I will try it out.
Please let me know how the 3-ring binder works. Hate to transfer the whole collection to 4-ring binders--though I do kinda like them. Maybe I could get a 4-hole punch and re-punch my present pages.

Gary

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:09 pm

WOW those binders of boosters look so cool; it makes me want to collect sealed packs! VERY COOL =D>

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:

Take it easy,
Jared
They are great albums, I had one back in the early 90s for my cigarette cards and it is still fine today, hasn't faded or split.

They are also pretty versatile, I use them for phonecards, banknotes, coins, pamphlets and just about anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I use this company quite a bit, they will mix and match the different pages for you and you can ask for one of each type to try. They are pretty slow to post to Australia but they were trying to keep costs down.

Let me know what you think of it when it gets to you, I am trying to get some interleaves but they are usually thin card not plastic, no good for our humidity.

Mark
Hey Mark,

I got the album in and is PERFECT... thank you so very much for pointing me in that direction!!! The packs fit great, plenty of room top-to-bottom but just enough side-to-side. It looks awesome and the slipcover helps protect everything. In addition the 3/page thing helps with not being too much weight per page, and each one can display a block to boot. =D>

I have a very modest booster collection - 1 of each English booster from every "original frame" card set (43 total). By “original frame” I am referring to cards BEFORE they changed the layout with Mirrodin / 8th Edition. That being said I don't need anywhere near as much room as you do, so these albums are great. As you said they'll hold 30 packs each; I currently need 43 for my collection, plus I have laying around 12 extra boosters and 4 non-MtG boosters, for a total of... 59. Of course, at $50 (US) shipped they weren't cheap, so I only ordered 1 to start with... my 2nd is on its way. :wink:

Now I just have to get the last booster I need for my collection... lousy Beta ](*,) At least Len gave me an empty wrapper for a placeholder (lol).

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.