Ink-stained Savannah

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Magic61983 wrote:At this point if the Savannah was real wouldn't we see more blue blotched revised cards by this time? fvzappa if you know the owner check the edge of the card to see if the blue bleed into the edge similar to what you check for if a card is marketed. If so then the blue spots did not happen when the image was printed on the card.
Aren't you speculating that others escaped the incinerator and therefore should be in circulation and that someone didn't just trash them when they pulled them?

The fact that this is a Savannah may explain it's survival whereas a basic land or a Kudzu with the same marking may have been trashed.

Sad to say, I know players that have tossed miscut, crimped, and/or misprinted cards--not everyone is a collector.

Gary

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:37 am

It's much easier for me to rationalize the existence of Alexis' cards than the Savannah. A spot on a printing plate runs out of ink, has a trapped air bubble, some small amount of adsorbed grease in the cardstock keeps ink from sticking there... The Disk and Assassin are clearly missing ink, while the Savannah has extra ink.

In reference to the question of why we haven't sen another one, I once (Fall of 2000) had an Alpha cut Revised Savannah. I've never seen or heard of another Revised card, or any rare, with that defect. Could have been cut by a player, but I consider it unlikely given that it was mint (so not covering up damage), not worth enough at the time to be worth covering upcorner damage, and was traded to me online without advance notice of this feature, which rules out faking a misprint. Sadly I too traded it away at no premium.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:12 am

I know quite a few people who, to get around the Alpha rule from ages ago did cut their cards to Alpha corners.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 pm

gzeiger wrote:It's much easier for me to rationalize the existence of Alexis' cards than the Savannah. A spot on a printing plate runs out of ink, has a trapped air bubble, some small amount of adsorbed grease in the cardstock keeps ink from sticking there... The Disk and Assassin are clearly missing ink, while the Savannah has extra ink.

In reference to the question of why we haven't sen another one, I once (Fall of 2000) had an Alpha cut Revised Savannah. I've never seen or heard of another Revised card, or any rare, with that defect. Could have been cut by a player, but I consider it unlikely given that it was mint (so not covering up damage), not worth enough at the time to be worth covering upcorner damage, and was traded to me online without advance notice of this feature, which rules out faking a misprint. Sadly I too traded it away at no premium.
I sold an Alpha cut Revised Stone Rain to a rarities member a few years back. If it was cut by a player or not I have no idea.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61